PDA

View Full Version : Looking for BEST ram for 250fsb

Pages : [1] 2

SquireSCA
12-24-05, 10:24 PM
I need a 2GB(1GBx2) kit of RAM that will be guaranteed to run at 250fsb with tight timings.

Also, I need to be able to up that to 4GB and have it stay at 250fsb with tight timings.

Cost is not a factor.

I want to make sure that the timings are not slowed down to the point that 250fsb with the new RAM will end up being slower than my current RAM at 208fsb is using CAS2, 2-2-2-5-1T is.

WHat's more important, running 208FSB with fast timings, or running the same speed as my system bus(250) with less aggressive timings?

And if I go to 1GBx4, will my performance go down?

Thanks!

superklye
12-24-05, 10:27 PM
Don't you already have a thread about this exact same topic?

SquireSCA
12-24-05, 10:38 PM
No, it was about moving to 4GB and siabling swap files. I thought that I might get more hits and replies if I made this one more specific.

People might see something about a swap file and skip over it.

But every tweaker and overclocker has a favorite type of RAM, no?

We can kill the other thread at this point.

superklye
12-24-05, 10:49 PM
Heh, yeah, I went back and looked at it again...it just kinda...morphed, I guess.

Anyway, as I said in that thread, there really is a minor difference between CAS2 and CAS3 and if you want to go DDR500, you have to go CAS3 no matter what.

It's just a matter of staying at 1T, instead of being forced down to 2T, which is a HUGE hit.

AthlonXP1800
12-25-05, 09:02 AM
And if I go to 1GBx4, will my performance go down?

I got 4GB RAM, no your performance wont go down or have same performance as 2x1GB RAM, if you go for 4GB then the performance will go up much faster than the bandwidth of 2x1GB, the 4x1GB timing will be the same as 2x1GB timing. If you use 4GB with XP SP2, the OS will only allocate 3GB and XP x64 Edition OS will use the whole 4GB, when 32 bit Vista release next year to replace 32 bit XP it will use 4GB RAM. (xmasmile)

(xmassign2

SquireSCA
12-25-05, 09:21 AM
I got 4GB RAM, no your performance wont go down or have same performance as 2x1GB RAM, if you go for 4GB then the performance will go up much faster than the bandwidth of 2x1GB, the 4x1GB timing will be the same as 2x1GB timing. If you use 4GB with XP SP2, the OS will only allocate 3GB and XP x64 Edition OS will use the whole 4GB, when 32 bit Vista release next year to replace 32 bit XP it will use 4GB RAM. (xmasmile)

(xmassign2

Well, I have WinXP Pro x64 here as well, so I could install that to get the full use of 4GB. But then I have to worry about drivers and apps not running properly, as 64bit support seems a bit lacking these days.

I know for a fact that my printer has no 64bit drivers, although I guess I could simply print to the printer on my GFU's machine upstairs.

AthlonXP1800
12-25-05, 09:32 AM
Well, I have WinXP Pro x64 here as well, so I could install that to get the full use of 4GB. But then I have to worry about drivers and apps not running properly, as 64bit support seems a bit lacking these days.

I know for a fact that my printer has no 64bit drivers, although I guess I could simply print to the printer on my GFU's machine upstairs.

All apps ran on my x64 Edition OS fine but I got just 1 issue with the 64 bit driver, it does not have 64 bit Canon scanner driver so built-in 64 bit driver for my printer is working fine. What printer you have?

Riptide
12-25-05, 09:42 AM
I used to run my OCZ PC3200EL Rev. 2 (TCCD) at 2.5-3-3-7-1T @ 250MHz. Damn that was some nice memory.

keith33
12-25-05, 09:52 AM
Mushkin eXtreme, Crucial Ballistix....enough said.

superklye
12-25-05, 11:48 AM

(xmassign2
Windows XP Pro 32-bit can see and use all 4GB. I looked it up on MS's website last week to verify and I posted the link in another thread.

jAkUp
12-25-05, 11:51 AM
Yes your performance will go down! With 4 sticks you will be forced to run 2T timings on all A64 boards, so you lose quite a bit of memory performance.

Of course, this only equates to a few FPS in games, but to me thats quite a bit since I'm anal about performance.

As for the best ram, the Ballistic Tracers are about the best you can do. The OCZ Gold like I have are very good as well.

superklye
12-25-05, 11:55 AM
Yes your performance will go down! With 4 sticks you will be forced to run 2T timings on all A64 boards, so you lose quite a bit of memory performance.

Of course, this only equates to a few FPS in games, but to me thats quite a bit since I'm anal about performance.

As for the best ram, the Ballistic Tracers are about the best you can do. The OCZ Gold like I have are very good as well.
Not completely true...the RAM only goes to 2T if all four DIMMs are two-sided. If they are single-sided DIMMs, and the CPU is a San Diego or later core revision, it will stay in 1T.

AthlonXP1800
12-25-05, 01:04 PM
Windows XP Pro 32-bit can see and use all 4GB. I looked it up on MS's website last week to verify and I posted the link in another thread.

Well I been read all that included other thread you mentioned and followed the instruction but it seem did not worked or maybe I missed something, I already got DEP and PAE enabled by default, the original boot.ini looked like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER

Then I added /3GB and /PAE into the line:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER /3GB /PAE
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER

So this "/3GB /PAE" did not worked, I also tried removed /3GB and /PAE vice versa and it still not showed 4GB in XP SP2.

superklye
12-25-05, 04:29 PM
Hmm...that's weird. Screw MS! :) :p

Dazz
12-25-05, 05:53 PM
Technically there will be a performance drop as if you are using a AMD Processor you have to use T2 rather then the faster T1 command.

superklye
12-25-05, 06:09 PM
Technically there will be a performance drop as if you are using a AMD Processor you have to use T2 rather then the faster T1 command.
Man, I feel like a broken record...this is the third time I've said this in this thread and maybe the 6th in the last 2 weeks:

There is only a performance drop to 2T if the RAM is double-sided. Otherwise, it stays at 1T.

SquireSCA
12-25-05, 08:47 PM
How does one tell if the RAM is single or double sided?

SquireSCA
12-25-05, 08:50 PM
Here is what I currently have and was considering adding 2GB more of:

Patriot - PDC2G3200LLK - Dual Channel DDR 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 400MHz (2-3-2-5) Low Latency Kit Non-ECC Unb. 184-Pin DIMMS

a12ctic
12-25-05, 08:51 PM
Hmm...that's weird. Screw MS! :) :p
qft

superklye
12-25-05, 09:01 PM
If there are chips on both sides of the RAM, it's double-sided. :)

Most 1GB modules are going to be like that, but I imagine with the need for more and more 2GB modules that manufacturers are going to be putting out single-sided 1GB modules.

I guarantee they'll be much more expensive than double-sided RAM, though.

SquireSCA
12-25-05, 09:05 PM
OK, looking at them, they are indeed double-sided, so going to 4GB is gonna drop me to 2T. So any performance increases I might get by having more than 2GB of RAM, will be negated by having it run at poorer timings.

Correct?

superklye
12-25-05, 09:43 PM
Probably. To be honest, I'm not very familiar with the benefits that higher speed RAM brings, so I don't know if the performance from DDR500 negates (at least somewhat) the drop that 2T brings.

jAkUp
12-26-05, 12:33 AM
Not completely true...the RAM only goes to 2T if all four DIMMs are two-sided. If they are single-sided DIMMs, and the CPU is a San Diego or later core revision, it will stay in 1T.

Find me some 1GB single sided memory (xmastong) The DDR500MHz will do little, because the 1GB modules are CL3 latency's. To get the best performance/capacity on ram, I recommend 2x1GB DDR500MHz modules

superklye
12-26-05, 01:03 AM
Find me some 1GB single sided memory (xmastong) The DDR500MHz will do little, because the 1GB modules are CL3 latency's. To get the best performance/capacity on ram, I recommend 2x1GB DDR500MHz modules
Hey man...they don't HAVE to be 1GB modules, you know. :p

Sure, that's the only way to get to 4GB, but 4 sticks of single-sided 512 will still be 1T.

jAkUp
12-26-05, 01:09 AM
Yea I suppose... :)