PDA

View Full Version : SLI eVGA 7800GTX 512's on A8N-SLI Premium.. Computer shuts off while gaming..

roper512
12-28-05, 02:48 PM
Okay so here's the abridged version:

I had dual 7800GTX 256meg cards and dual core processor.. Worked flawless in all games.. Now I have dual 7800GTX 512meg cards.. I get random shutdowns in many games after about 5-10 minutes of play (although for some reason World of Warcraft runs flawless for as long as I play)

Here are the things that changed between now and then:

1) the new cards have higher clocks and probably take up more juice?
2) my sound card had to get shoved to the last PCI slot..

Now, problem is, the last PCI slot on my Asus A8N-SLI premium apparently shares with video. I was thinking this was the issue as when i run video stress test programs i have no shutdowns..

Unfortunately due to the 7800 512's taking up a bunch of slots on the mobo, the last pci slot I believe is my only option..

Another problem is I'm not sure if it's the sound card conflicting with the video, or if its a video card problem or if it's the power supply not giving the system enough juice during very demanding gaming..

I'm coming to you guys for help.. I have ran Prime95 to rule out CPU problem and I ran Memtest86 overnight with no errors.. Maybe I'm not doing a good enough job at stressing. I do not overclock any of my stuff..

Also, my computer never shuts down when I'm not gaming

I posted this in another forum and someone replied with this link:

http://theinquirer.net/?article=28588

Is there any validity to this article?

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas? My computer specs are below:

SLI 7800GTX eVGA 512meg cards
Asus A8N-SLI premium motherboard (Bios 1008)
AMD Athlon 64 4400+ X2
2gig (1gbx2) OCZ memory
Antec TruePower 550w
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Dell 2405fpw

I really want this issue solved and if it requires buying a nicer PSU I will do it I'm just looking to you all for help.

Thanks

jAkUp
12-28-05, 03:08 PM
Try a different PSU. Maybe people are having the same issue with that motherboard and some PC Power and Cooling PSU's... maybe Antec is another one with issues.

Redshirt #24
12-28-05, 03:19 PM
The PC could just be whimpering and saying "I can't take it any more! It's too much! Help!" as the video cards make it their bitch...

Marvel_us
12-28-05, 03:26 PM
It could but realistically it probably just depends finding the right components that allow it to work. I agree w/ Jakup, changing the PSU would be a nice place to start.

roper512
12-28-05, 03:59 PM
Okay, new PSU it is.. anyone have recommendation for a great PSU that definately works with this motherboard/SLI combination?

n0trix
12-28-05, 05:11 PM
Before you buy a new PSU try it with only one of the vidcards.
And try it without the soundcard installed only the two vidcards,you should flash to latest mb bios.I see in your sig you have bios version 1008 the new one is 1009 and the latest beta is 1011.001.
Is the EZ plug connected ? ;)

Badash
12-28-05, 06:52 PM
Give me one of the cards and I will test it for you :super:
That is the only part I am waiting on for my new build. Tired of waiting. Anyone have any info whatsoever on a evga 7800 512mb at an authorized reseller so I will be able to use the step up later let me know.

HYBRID
12-28-05, 09:22 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163109

the above power supply is modular and it kicks ass highly recommend it.