PDA

View Full Version : High Pitched Noise in SLI System

nytejade
12-28-05, 12:29 AM
I'm running 2 x 7800GTX on an Asus A8N SLI Premium. Whenever I'm running an application that puts a bit of a demand on the graphics cards I get a high pitched squealing come from the inside of my case. It's not the fans, and it eventually stops being constant.

I had a similar problem in one of my Shuttle systems with resistor harmonics.

Anyone else had this problem, or something similar?

Card 1: EVGA 7800GTX 256MB
Card 2: MSI 7800GTX 256MB

jAkUp
12-28-05, 01:48 AM
Which powersupply do you have? I get this also, and I discovered the noise was coming from my PSU. I replaced my PSU, it went away for a while, then came back again. Weird.

n0trix
12-28-05, 08:26 AM
I have this problem too,I hear this noise when the intro videos(Sierra logo WB logo) from F.E.A.R. are running and the noise is coming from my two vidcards.
btw,soundcard was removed from system and speaker unplugged and it's not coming from my PSU.
Maybe some bad resistors??

nytejade
12-28-05, 11:08 PM
I have a 500W XInfinity PSU. It's coming from the graphics cards, I'm pretty sure.

Richteralan
12-28-05, 11:41 PM
i got these kinds of noise, too.
some of them coming from my PSU,
and other coming from my 6800GT

nytejade
12-29-05, 02:32 AM
Damnit! How do we fix this problem! I get this whenever anything is being rendered. It happens during movie playback as well! : (

gram_vaz
12-29-05, 02:58 AM
i remember this prob back from the fx days. some guy had a fix where he put hot glue on the card's capacitors and he said the sound was muffled from then on when he did that.

jAkUp
12-29-05, 03:53 AM
I heard it was leaking Caps, but I'm not sure :)

Darkoz
12-29-05, 03:59 AM
I seem to remember that the video card has a small speaker/sensor which sounds off when it's not getting enough power.

nytejade
12-29-05, 10:52 AM
Well, today I exchanged my Ultra X Finity 500w PSU for a 600w iteration. The 600w iteration also has increased amplitude on the 12V rails.

I did extensive testing last night, and it was really hard to tell where the sound was actually coming from. Most of the time it sounded like it was actually coming from the PSU.

I'd say after tonight, with the 600w PSU installed, I'll be able to rule out the PSU if it's still making noise.

nytejade
12-29-05, 10:59 AM
I seem to remember that the video card has a small speaker/sensor which sounds off when it's not getting enough power.

This is interesting, and I believe I've heard something similar before, but over Christmas I managed to play FEAR for a good 5 hours straight without inerruption.

nytejade
12-30-05, 12:49 AM
Well. I installed the 600w PSU this afternoon around 1pm. I played a fair amount of Call of Duty 2 and a heavy amount of Unreal Tournament 2004...

So far, no noises. Except for the horrendous dual 80mm fans in the PSU which sound like an airplane.

I'd urge you guys to upgrade your PSU's to higher wattage and higher aplitude on the 12V rail.

My PSU has dual rail, for reference.

12V1: 18a
12V2: 20a

Richteralan
12-30-05, 04:06 AM
The problem exists for me with my solid PSU.

nytejade
12-30-05, 08:57 AM
The problem exists for me with my solid PSU.

I hear you. My PSU was solid as well. It may be a good idea to simply buy a PSU somewhere you know you can return it, just to try it out. Also do the same with your video card. Try to narrow down the part that's making the noise.

Some times this noise does actually come from the capacitors on the motherboard itself. At that point you might want to think about RMA'ing your motherboard.

nV`andrew
12-30-05, 11:40 AM
Well...I probably won't go SLi until next christmas, hopefully by then there is some sli 2.0 etc...As for the noise, that is scary (sofahide)

good luck with ur guys' problems

SH0DAN
12-30-05, 11:45 AM
More wattage and such can mean next to nothing on most psu's,its more the brand that matters.I have a 550 watt Antec True 2.0/as well as a 490 watt OCZ
Modstream that both cant pump out as much juice/or supply it as clean as my PPC.

Roadhog
12-30-05, 02:31 PM
i get a squeeling from my psu after i shut off my pc.. But you have to put your ear up to it to hear it. I think its normal?