PDA

View Full Version : "nv4_disp" and "Infinite Loop" w/FX5700

Soluzar
12-23-05, 10:15 AM
My machine is not a gaming rig. It is simply supposed to be a system that I can depend on. It used to be just that, for the first 11 months of its lifespan. Now I keep getting freeze-ups, sometimes accompanied with an error message about infinite loops, and the nVidia display driver.

What can I do about this, and why did the problem not occur for the first 11 months since building this PC? I have made no changes in the last month, but now I get these errors randomly at various intervals. I've tried a lot of things, but nothing seems to work.

Since nVidia came on the market, I've bought nothing but GeForce graphics cards. I prefer them because they support Linux as well as Windows, but I'll be forced to reluctantly change that policy if this issue is really attributable to the nVidia drivers.

EDIT: If it could be a symptom of a failing graphics card, then I'm distinctly unimpressed. This card is only around a year old. That's not a long enough life.

fade11
12-27-05, 07:59 PM
Same here, freezes in 2d...then "nv4_disp has died" or something, then monitor goes off a few seconds later. Happens every single fecking day. Started when I updated my drviers, cannot be rolled back, happens with all driver versions now.

supra
12-27-05, 09:39 PM
What driver version are you using? And what card do you have (as in manufacturer)

Not saying go to ATI ;) but last time I check they do linux drivers too. :D

Quick420
12-27-05, 10:48 PM
Have you formatted the machine in the last yr? If you are running the same windows installation for a yr,you are bound to run into various troubles....ie spyware...registry errors...file read errors etc etc.Unless you keep your O/S very clean.Run driver cleaner following the instructions carefully and re-install an older driver that was made when that card had it's hey-day(56.72's were a good set) Let us know if that helped ya.What do you have the card clocked to ??? Bet you it's overclocked-or overheating-or both(cheers)