PDA

View Full Version : FSAA Causing sound distortion in UT

Nemesis
01-13-03, 06:02 AM
Hopefully this is the right place to post this...

I've just installed Win XP Pro SP1 on the below setup. I installed Detonator 41.09 WHQL drivers, which installed and work fine. I've enabled Coolbits, and run at 280/580 on the GF4 in my sig. The whole setup runs perfectly, exept...

If I enable FSAA, and run the original UT, the in-game sound is distorted. If I exit the game, take FSAA off, the problem persists until I reboot. I'm running 1152x864x32 with everything turned up to max. UT is V436 GOTY Edition.

Any Ideas anyone?

Bonzaibob1
01-16-03, 10:24 AM
>If I enable FSAA, and run the original UT, the in-game sound is distorted.

1st off, I'm running the full retail version (non-GOTY though...) at the latest patch level (Epic Games v436). I have added S3TC support via Epic Games OpenGL renderer (2nd CD high resolution textures), the Creative UT EAX patch, and the Immersion TouchSense Patch (Logitech iFeel Mouse). This particular configuration has run very well for me in the past under Win98SE. I first experienced occasional 'garbled sound' under WinXP but on a different HW platform then when running under Win98.

So..., perhaps you've installed the Creative EAX Unreal Tournament add-ons...? If so, then try reinstalling them. I had a similar situation wherein I experienced severely gabbled sound in UT (the announcer voice in 'cityintro' was a good test) running a Soundblaster Extigy on a P4/WinXP/gf4 box. Sometimes the sound would be distorted - exiting the game, running the Creative diagnostics, and selecting 'fix' would usually restore the sound (quad EAX hardware acceleration) to normal. Anyway, I learned to live with it... Eventually I exchanged the Extigy with a spare SB Live in an attempt to resolve some audio issues I was experiencing while playing back DVDs which seemed to be related to USB (1.1) 'bandwidth' limitations. Installing a SB Live corrected those issues however I now had a case of permanently distorted sound unique to my original UT installation - other games seem fine. Unable to locate the source of the problem, I began 'easter egging'...

First off I reinstalled the Creative EAX patches. This appeared to resolve the sound problem however the ifeel mouse patch to UT was no longer working. I then reinstalled the ifeel patch and restarted UT - ah, apparent success. I closed/reopened UT only to discover that the sound problem had returned. Once again I went thru the patch sequence with exactly the same results. Next step was to upgrade the Logitech mouseware and Immersion ifeel software to the latest version and then reinstall the aforementioned EAX and ifeel UT patches. All to no avail - the sound problem persists. What aggravates me is that if I disable ifeel support the sound is fine. Or if I reinstall the ifeel and EAX patches all seems fine until the next time I restart UT. The next thing I plan on doing is a fresh install of UT from the ground up - including all the patches. Then again you may have an entirely different problem and/or configuration... Sorry for the long post but it's not been a simple problem. 'latah /bonzai

duralisis
01-29-03, 07:27 PM
It's DX9, or at least that's what I found it to be. Shortly before I bought my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, I had a SB PCI512 (like a Live! only crappier) with Creative's latest drivers. I found that UT v436 w/ DX9 causes some heavy DirectSound distortion with any kind of GPU/CPU load.

2 ways to fix it:

1. Turn off DirectSound in UT. Either through the menu, or open your x:\unrealtournament\system\unrealtournament.ini file in notepad and change "UseDirectSound" to false under the [Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem] section.

Of course that's the rather crappy way to do it.

2. Run DXDiag and under the sound tab take the acceleration slider all the way down to "Basic" (2nd to left notch), or "Emulation Only" (left most).

EAX may or may not work under Basic.

After all this though you must remember that UT was a DX7 game when it came out and only had a complete rewrite about the time of the 4.32 patch to DX8 (utilizing the cleaner API structure to achieve an overall performance boost). I don't know if the sound core was rewritten or not.