PDA

View Full Version : SLI need same video card revisions?

ragingWS6
12-25-05, 10:58 AM
I just got an XFX 7800GTX 256MB OC for Christmas to complete my SLI setup. I already have one and my girl got me the second. I am running it in an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe. All the configs are correct, the system boots and mentions SLI multi-GPU in the NVidia Control Panel, but there are no options to enable SLI.

So, I checked the BIOS on each, both the same. Tried to boot each video card seperately just to see if the new one was damaged. Both fine. Uninstalled the 81.98s and went to the 82.12s. Same thing. Only thing I notice is that the first card is Rev. 1.0 while the new one is Rev. 1.2. Does that make any difference. Here is the system setup just for kicks:

AMD Athlon X2 4800+
1GB Corsair XMS3200XL RAM
2 XFX 7800GTX 256MB (Rev. 1.0 on one and Rev. 1.2 on the other both running version 5.70.02.11.16 BIOS)
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
2 74GB WD Raptor 10k drives in RAID 0
Promise FastTrak TX2300 SATA RAID PCI card
SB Audigy 2 Platinum
Aspire 600W SLI-ready PSU

PSYCHODAD
12-25-05, 11:20 AM
Have you checked your bios settings for the SLI setup? Did you change the card on your board from single to dual?

I wouldn't think the revisions should matter so much.

ragingWS6
12-25-05, 11:51 AM
Have you checked your bios settings for the SLI setup? Did you change the card on your board from single to dual?

I wouldn't think the revisions should matter so much.
I have enabled Dual Card setup in the BIOS and the on-board card that you change (not sure exactly what it is called since it isn't a jumper).

I am about to update the MB BIOS and see if that helps. But I am going to go back to the 78.xx series because I have heard some people have had to do that to enable SLI.

ViN86
12-25-05, 07:02 PM
have you tried running SLI with each one as the master card. i mean, with the rev1.0 as the master card once, and the rev1.2 as the master card another time. this seems weird, as the 8x.xx series supports SLI for cards from different manufacturers.

ragingWS6
12-25-05, 09:40 PM
I just swapped them again, no luck...

But I decided to take the cards out and put them back in and what do you know....SLI is detected. I have no idea what was wrong. Strange...

But, it is awesome so far.

ragingWS6
12-26-05, 05:17 PM
Interesting...

I restarted and it just gave me a message that SLI was enabled but the hardware had changed and it needed to be restarted.

After restart, SLI wasn't enabled and one of the video cards (the 2nd one in the 2nd SLI slot), wasn't installed in the Device Manager!!!

This is getting frustrating. I have no idea what is going on. I thought it might be a device conflict so I disabled all that I wasn't using in the BIOS. That didn't work. Now, I guess it is time for more troubleshooting. This is getting to be almost not worth the effort and worth selling or taking back the 2nd card.

n0trix
12-26-05, 05:41 PM
Do you use driver cleaner ?
SLi connector installed ? (sorry) ;)
Uninstall the drivers,reboot into safe mode,use drivercleaner,shutdown,pull the wallplug,take out both cards,
check the SLi mode card for perfect fit,put both cards back,install SLi connector,boot into windows,install forceware drivers.

ragingWS6
12-26-05, 09:07 PM
Do you use driver cleaner ?
SLi connector installed ? (sorry) ;)
Uninstall the drivers,reboot into safe mode,use drivercleaner,shutdown,pull the wallplug,take out both cards,
check the SLi mode card for perfect fit,put both cards back,install SLi connector,boot into windows,install forceware drivers.
Done all of the above initially. Looked like the way the lower back of my case is on my Lian LI-65B, it was pulling the back end of the card out of of the PCIe slot. It is actualy in there without a screw for the time being until I can bend the back of the case to keep the card in place.

Just got done playing a little CoD2. It was nice to barely drop below 100 FPS with setting cranked @ 1280x1024.:D