PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio

Clay
12-23-05, 11:11 PM
If you have any experience with satellite radio (SIRIUS or XM) I'd like to hear your take on it.

I'm thinking that if I get enough Christmas money I might do this. SIRIUS is what I'm leaning towards mainly because of all the sports programming they have (NFL, NBA, ESPN, etc) as well as a lot of good news stations.

The unit I'm considering is the Starmate Replay ST2 (http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=ProductAsset&cid=1126670694040) especially since SIRIUS has a $50 rebate going until the end of the year.

saturnotaku
12-23-05, 11:21 PM
While I don't own XM, I have plenty of experience driving GM vehicles that are so equipped. I'm a huge fan. The monthly fee for the commercial free classic rock station would be incentive enough for me, but they also carry MLB and NHL, not that you'd necessarily be interested in those.

Sirius has taken a huge gamble on Howard Stern, which I think could ultimately make or break them. To me, his presence alone would be enough not to use them, even if I didn't like XM.

So in other words, XM 4 Life. (xmasgrin)

Sazar
12-23-05, 11:23 PM
Its pretty kewl.

I personally use my mp3 player as my audio device but my brother has an XM setup in his car and its awesome.

The sports programming is great plus I REALLY love it when you can program it to give you a reminder when certain keywords show in a title on any channel (i.e. a song or artist) and then you can switch right over to it :D

Satellite radio is pretty kewl. If you can get your mitts on it like in a car test drive or a friends car, its a great option.

Clay
12-23-05, 11:33 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not crazy about Howard Stern being on SIRIUS either. Any partially sober goofball could flap his gums like Stern does. Anyway... I need to look at XM more to compare. So far, this really has me wanting SIRIUS (http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Page&cid=1065475754125) for the sports offering comparison.

And yeah Sazar, this model I'm looking at is new...has the "SIRIUS Seek" feature that will alert you of artist, lyrics, etc playing on different channels. It also will let you know when your teams are playing, give you score updates, etc. It also has 44 minutes of replay so you can pause it while you go into the gas station, etc and resume when you get back in the car.

I never thought I'd consider paying for radio but I spend more and more time driving in traffic it seems (third fastest growing county in the US where I live) and commercials are insanely more and more dominant on regular radio.

Sazar
12-23-05, 11:47 PM
Yah that does look like a nice channel lineup.

And you don't have to listen to howard if you don't want to lol.

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/neighborhood.jsp?hood=sports

Thats the sports programming on XM for comparison.

superklye
12-23-05, 11:48 PM
What's the big deal about Stern being on Sirius? Just don't listen to him...

And I have a couple of friends that have Satelite Radio, one has XM the other Sirius and both love each. So I don't have any input on which is better, but that Satelite radio rocks in general. :) Go for it man...get whichever provider has the best content according to what you're looking for. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the least.

Are they both $10/mo?

Clay
12-23-05, 11:54 PM
Oh I know I can listen to him or not. I just think it's lame that they're pumping their chest that they have him. Kind of like someone bragging about having hemorrhoids. :D

Thanks for the feedback everyone, this helps. Sirius is $12.95 per month or you can pay a yearly rate and it would come to $11.80/mo equivalent because you get one month free. Going to check out XM some more now.

Sazar
12-24-05, 12:40 AM
Both of them are essentially almost the same.

I would just go with whichever you are getting a better deal for clay.

ricercar
12-24-05, 01:18 AM
I've had XM radio for 11 months. I let it lapse after the 90 day free period was over because $12/month was not worth it to me. Some time later, My wife bought me 3 more months at $6 each, and they let her continue at that price, so I don't object.

I like the Cloud Pudding, reggae, and folk-rock stations, but my family loves the kid's programming.

Q
12-24-05, 01:27 AM
I'm not very impressed with it. While not being a subscriber personally, just looking at the tech aspects of it turns me off.

Think about it, how much data can be streamed from a satelite to a moving car? With a little antenna. Lets be extremely generous and say 500K. Divide that by...lets say... ONLY 100 channels (they both offer 125+ or 150+). That would be very, very, very generous estimate of 50k per channel. Of course some, like talk, are downgraded to make more space for music, but quality wise it just makes me cringe.

Especially paying for it...when FM has CD quality sound when you get a clear signal.

BUT, since Clay would be using it for the talk aspect of it primarily, I don't see what the issue would be. I'm just an audiophile, so I'm picky. For most users I think it would be very cool having so many channels.

saturnotaku
12-24-05, 07:22 AM
I never thought I'd consider paying for radio but I spend more and more time driving in traffic it seems (third fastest growing county in the US where I live) and commercials are insanely more and more dominant on regular radio.

Really, Marion is growing that fast? I can see why, Indy's a great city. If I had to leave Chicago, it would certainly be up there, along with the Twin Cities. I want to know what will happen when they run out of license plate numbers. Indiana is still using that archaic county code system, and they're already at 99. :p

Clay
12-24-05, 12:23 PM
Really, Marion is growing that fast? I can see why, Indy's a great city. If I had to leave Chicago, it would certainly be up there, along with the Twin Cities. I want to know what will happen when they run out of license plate numbers. Indiana is still using that archaic county code system, and they're already at 99. :pI was referring to Hamilton County. It's been just behind Orange County, CA and Manhattan County, NY nationally for the past few years. Seven years ago I could make essentially the same drive to work in about 15 minutes. Now, that same drive averages around 30~45 minutes. My best friend lived in Naperville for a number of years and he said that after a while it (the Chicago area in general) just wore him down. He loves Indy, moved here a few years ago.

ricercar
12-24-05, 08:25 PM
Think about it, how much data can be streamed from a satelite to a moving car? With a little antenna. Lets be extremely generous and say 500K. Divide that by...lets say... ONLY 100 channels (they both offer 125+ or 150+). That would be very, very, very generous estimate of 50k per channel.

This seems odd and unlikely to me, but I have no expertise. Why would a satellite radio receiver accept all channels always-on? Seems to me it would be reasonable to use all reception bandwidth with a single currently-tuned channel.

retsam
12-26-05, 11:08 PM
i just got serius satalite for christmas, and man does it rock (pun intended). if anyones a sports fan the auto alert feature it great. just set your team and it will tune into to the live sport game. it even updates scores within 30 seconds of a goal. you can even set it up to change the channel when an artists comes on to one of the stations...

Clay
12-27-05, 06:26 PM
I agree with retsam, I installed it last night and I'm already liking it. I was listening to BBC news today on the way home from work.

What model did you get retsam? I have the Starmate Replay (sounds like that's what you have if you have the artist seek)

Clay
12-27-05, 07:51 PM
I wanted a more concise list of channels for the car (the color brochure at the stores is a little wacky to look at in traffic). :) So, here's a Word doc I made for anyone that wants it. (I used the font Agency FB which is included in Microsoft Office 2003 or Publisher 2000). If you don't have that font I'd suggest using Arial Narrow or Helvetica Ultra Compressed instead.

I created this as a Word doc (and not PDF) so that you can edit it as you wish or update as channels change. Enjoy!

Condensed Sirius Channel Guide (http://www.nvnews.net/temp/sirius.doc)

retsam
12-27-05, 07:55 PM
I agree with retsam, I installed it last night and I'm already liking it. I was listening to BBC news today on the way home from work.

What model did you get retsam? I have the Starmate Replay (sounds like that's what you have if you have the artist seek) ya i have the same model. i just wish they would allow you to record your favorite shows so that you can listen to them later on. have you listened to the raw dog comedy channel? ...it had me rolling this morning on my way home from work. instead of getting out of my car when i got home, i sat there listing to it for like 10 more minutes in front of my home...oh man, im gonna like this thing..

Tr1cK
12-27-05, 08:17 PM
I have had Sirius for about 2 years. I listen to Octane 20 the most. I haven't turned on a regular radio station but maybe twice in that time. I wish they had a more progressive rock station like WHFS in Baltimore was. =\

Banko
12-27-05, 10:49 PM
There is a good Sirius unit with a built in 20gb hard drive that also doubles as an MP3 player... You can also record the satelite streams.

Clay
12-28-05, 09:30 PM
There is a good Sirius unit with a built in 20gb hard drive that also doubles as an MP3 player... You can also record the satelite streams.The S50 right? Yeah it looks nice but it's not without some first gen bugs...plus, it's pretty pricey for most people at $300+ This time next year will be neat to see what products mature from this. It's also not as truly portable as the XM MyFi2.

DEaD_IRiS
12-29-05, 04:50 PM
FWIW I got Sirius a few months ago mainly for the NFL as I'm on the road alot on sundays but I was shocked at how much use I am getting out of it for the music as well. I like to listen to Chill 35 before going to sleep.

And here's to hoping for a more portable version like the MyFi as well.