PDA

View Full Version : What are the do's and don't's about pcs and electr. and static


Capt. Picard
12-24-05, 09:28 AM
I'm not a very good technician. Actually I'm not a technician. After I took my old PC, Celeron 2.4, to a other room I kept getting shocked when I touch the metal case. I was bare-footed at the time. Probably not a very good idea. My display also didn't came up when I switched it on. Only after several reconnecting of cables did it come back again and after I donned some shoes.

What are the do's and don't's about PCs and electricity and static electricity.

Q
12-24-05, 09:43 AM
As long as you are not inside the case touching components, there is no issue with static. Once you open the case and start fooling around, go dork and get one of those wristbands that ground you.

OR

Just touch the case before touching any components. I've been working on PC's for about 7 years now and have never fried a component with static electricity. And I haven't even been careful, really.

wheeljack12
12-24-05, 10:40 AM
I have always heard and was told if you thought you had a charge of static electricity but weren't sure, to touch the power supply before touching internal parts. Is that true also along with the case touching?

ynnek
12-24-05, 06:15 PM
I would think donning shoes and/or socks would make it worse, since your feet dragging along the ground, especially with rubber soles against fabric would generate static.

Capt. Picard
12-24-05, 06:26 PM
I would think donning shoes and/or socks would make it worse, since your feet dragging along the ground, especially with rubber soles against fabric would generate static.

One would think so but for the whole time that I were bare-footed I got shocked everytime I touched the case which was quite a number of times, ten times at least. It was actually quite a strong shock.
But after I put on my shoes - nothing.

Absolution
12-24-05, 07:12 PM
One would think so but for the whole time that I were bare-footed I got shocked everytime I touched the case which was quite a number of times, ten times at least. It was actually quite a strong shock.
But after I put on my shoes - nothing.
do you have a cement floor with about an inch of water with electricity going through it?

ive never heard such stories of so much static electricity...

but i just touch my case before i touch anything in my comp

i did accidently touch my dad's soundcard before i touched the case and shocked it, but nothing happened...

bugmage
12-24-05, 08:38 PM
this is somewhat related but im working on a lexan case and im going to attach the mobo to the lexan with spacers upsidedown as a watercooling preventative mesure and of what ive seen for plastic cases static is not a problem, but then some people go crazy saying your fry everything, what do you think?, also im having modders mesh on the outside of the lexan(gonn look cool) and then some screws will go through the lexan and make contact with that mesh to hopefully discharge anything

nV`andrew
12-27-05, 05:00 PM
Hey I'm just mounting fans and stuff on my p-160wf (ownage!) and ill probably start building on thursday and friday...

I'll probably just do the ''touch-the-back" thing, but is there a specific surface that would help out so i don't fry everything on my first build. i have tile, carpet, and wood tables and stuff in my house, which is the best, also i have a concrete garage floor. also, should i wear shoes or no, etc.

thanks for the help! (xmassign)

ynnek
12-27-05, 05:09 PM
LMAO.. Honestly, if you are that worried, go out and buy yourself a static strap.. Its a strap you wear around your wrist (or i guess any other part of your body), thats connected to something else to ground you.

something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16899888207

I've never fried anything yet. But I do make sure I discharge myself before unplugging and working on my computer.

Capt. Picard
12-27-05, 05:14 PM
LMAO.. Honestly, if you are that worried, go out and buy yourself a static strap.. Its a strap you wear around your wrist (or i guess any other part of your body), thats connected to something else to ground you.

My original concern wasn't about static but rather about the fact that their could be something wrong with the electricity supply.

nV`andrew
12-27-05, 05:16 PM
I'm not that worried, just want to know if something is better or not, ya know

My original concern wasn't about static but rather about the fact that their could be something wrong with the electricity supply.


hes talking bout my post lol

ynnek
12-27-05, 05:18 PM
My original concern wasn't about static but rather about the fact that their could be something wrong with the electricity supply.

With your electricity supply?

Well, a high quality surge protector and a good PSU should alleviate most problems.

Else, you could invest in a high quality UPS with active line conditioning... They can get expensive.. most lower priced units don't have this.

ynnek
12-27-05, 05:22 PM
Naked, no shoes, on a tile floor, with a wooden table... warm and relatively humid (not too humid!).. with w ESD strap tied around your ankle thats connected to like a water pipe.


Safest way possible. :)

nV`andrew
12-27-05, 06:16 PM
Naked, no shoes, on a tile floor, with a wooden table... warm and relatively humid (not too humid!).. with w ESD strap tied around your ankle thats connected to like a water pipe.


Safest way possible. :)


ill do everything except the esd strap to a watr pipe.

the naked part will only occur when im alone, at home, by myself, no one else, heh, :naughty:

ynnek
12-27-05, 06:30 PM
ill do everything except the esd strap to a watr pipe.

the naked part will only occur when im alone, at home, by myself, no one else, heh, :naughty:


by myself no one else?

Sounds like you need a gf.. ;)

Riptide
12-27-05, 06:42 PM
Remember if you plan on grouding yourself by touching your case that it won't do you any good if it's already unplugged. :)

ynnek
12-27-05, 07:25 PM
Remember if you plan on grouding yourself by touching your case that it won't do you any good if it's already unplugged. :)


Yea, forgot to mention that part..

Actually, some people think its better to leave your computer plugged in while working on it, so that its always grounded..

But then you always have constant power running through your PSU and MB.. So IMO at least, it makes more sense to unplug it, and make sure you aren't storing up static electricty.

nV`andrew
12-27-05, 08:11 PM
Lol, so last question:

Will it be somewhat okay to just work on my computer, [B]unplugged[B],on a wood table

no i rather have one of you guys, naked, next to me, alone with eachother, in the dark, silently working on my build :naughty: