PDA

View Full Version : Card throttles itself down at times

theslug
12-26-05, 02:02 PM
I've been having an ongoing problem in World of Warcraft where the screen 'blinks' for a split-second, and my frame rate drops considerably. After some monitoring with RivaTuner I realized that it seems to coincide with the card's temperature. In this case, it seems to happen when the GPU reaches 74 C. If I switch back to Windows, and let the temperature drop a few degrees, then go back into the game, the framerate is back to normal (until the next time it happens anyway).

Is there some option in RivaTuner, or some other program where I could change the temperature point at which it starts throttling down?

aAv7
12-26-05, 02:10 PM
I dont think you can change the temp, it's based off a sensor...I mean, 74C isnt really that bad, thats the strange thing.

I'm sure your temp is correct, maybe its a bug with world of warcraft, does it happen in any of your other games? Maybe its a known WOW issue.

If it happens in other games too, you might want to RMA the card. Unless there's a known driver bug that i'm unaware of that someone else on this board might be able to inform you about.

Regardless, goodluck, hope you get it resolved.

theslug
12-26-05, 05:01 PM
It's possible it could be the CPU temp also, so I had Speedfan running and it seems that under load, the sensor marked as 'remote temp' gets up to 65 C or so. Not sure what this is monitoring exactly though.

snowmanwithahat
12-26-05, 11:12 PM
what video card are you using? 74 is ALOT for some cards, but for a 6800, it's not out of the ordinary, in fact with stock cooling, it's great, i got 89 C with stock cooling before i upgraded

theslug
12-27-05, 08:05 AM
It's the BFG 6800GT. To test something, I lowered the temperature in the room to lower my ambient temp inside my case, and the problem persisted. The problem occurs practically right after starting the game, and according to RivaTuner, the temp around that time never exceeded 70. So I don't think it really is the graphics card. Perhaps it's actually the CPU that's throttling down, or maybe it's just a driver issue.

Gentle
12-28-05, 09:54 AM
Please list your power supply specifications.

What I mean by that is the "rails". This information is found on the power supply sticker.

It will look like, +3.3v +5v +12v (and others) along with the AMPS for each rail.

Also, is this PCIe or AGP?

Gentle

theslug
12-28-05, 04:17 PM
Please list your power supply specifications.

What I mean by that is the "rails". This information is found on the power supply sticker.

It will look like, +3.3v +5v +12v (and others) along with the AMPS for each rail.

Also, is this PCIe or AGP?

Gentle

The card is AGP. Here's my PSU specs (Antec TruePower 480W)

+5(38A), -5(0.5A), +12(28A), -12(1.0A), +3.3(30A), +5VSB(2A)

Full specs at http://www.antec.com/specs/true480_spe.html.