PDA

View Full Version : Power Supplies - Brands to buy, and brands to ignore...

Medion
12-24-05, 11:50 PM
Just wanted to get some information here. What are the absolute "can't miss" brands for PSUs. I've always trusted Antec, but have heard good things about other brands, such as Thermaltake, and Aspire.

Also, any brands you know to stay away from? All insight would be greatly appreciated.

Infinity666
12-25-05, 12:11 AM
Good: Antec, Ocz, Pcp&c,Seasonic,Asus,Aspire* Just cause I have on and for $40 bucks its the Sh!t

Bad:Most others and anything in the sub $50 range ussualy sucks

supra
12-25-05, 12:11 AM
Thermal Taker user here. I give it the thumbs up

Roadhog
12-25-05, 12:16 AM
anything other than OCZ, PCP&C, and seasonic are crap

Starscream
12-25-05, 12:27 AM
CAS is a company to avoid.

Their junk goes by about 20 other names too though. heh

CaptNKILL
12-25-05, 01:28 AM
My Antec true power 430W has been running strong for about 3 years now and has lasted through 2 or 3 complete systems. Couldnt be happier with it :)

|MaguS|
12-25-05, 01:35 AM
anything other than OCZ, PCP&C, and seasonic are crap

Agree!

Antec and Aspire are decent for low end rigs or ones that don't need stress powersupply's as bad but never put them in your main rig if you can go with the big three.

jAkUp
12-25-05, 01:53 AM
Alot of people like Enermax's, but I really do not like them. I have had plenty of bad luck with them, and the rails fluctuate too much... not to mention they typically use 85c rated caps.

Medion
12-25-05, 06:23 AM
As usual, thanks for all of the input. As I've mentioned, I'm building 2 new PCs for myself and my wife. Mine will be an X2 3800+ with a 7800GT or X1800XL. Hers will be an X2 3800+ with a 6800GS.

Before, I was confident in getting an Antec TPII 430W for myself, and an Antec SP2.0 400W. While I'm certain that these will be more than adequate, I need to keep future upgrades in mind. Also, these are both 20+4. I've read that you shouldn't use these with a 24-pin mobo (which I have picked out for both PCs)

Thanks to your input, I'm looking up other PSUs. I've always heard to trust Antec, and while I still believe that they are a solid brand, it seems that Seasonic and PC P&C are the two top dogs right now. So I'll stick with those 3 brands, as well as OCZ.

I want something that has dual 12V rails, and will be able to handle some videocard upgrades in the future. I don't need anything that is SLI ready, as I'm not a dual-GPU kind of guy.

If anyone has any suggestions along those lines, I'm open to them. Once I find soemthing that I think is suitable, Ill reply here again for feedback.

Thanks again :)

EDIT: Here's what I currently like, but as always, all input is welcome.

His:
SeaSonic S12-430 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151023)

Hers:
SeaSonic S12-380 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151022)

While the Wattage is a "downgrade" for her, both of these PSUs are more efficient, both are native 24-pin, and both seem to put more power where it's needed.

They're both a bit pricier than my erlier selections, but I feel that these will last through at least a couple CPU/MOBO/GPU upgrades, ensuring that I won't have to upgrade my PSU along with those.

Again, I want to reiterate that I don't care for dual-GPU solutions and never will, due to the way that I game. If I did though, I'd go for a SeaSonic S12-600, or a PC P&C 510 (650W peak). These seem perfect at what they do, but are more than I'll ever need :)

Infinity666
12-25-05, 06:34 AM
As usual, thanks for all of the input. As I've mentioned, I'm building 2 new PCs for myself and my wife. Mine will be an X2 3800+ with a 7800GT or X1800XL. Hers will be an X2 3800+ with a 6800GS.

Before, I was confident in getting an Antec TPII 430W for myself, and an Antec SP2.0 400W. While I'm certain that these will be more than adequate, I need to keep future upgrades in mind. Also, these are both 20+4. I've read that you shouldn't use these with a 24-pin mobo (which I have picked out for both PCs)

Thanks to your input, I'm looking up other PSUs. I've always heard to trust Antec, and while I still believe that they are a solid brand, it seems that Seasonic and PC P&C are the two top dogs right now. So I'll stick with those 3 brands, as well as OCZ.

I want something that has dual 12V rails, and will be able to handle some videocard upgrades in the future. I don't need anything that is SLI ready, as I'm not a dual-GPU kind of guy.

If anyone has any suggestions along those lines, I'm open to them. Once I find soemthing that I think is suitable, Ill reply here again for feedback.

Thanks again :)

EDIT: Here's what I currently like, but as always, all input is welcome.

His:
SeaSonic S12-430 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151023)

Hers:
SeaSonic S12-380 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151022)

While the Wattage is a "downgrade" for her, both of these PSUs are more efficient, both are native 24-pin, and both seem to put more power where it's needed.

They're both a bit pricier than my erlier selections, but I feel that these will last through at least a couple CPU/MOBO/GPU upgrades, ensuring that I won't have to upgrade my PSU along with those.

Again, I want to reiterate that I don't care for dual-GPU solutions and never will, due to the way that I game. If I did though, I'd go for a SeaSonic S12-600, or a PC P&C 510 (650W peak). These seem perfect at what they do, but are more than I'll ever need :)

Is it just me or do the rails seem a little weak my cheapo aspire has more on each rail. Im sure the seasonic is better but???

Knot3D
12-25-05, 06:37 AM
I have a spare Antec TruePower 380 from my Sonata case which now houses a Tagan 480. Both great PSU's.

For my new system i'm getting Antec NeoHE 550 ; high efficiency (lower energy bill) + modular cables + 54A total on 12V line.

I checked with my reseller if it'll work with the Asus A8N32-sli ; no problems he said.

Lfctony
12-25-05, 07:58 AM
My Tagan works pretty good, no problems with it so far. My previous Antec one blew up...

Riptide
12-25-05, 09:40 AM
Antec is a good budget power supply. I've had a few of them though one I had to exchange because the fan squeaked. I suggest OCZ and PCP&C for higher end.

keith33
12-25-05, 09:56 AM
OCZ if you don't live in the U.S. (They have RMA offices in every country to help you out) and PCP&C if you're not. Hands down best power supplies ever made.

Banko
12-25-05, 01:13 PM
Fortron is nice, have nothing to complain about my PSU.

Vik1dk
12-25-05, 02:44 PM
ThermalTake here, so far a good one(xmassign)

nV`andrew
12-25-05, 03:25 PM
actually the antec 400w should be able to power your system, unless you a lot of add on lights or something, cuz the 7800gt can be powered by a minimum of 400w, and ive seen them powered by 350 watts or even less. but it is safe to go with a more powerful and ''leet" psu :D

merry christmas

Medion
12-25-05, 03:33 PM
actually the antec 400w should be able to power your system, unless you a lot of add on lights or something, cuz the 7800gt can be powered by a minimum of 400w, and ive seen them powered by 350 watts or even less. but it is safe to go with a more powerful and ''leet" psu

No doubt in my mind that this would work, but I'd like the extra power to acount for my dual-core CPU, which should draw more power than a single core equivalent (correct me if I'm wrong).