PDA

View Full Version : Constant lockups with BF2???....anyone else have the same prob?

Fathertime36
12-28-05, 03:55 PM
I really don't know what the cause of this issue is, too many things have changed on my system and the game itself, I mean i have upgraded my vga boards, I have purchased and installed BF special forces expansion, and I 'am using the new more current nvidia driver 81.98, I started experiencing it when I replaced 2 6600gt I had in sli and replaced them both with a single 7800gt ,everytime I enter a game be it single player or online I always get a freeze, along with this the sound locks up and stutters on the same sound file, this all last anywhere from 15-45 seconds, then bame smooth as butter, well the 7800gt came with a really crappy oem bios, I was having all sorts of issues with pretty much all of the games I tried to run, I dl a new bios and it has corrected said issues with all games, but I still have this one lock-up/stuttering sound thing going on with BF2, I also went through a couple of reinstalls of win xp, tried it with and without the nvidia ide drivers, used the default windows ide drivers when not installing the nvidia ide drivers, tried a couple different version of the more current crop of nvidia display drivers, all clean installs, even turned down the sound hardware acceleration settings incase that might be causing the problem, man this is a hard one to figure out, none of the usual suspects seem to be causing the problem.....my system is clean, background processes are reduced to a mere 17 in number with zero cpu load when idle and very minimal memory usage when idle, I use (disk keeper) religiously everytime I boot and and a registry maintance program (registry mechanic), and scan for viruses/worms each an every time also.......I don't accept this misconception that I need or should have to have 2 gb or ram installed either, I think this is pure bull, if you tweak your pagfile settings it will minimize issues people are having with seek times, I mean I have heard and read about people having somewaht similar problems, lag at the beginning of the round from the very launch of this game, I had never experienced anything of this issue though until reccently...anyone know what the cause might be....even if all you have to offer is speculation.

john19055
12-28-05, 09:30 PM
You would be surprise to how much 2gig helps BF2 run,do you have just single PCIe enable in your bios.plus I see you are overclocking the 7800GT pretty far 515 pretty high and 1215 on your 2ns memory which is just rated at 1000 ,you might back down your overclock on your video card.

bigjohns97
12-29-05, 12:28 AM
when you upgraded video cards you turned up you rvideo card settings in the game causing your memory to run out.

so somtimes windows has to swap disk with mem these are the 15-45 sec spikes you talk about.

Tuork
12-29-05, 12:45 AM
I'm actully having a crash problem with BF2.

Every now and then the game locks up, stutters and then throws me back to the desktop.
The changes I made to my system since I last played the game (months ago) was jumping from 768mb to 1GB of RAM, and updating the ForceWare drivers to current.

Any ideas?

SH64
12-29-05, 01:06 AM
I'm actully having a crash problem with BF2.

Every now and then the game locks up, stutters and then throws me back to the desktop.
The changes I made to my system since I last played the game (months ago) was jumping from 768mb to 1GB of RAM, and updating the ForceWare drivers to current.

Any ideas?

Try upping your DRAM voltage .. see if it helps.

Sex_packets
12-29-05, 02:44 AM
Yes I used to get CTD problem a lot. I reinstalled and defragged the other day and haven't seen this problem again yet.

Hunter32
12-29-05, 08:08 AM
I went from 1gb to 2 gb and it made a difference. No stuttering or lock up's.

SidMeier
12-29-05, 09:49 AM
IF you get stuttering, let go of AA first, then lighting and then texture quality.
1GB is a minimum for BF2 and money is better spent on an extra gig of ram than on a new video card..

Fathertime36
12-29-05, 11:25 AM
I understand the thing about extra ram and all, but i wasn't having this problem before hand, I actually upgraded from pc3200 to faster pc4800 ram and went from 2 blahh 6600gt's to a 7800gt, ie. lots more pixel pipes, 128mb more frame buffer etc, etc....I run it at native 1280x1024, fps are pretty dang good online, af x4, no aa, all settings on high except for for med light and shadows....hmm don't know. btw i have tried it with the vga at stock clocks also, same difference, no artifacts=core beyond threshold or snow=memory beyond threshold....anyway I guess i need to update my sig, i run the card at 500/1180 24/7 in 3d performance setting and 460/1100 default 3d/2d.

Fathertime36
12-29-05, 11:28 AM
when you upgraded video cards you turned up you rvideo card settings in the game causing your memory to run out.

so somtimes windows has to swap disk with mem these are the 15-45 sec spikes you talk about.

I have reinstalled windows xp several times, along with bf2 several times...like 4, but i know what you are speaking of, each time you change the profile video settings it makes a new video setting's folder, and causes issues someyimes, kind of like multiple control cofig files, where you have to manually go in and delete, good suggestion though, thanks anyway.

$n][pErMan
12-29-05, 11:34 AM
I went from 1gb to 2 gb and it made a difference. No stuttering or lock up's.
Same here awhile back. However, after the last patch EA must have screwed up again because occasionally I will get stuttering and its really annoying as everything was working flawlessly on full settings before the patch. :mad: I was even able to play without a single sutter at 1280x1024 with 4xAA and 16xAF. Gerrrrrrrrrrrr....... Im also pissed I had the best round I ever had last night score of 112 and team score of 78. Got the one ribbon I was trying to get as well.... but good old EA gave me the shaft and somehow it never got recorded! GG EA!!! :mad: