PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for Saitek Eclipse owners

Pages : [1] 2

nemecb
12-26-05, 04:42 PM
I just got my own Saitek Eclipse for Christmas and it's everything I hoped it would be, but in my travels around the internet researching it, I saw one (and only one) review that said his keys were just painted silver and that the paint wore off after a couple of months so the letters just became big blobs of light. I'm wondering if anyone here who has an Eclipse has noticed the same thing. I figure if it's going to happen it will be on a gamer's wasd keys.(xmasmile)

If it is a problem I think I'll cut some contact paper and stick it to the keys to protect them. If I'm careful I don't think it will bother me too much, but I'm not going to waste the time if I don't need to.

jAkUp
12-26-05, 04:46 PM
I've had mine for quite a while, and its still good :D

taliesen
12-26-05, 05:25 PM
Four months no paint loss.

Burpy
12-26-05, 06:33 PM
http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/5126/picture0045bh.jpg

I've had my Eclipse for 6 months & as you can see the S key has rubbed out just a little. I also use wsad for FPS games.
I did e-mail Saitek & they offered to replace it but it seem like to much trouble for just a small flaw in an otherwise flawless keyboard.

I might just contact them & find out what color they used, that way I can just buy some touch up paint & paint it myself. :)

Sazar
12-26-05, 06:42 PM
I hate the paint wearing off.

This is the MAIN reason I moved to the g-15 keyboard. The keys are much better quality.

My saitek was losing paint almost after the 2nd week I had it.

My WASD and C and Ctrl keys all look like burpy's shot. Very irritating.

slick
12-26-05, 06:50 PM
The tarantula should be here soon, get that. :D

lee63
12-26-05, 06:51 PM
Mine's fine as of now, only had it a couple month's though (santa2)

Mudcrutch
12-26-05, 10:05 PM
had mine since it was released and used it pretty extensively.. no signs of wear -- actually it still looks quite new.

j0j081
12-27-05, 12:15 AM
My cheap keyboard has a lot of warn keys especially A, S, and D. Not sure why W is fine because I use that to walk in almost all the games I play. Thanks for this thread because I was considering the Saitek but will pass for now because I know the paint would rub off in no time with my sweaty fps hands lol.

crainger
12-27-05, 01:28 AM
I've had my Eclipse for 6 months & as you can see the S key has rubbed out just a little. I also use wsad for FPS games.
I did e-mail Saitek & they offered to replace it but it seem like to much trouble for just a small flaw in an otherwise flawless keyboard.

I might just contact them & find out what color they used, that way I can just buy some touch up paint & paint it myself. :)

Is that W worn as your always running backwards away from battle? (xmastong) j/k

My sister has had her Saitek for a few months now and hers is fine... I've heard early revisions may suffer paint rubbing off... Although I may also be thinking of the G15, I know for sure quite a few G15 owners have suffered exactly the same problem.

Sazar
12-27-05, 06:59 AM
My cheap keyboard has a lot of warn keys especially A, S, and D. Not sure why W is fine because I use that to walk in almost all the games I play. Thanks for this thread because I was considering the Saitek but will pass for now because I know the paint would rub off in no time with my sweaty fps hands lol.

Lol :D

It's true.

The keyboard is great and feels nice, but its irritating as heck when light just glares at you through holes in the paint.

And its not even sweating that really causes it I think. Dang thing just seems to have worn off.

BrianG
12-27-05, 07:29 AM
Mine is relatively new,since July, but no signs of any wear yet. It makes you wonder if they did in fact change the clearcoat or something...

saturnotaku
12-27-05, 07:48 AM
As a preventative measure, you may want to apply a thin layer of clearcoat or clear nail polish on the keys.

nemecb
12-28-05, 10:21 AM
As a preventative measure, you may want to apply a thin layer of clearcoat or clear nail polish on the keys.
Sounds like people have had some mixed experiences with this, so I may just keep a close eye on it, which won't exactly be unpleasant since the thing looks amazing. If I see keys starting to wear at all then I'll probably do something like this. Would clear nail polish be best or is there something else I should use? With all the clearcoats out there I'm not sure what is appropriate for plastic keys that would wear well. I don't want it to end up foggy after a couple of months, since that would kind of defeat the purpose.

I suppose with nail polish I could always use polish remover if it did, but that might take the paint off the keys too.

Riptide
12-28-05, 10:42 AM
Two things I don't like about my eclipse.

1) The paint wears off. Yes it happens and mine is doing it as well.

2) The lights suck. They aren't bright enough for me to see the letters on the keys in a dark room.

Sazar
12-28-05, 10:46 AM

Its a fact, yes.

2) The lights suck. They aren't bright enough for me to see the letters on the keys in a dark room.

Agreed here too. The lights are not even. The g-15 has every key lighted up very nicely, even the logo lights up beautifully and everything is balanced. Logitech got it right, even though teh keyboard is monstrously massive :eek:

Knot3D
12-28-05, 03:04 PM
Heh, I ordered the older model, Saitek Gaming edition because it fits better imho than the Eclipse, with the Antec P180 case i'm getting.

That older version doesn't have painted see through buttons, just solid black plastic.

anti_mike
12-29-05, 07:11 PM

Not to sound like a dingus or anything, but does anyone even LOOK at their keyboards anymore? I know that I don't. Just a thought

-Mike

BrianG
12-29-05, 09:47 PM
Not to sound like a dingus or anything, but does anyone even LOOK at their keyboards anymore? I know that I don't. Just a thought

-Mike
Dingus.

I am a speed hunt and pecker. I said pecker.

anti_mike
12-30-05, 07:47 AM
Dingus.

I am a speed hunt and pecker. I said pecker.

LOL yes, yes you did!

uOpt
12-30-05, 12:22 PM
I have the gaming variant, not the Eclipse.

key actions sucks, IMHO and on that variant the light doesn't shine through the keys, so it's pretty much useless.

Mudcrutch
02-10-06, 08:06 PM
// thread resurrection

update: previously i reported no wear on my keyboard but now i am noticing it on the "D" and "C" keys.

I emailed support@saitekusa.com and got the following response:

---------------
Hi,

Sorry to hear that - please return the unit to us at the address below including your receipt and a letter explaining the fault (quoting RMA SCI xxxxx) and we'll sort that out for you.

Saitek Industries Ltd.
Attn: Returns
2295 Jefferson St.
Torrance, CA 90501

Best Regards
Chris
Tech Support
Saitek UK
------------------

well thats great and all but I'm not sure how long everything will take -- are they going to replace the entire thing? just some keys?

so I may send it in before my year warranty is up on it. if anybody has actually sent theirs in any comments would be appreciated.

nemecb
02-12-06, 02:32 PM
Funny, I was just going to resurrect this thread and say that after a month and a half or so of heavy use mine is showing no signs of wear at all. How long have you had yours?

Sazar
02-12-06, 02:58 PM
I am going to take mine to work to replace the keyboard I have because even with the wear of the paint, its still a comfortable keyboard :)

My g-15 remains the superior and therefore preferred keyboard for home/gaming usage :D

Mudcrutch
02-13-06, 11:31 AM
Funny, I was just going to resurrect this thread and say that after a month and a half or so of heavy use mine is showing no signs of wear at all. How long have you had yours?

got mine April 26, 2005

just seeing wear now. i will probably send it in within a month.