PDA

View Full Version : New CPU/Mobo...does Windows HAVE to be reinstalled?

superklye
12-24-05, 07:47 PM
All right...I remember this coming up in another thread, and I searched, but I can't for the life of me find the answer.

Anyway...we just finished opening presents and I got my dad a Venice 3000+ and gave him my old EPoX 9NDA3+ nFORCE3 Ultra board.

He's currently got some nFORCE or nFORCE2 board with an Athlon XP 2400+ in it.

Now, I swear...in another thread (the one I can't find) someone infrormed me that installing a new CPU/mobo does NOT require a reinstall of Windows...just putting in the disc and doing a Windows repair is all that is needed for the new mobo and CPU to work...right?

Well, does that apply if going from a completely different CPU (XP to 64) and motherboard chipset, rather than just going from one 64 to another or one nFORCE4 to another?

Quick answers are appreciated because he's foaming at the mouth to install this, like, now. :)

superklye
12-24-05, 07:49 PM
Oh, one more thing...thanks again, Mark. :D

ricercar
12-24-05, 08:03 PM
YW. Merry Christmas.

On topic: See my post (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=756521&postcount=4) in this thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60568). You probably searched for "Windows" instead of "drive."

superklye
12-24-05, 08:22 PM
Man, you are my guiding light. Thanks much yet again. :)

john19055
12-26-05, 02:35 AM
You don't have to ,but it has been my experience it is best to so,so you can start with a clean slate to work with and you will have no left over drivers that might mess you up in the future.

supra
12-26-05, 03:43 AM
There are ways to do it without a reinstall (google it). But your making trouble for yourself really because all sorts of problems may come up. Unless there is a really good reason why not to, just do a clean install :)

KickAssCop
12-26-05, 05:54 AM
Always re-install w/ change in motherboard and since you are moving to different hardware altogether (like not even same range of motherboard/cpu combo) I strongly suggest a re-install.

NightFire
12-26-05, 10:29 AM
It's a little late, but I've found this guide on ArsTechnica to be pretty good for all my mobo/CPU swapping needs.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/77909774/m/1400925745

jolle
12-26-05, 02:40 PM
best bet is to format, besides a fresh install has a good feel to it I always thought..
But I will give you this tho, I just replaced my MSI board and 3400+ with a X2 3800+ and AsRock 939Dual SATA2 board, and sofar I only reinstalled XP x64, but not XP 32bit, yet it appears to work without a hitch anyway, I did uninstall all Nforce drivers and such before I replaced the parts tho..
As soon as I get home Ill reinstall XP 32bit tho, to be on the safe side..

Gorion
12-27-05, 09:23 AM
I just booted into safe mode, used driver cleaner, rebooted and loaded new drivers. Zero problems.

Tr1cK
12-27-05, 12:19 PM
Compatible chipsets such as the nforce 2 to 3 transition will easily allow you to use the same install. If your installation is on an add-on card such as a RAID adapter that will be reused or if the new board utilizes the same with onboard RAID, then there should be no problems either.

My roommate went from a nforce 2 to a 6100 without a reinstall. I have went from nforce 2 to nforce 3 without a reinstall. When I used my pci RAID card, I went through VIA, ULI, and nforce chipsets without a reinstall. Only when moving between the chipsets using the onboard IDE did I need to reinstall. I would get system reboots at windows startup otherwise. Besides, a clean install always gives you a 'warm-fuzzy' after it's setup.

superklye
12-27-05, 12:38 PM
There are ways to do it without a reinstall (google it). But your making trouble for yourself really because all sorts of problems may come up. Unless there is a really good reason why not to, just do a clean install :)
heh, I told my dad that and his "really good reason" was that he didn't want to. :p

It's working just fine for him, but I told him that he'd probably want to do a fresh install just to clear things out and make the system snappier...especially because it's been like a year and a half since his last install of Windows.

Riptide
12-27-05, 06:40 PM
So the consensus seems to be yes you can sometimes get away with this but in the long run it's best to eventually reinstall?

supra
12-27-05, 07:53 PM
heh, I told my dad that and his "really good reason" was that he didn't want to. :p

It's working just fine for him, but I told him that he'd probably want to do a fresh install just to clear things out and make the system snappier...especially because it's been like a year and a half since his last install of Windows.

dont want to is a good enough reason. :D. I use alot of apps & servers so when I do a clean install its a real pain re-installing them all and re-configuring after a fresh windows install. usually takes me a full day to get my system back up with the apps installed.

Its reccommended that you do a fresh one when switching mobos but if the chipset is the same then its not critical. However I know people who switch mobos without a clean install and everything worked fine and other people just keep getting bsods or windows wont even boot. So I guess its kinda hit n miss. (xmastong)