PDA

View Full Version : Dual power supplies

DiscipleDOC
12-28-05, 03:09 PM
I've asked this question before...but I want to know know your opinions on it. How do you do dual power supplies? I thought that a power supply would have to bee connected to the motherboard? How would the other one be helpful? What is your opinion about going dual?

I ask these questions because in a few months, I will have an sli setup, and I would think that a dual psu setup would be a good setup....

Discuss.

jAkUp
12-28-05, 03:48 PM
You can run a dual setup, some would not recommend it. To run a PSU without a motherboard, all you need to do is jumper pins 4&6 (or the green and black wires) with a paperclip or something, then just plug it in.

DiscipleDOC
12-28-05, 04:36 PM
You can run a dual setup, some would not recommend it. To run a PSU without a motherboard, all you need to do is jumper pins 4&6 (or the green and black wires) with a paperclip or something, then just plug it in.
Ya...I knew about the 4&6 jumper pins (I have to do that in order to clean my cooling setup. Is that all there is to it?

Medion
12-28-05, 06:48 PM
I'm not very knowledgable in terms of runnign dual PSUs, but IMO, there's no need. Even for an SLI setup, there are quality PSUs that put out more power even on the 12V rails than you'll liekly need in the next 5 years.

And if you want to do the SLI dual-GPU (quad GPU essentially) as well as 2 quad-core CPUs when they come out, well, PC P&C has a $500 1kw PSU just for you :)

Muppet
12-29-05, 02:57 AM
Here's a pic or two of that cable i was telling you about,it's pretty simple really.http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/CraigCooper/PICT0641.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/CraigCooper/PICT0642.jpg

jAkUp
12-29-05, 02:58 AM
Nice! :) I've never seen one of those :)

Muppet
12-29-05, 03:00 AM
It would be really easy to make if you had a old spare PSU lying around that you could take the plug off (xmassign)

Muppet
12-29-05, 03:00 AM
Nice! :) I've never seen one of those :)
Yeah they come factory with the Coolermaster Stacker case (mikec)

jolle
12-29-05, 07:41 AM
I got a vague memory of some warnings here.. out of phase power or something, using 2 different sources could kill the hardware if the power is uneven or somesuch..
not sure at all what it was about tho, anyone?

BrianG
12-29-05, 07:49 AM
The real concern is voltage float difference between the two causing potential between linked components. What does that mean?

Don't power anything with the second psu that also take power from the mobo. You do not want 5V throguh the mobo and 5.1V through an external connector. that means you have .1V of potential across your hardware. Bad. Example, Radeon 9800 Pro, powered through the mobo and through a four oin HD connection from the second PSU.

That is why in another thread I asked the guy about any wierd ssues since his vid cards were powered from two different PSUs.

ricercar
12-31-05, 01:38 PM
Don't power SLI video cards from different PSUs. The out-of-phase power will damage the hardware.

I've powered AGP graphics cards from a separate PSU than the motherboard with success. I benchmarked AGP cards 10-15% improvement using a dedicated 300W PSU for the video card + 250W for the motherboard drives, compared to a 480W PSU for the entire system.