PDA

View Full Version : SLI Problems

MiNdWaRp
12-25-05, 11:52 PM
Hi there!

I am having a problem with activating SLI mode for my video cards. I have 2 identical BFG 6600GT OC PCI-Express video cards running on a DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-Dr motherboard. I have made sure to put on the SLI bridge and made sure to press down hard enough to ensure it's in all the way. I have set my 6 sets of jumpers on the motherboard to SLI mode as required. I have plugged both 4-pin adapters into the motherboard as required for improved stability. I have also updated both the BIOS on my motherboard to the latest revision and updated the BIOS on both cards to the latest revision I could get. I also copied the updated revision from one card to the other to ensure that the cards have the exact same BIOS revision as required. BUT, when I log into Windows XP, I get no message saying I am able to activate Multi-GPU mode, nor am I given the option in the nView Manager. The nView manager tells me that I need to unplug the card that is not SLI compatible in order to run in SLI mode, but my cards are both SLI compatible AND exactly the same. Only reason I can think of causing this issue is the 3 week gap between buying the cards.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks in advance!

- Mike

n0trix
12-26-05, 09:09 AM
Which forceware version ??

MiNdWaRp
12-26-05, 10:57 AM
I've tried many of them. I've tried the newest BETA, the newest non-BETA, I've tried all three that were recommended in the post similar to mine. Every one gives me the option to go Multi-GPU, but they tell me to remove the card that is non-SLI. The one I currently have installed is version 82.12.

n0trix
12-26-05, 02:51 PM
Did you test the cards with the original bios,before you flashed the new one ??
I think there is something wrong with the bios versions,test both cards alone check the bios versions two times.
"copied the updated revision from one card to the other" I don't understand that,didn't you flash the cards ???
Please post the bios version numbers,original which came with the card and the updated.I hope you have backups of the original bios versions from both cards.
(santa2)

MiNdWaRp
12-26-05, 03:41 PM
I have tested both cards as soon as I pulled them out of the box, they both worked fine. My first one had a version of 5.43.02.36.05 and my second one had a version of 5.43.02.46.00 I backed up the BIOS on both cards and then I attempted to flash the 2nd card's BIOS backup (the one with the later version) to the 1st card, this seemed to complete just fine. NVFLASH reports that both cards have Version 5.43.02.46.00 I can try test them individually. Would you happen to know of any programs I can use to test them?

P.S. I tried the BIOS file at this link after this didn't work
http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,26/func,fileinfo/filecatid,1056/parent,category/

n0trix
12-26-05, 05:25 PM
I would flash both cards back to the original bios version(the original backup),but do this only with one card alone,set the board back to non SLi and then set it back to SLi and make a fresh forceware install after flashing.
I believe there is something wrong with one of the bios files.
You can use nibitor to check the bios files (backup from backup) for mismatching entries.
I looked at all three bios files you can download from mvktech the rev.02 version (5.43.02.36.05) says under the vendor option chaintech not BFG,the other two files without a vendor entry.

MiNdWaRp
12-26-05, 05:42 PM
Alright, thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I overwrote my old BIOS files :(. I'll probably have to get an updated version from BFG tech support to go any further, unless you might have a link to BFG Video Card BIOS downloads?

At any rate, thanks for your help!

- Mike

n0trix
12-26-05, 06:16 PM
Sorry,I have no links to BFG bios files,maybe someone here in the forum have the same card and can make a backup of the bios and send it to you.

MiNdWaRp
12-26-05, 06:21 PM
I just got off the phone with BFG Tech Support and they told me they only have the BIOS file at their warehouse, so I would have to send both my cards into the warehouse to get my BIOS flashed. It's only a 2 day wait, but I don't know if I can last :( If I decide to, I think I'll post the BIOS file on here as well as that other forum which seems to have the wrong BIOS files in that section.

n0trix
12-26-05, 06:53 PM
Are you sure the vidcards are messed up??
Maybe there is something wrong with the mainboard,settings or jumpers etc..

heatlesssun
12-26-05, 07:35 PM
So you've tried each card individually and each one works individually?

Double check your Device Manager. Make sure that you have TWO video card devices showing up.

__________________________________________________ ___________
Windows Media Center 2005
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherbaord
Athlon 64 X2 4800+
2GB Corsair 3500LL Pro Memmory
2x BFG 7800 GTX 512 OC in SLI
3x Maxtor DiamondMax10 300GB HDD in RAID-0
2x hp dvd740 DVD Writer optical drive | 1x Mitsumi FA404M 7-in-1 USB 2.0 card reader and floppy drive
Antec P180 case
Enermax EG851AX-VH 660W Power Supply
Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" 1600x1200 LCD Monitor

MiNdWaRp
12-26-05, 08:49 PM
I've run a program called Quicktech on my motherboard that we use at work. It hasnt showed up any errors on the mainboard. As for the jumpers and settings, I quadruple-checked them and they are all as they should be. I have tried bot hcards individually and they both work fine. When both are plugged in, I indeed do see both cards on the Device Manager. For some reason, it says to unplug the SLI incompatible card unde the Multi-GPU menu.

MiNdWaRp
12-27-05, 05:24 PM
Alright, I believe I've gotten a little further into my analysis. I managed to get some backup BIOS files from 2 brand new cards on floppy disk. I've flashed my cards with the earlier revision of this BIOS, since it shows these versions on a sticker on the cards themselves. Now, it doesn't even show the Multi-GPU option with Forceware 81.98 or 82.12.

I've also noticed that my PSU is only a 20-pin when my Motherboard is a 24-pin. I got a 20-pin to 24-pin adapter to attempt to compensate for this, but still I get no Multi-GPU option in display settings. Also, my PSU seems to have only 24A Max on the +12V, which seems to almost be bare minimum according to most sites.

I hope this can help you guys help me. I'm pretty much stumped at this point.

Thanks, Mike.

n0trix
12-28-05, 07:42 AM
Can you test the cards with another SLi mainboard ??
Don't use adapters for your PSU,maybe the PSU has enough power for a SLi system,but I would go for a 24pin PSU.
Try this forum http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/index.php for your mainboard.
Look here for PSU http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854
About 20pin PSU on DFI boards http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101722&postcount=34

MiNdWaRp
12-29-05, 12:09 PM
That 3rd one seems a little harsh, but I can see where they're coming from. Thanks for helpin me out guys, I appreciate it.

I've decided on a PSU that I'm gonna use based on the reviews I read that pretty well all indicated that it's the best SLI PSU out there. I'd like to know if any of you own one / what your opinion is on it.

Here's the link:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_powerstream_power_supply
I'm getting the 520W version of it.

I apologize if I shouldn't be posting a link to a non-Nvidia product.

Thanks again guys!

- Mike

MiNdWaRp
03-16-06, 10:02 PM
Alright, after a while of searching for best prices, I managed to finally get ahold of an OCZ PowerStream 520W. I've plugged it in and continued in my attempt to get SLI working. When I boot up my system, the post screen says in one area: "NForce4 SLI". I'm assuming this means it is aware that my system is SLI-Compatible. However, Once again I do not get the Multi-GPU Enable option in my Properties window. I've tried a few different drivers and none of them give me the option. I also made sure to run Driver Cleaner to ensure that the driver was completely uninstalled before restarting in safe mode and re-installing it. With my old PSU, I was at least able to get the Enable Multi-GPU option to appears, but it told me to insert 2 SLI-Compatible cards. This time, I get nothing.

Also, I RMA'd both my cards and got 2 new ones that both seem to work perfectly by themselves, even for my sometimes 5-hour CS Source gaming sessions :S

Any additional help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!