PDA

View Full Version : "Full Screen Overlay" on DVI

Grestorn
12-27-05, 07:08 AM
I want to use a 6800GT (AGP, First Batch NV40) for my Entertainment PC.

I want to connect two screens to this PC: A standard 1280x1024 TFT monitor, which should show the main desktop and a Toshiba HDTV flat TV screen.

The HDTV screen has a VGA connector that can be configured for YUV input. This connector is occupied by my XBox 360.

There's also a HDMI connector at the HDTV screen, and I bought a cable to connect the standard DVI output of the 6800GT with the HDMI input.

The TFT monitor is connected to the VGA output of the 6800GT (which unfortunately doesn't have a second DVI output, but that's ok).

Technically this works perfectly. I get a great image quality on both the TFT and the HDTV screen.

The problem I got is with the overlay output: In nVidia's control panel is a page for "Full Screen Overlay". On this page, I can force a full screen overlay output on the secondary display, if I chose a clone mode.

After some trial and error, I found out, that this setting just doesn't work with the DVI output. If I change the HDTV as the primary display, the TFT (then secondary display) shows any overlay screen (like the TV software's or the DVD player's output) in full screen while I can still see the desktop (including the overlay in the application's window) on the primary screen.

But I need it the other way round: The TFT has to be the primary display, and the full screen overlay should appear on the HDTV screen. But this doesn't work. I can only imagine, that this "full screen overlay" option doesn't work with the DVI output on NV40 cards.

Can anyone confirm this? Is this a specific problem of AGP NV40 cards? Is there any way to resolve this?

Since I'm not sure if this board is the correct community for this, does anybody know a board where people might have more experience with these problems?

uOpt
12-27-05, 08:38 AM
Same for me in Linux.

The problem is that some of the video features are hardwired to only work on the first screen, and that means the first physical connector, not the first logical/software screen.

You need a DVI-only card to do this.