PDA

View Full Version : Go x2 or keep fx 55

Saintster
12-23-05, 10:12 AM
Hey all..Merry christmas and Happy holidays(cheers)

My sons rig is in need of an upgrade he's still runs socket 478 besides his mobo crapped out. So I'm thinking of going dual core. I was looking at the 4400 because of price range( I still have other pc goodies to buy) and cache.
I would give him the fx 55. I know the benfits but would gaming suffer any? I'll have a 7800 gtx hooked up to the cpu. My fx is a clawhammer at 2.8. i run alot of background apps so this is really the main reason i think my benefit will come from. I have read that dual core cpus have problems with some games? Is this true? Thanks !(xmassign)

Riptide
12-23-05, 10:37 AM
Sure gaming would probably suffer a tad. You're dropping clock speed and since most games out now don't have robust dual core support then you don't make up much of the difference with the second core.

Saintster
12-23-05, 10:44 AM
That's kind of what i thought. I just got a samsung 940 b which is a 1280 x 1024 resolution that I use(btw kick arse monitor for the price) I think the lure of being able to multi task will override the power of the fx for gaming. I don't think I'll lose much at that res. thanks

Riptide
12-23-05, 10:45 AM
I would get the X2 myself. Or if you are patient and loaded wait for the FX-60.

Saintster
12-23-05, 10:51 AM
I think i will go with the x2. I'm not to patient although I make good money that fx 60 is gonna be too much. Dual core it is. Thanks!

Medion
12-23-05, 10:55 AM
If you think your son will be upgrading the CPU again within 2 years or less, get the FX-55. It's a much better gaming CPU today. If you get the X2, he'll have it replaced before any games make serious use of it.

If you think your son will keep the CPU at least 2-3 years, get the X2. It's more future proof, and a better CPU for multi-tasking and multi-threaded apps.

Absolution
12-23-05, 01:42 PM
i tried to sell my fx-55 once but no one was really willing to pay the price, i mean if anyone is going to go into that price range, they will just buy it new

that being said, im happy that I kept it in some ways, the gamming performance is better and my overclock will probably be higher once i get my new cooler :)

though i would like the multitasking performance of an x2

Saintster
12-24-05, 12:57 AM
I have the fx 55 in my rig right now.After much thought I'll just buy him a 3700 venice and keep my fx55 It's only four months old and i would rather buy another gtx and an xfi and some speakers mouse and keyboard before I go and buy another cpu. I'll go dual core when I build my next rig next summer! Besides I need a bigger hd this one is almost filled up so i was looking at the wd 16mb cache 7200 250 gb model.

wheeljack12
12-24-05, 11:47 AM
by next summer you should be able to get the fx-60 like Riptide said. From what I have heard, it's going to be a dual core fx.

tacos4me
12-24-05, 11:52 AM
You can get the FX60 on eBay right now for around $1k USD. It is dual core.

a12ctic
12-24-05, 12:05 PM
You can get the FX60 on eBay right now for around $1k USD. It is dual core.
no you cant, amd doesnt even know the release date, thats odviosly a lie... And i just searched and there were none... Make up more lies please

GlowStick
12-24-05, 12:26 PM
I switched from an FX-53 to a X2 4400+ and for gameing i didnt notice much of a diffrence. However the only gains i get is from compileing software. So dont switch unless you compile everything your self.

Roliath
12-24-05, 01:41 PM
no you cant, amd doesnt even know the release date, thats odviosly a lie... And i just searched and there were none... Make up more lies please
don't be so quick to judge.
There was an auctions on ebay for an FX60 ($1600), BUT it was taken down.
The FX60 is "supposed" to come out January 10th.

slick
12-24-05, 01:46 PM

Why are you such an ass all the time?

Yes there were FX60's up on Ebay for about a day, I saw them myself, a guy over at ExtremeSystems (the one who bought them) even showed us screenshots of them, they have since been removed.

a12ctic
12-24-05, 02:13 PM
Well, even if there was one, it still wouldnt be possible for this guy to get one...