PDA

View Full Version : Who is the official NVIDIA reference board maker now?

Gator
01-13-03, 12:05 PM
Quick question, I know Visiontek was considered Nvidia's OFFICIAL reference board manufacturer. Who is it now? MSI? Nobody? Just curious :confused:

Kruno
01-13-03, 12:24 PM
No idea, I will add this though:

Yet more shades of 3dfx creeping into the picture. -Saturnotaku

Wouldn't it be ironic if Nvidia goes bankrupt for the same reasons 3dfx had?
The irony would be too much for me to handle.
The curse of 3dfx. :p ;) :D
I wonder who will be next up to buy the 3dfx and/or nVidia patents and have the curse carry on. ;)

wb22gprix
01-13-03, 12:58 PM
I think it's going to be BFG Technologies...the company that appeared with a few Visiontek employees shortly after Visiontek left the picture..

Lezmaka
01-13-03, 01:20 PM
Weren't all the 9700 pro's that were sold in the first few months made by ATI and they sold them to other manufacturers until some of them could make their own board design?

Gator
01-13-03, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Lezmaka
Weren't all the 9700 pro's that were sold in the first few months made by ATI and they sold them to other manufacturers until some of them could make their own board design?

That was a pretty random question totally unrelated to what I posted :rolleyes: ... but to answer your question, yes.

SurfMonkey
01-14-03, 12:14 PM
I think MSI may have stepped into the void. At least I hope that MSI have stepped into the void.:eek:

volt
01-14-03, 12:37 PM
I'm hearing that MSI did build the reference design for NVIDIA. In my opinion MSI will release their cards with red PCB and custom cooling system.

marqmajere
01-14-03, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by volt
I'm hearing that MSI did build the reference design for NVIDIA. In my opinion MSI will release their cards with red PCB and custom cooling system.

The red would be nice, but I like that purple PCB they had. They were out of them when I ordered.:(

volt
01-14-03, 01:37 PM
Yea anything other than green is very nice heehe :)

wb22gprix
01-14-03, 01:38 PM
I like green, matches my motherboard :p

volt
01-14-03, 04:51 PM
Yea, but there is a bit of controversy whether that is true or not.

zakelwe
01-15-03, 03:32 AM
I think MSI do Creatives cards for them ( they certainly did with the GF4 series ).

that being the case it is likely that this is how the confusion arose, that the Inquirer reported on, in that Creative claimed they were going to be the first to market, ie because MSI do the reference designs and MSI do the stuff for Creative.

But then nvidia said they were going to supply all the cards as they had so complex a PCB. If the PCB is that complex then I guess nvidia would prefer MSI to make them than Pixelator inc of Alabama ....

All evidence points to MSI at this point but of course it is not 100% certain until nvidia says who are doing them.

SurfMonkey
01-15-03, 03:40 AM
I'd forgotten that my Creative card was actually a re-badged MSI card. Overclocks nicely too :D

Oh and zakelwe are you any realtion to the chairmaker?

zakelwe
01-15-03, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by SurfMonkey
I'd forgotten that my Creative card was actually a re-badged MSI card. Overclocks nicely too :D

Oh and zakelwe are you any realtion to the chairmaker?

My MSI overclocks nicely too and it was slightly cheaper than the Creative as well of course.

Yes it is, I spelt it with an e though to avoid upsetting Google searches :) We wouldn't want all those innocent Iain M Banks fans stumbling into an argument over 256 v 128 DDR 1 DDR 2 bandwidth issues.

Might think we are geeks and report us to the police :D

Regards

Andy

PS dizietsma posts on Rage3d LOL

SurfMonkey
01-15-03, 04:02 AM
Yeah, I just noticed Ms Sma's name when I was checking another hellforleather aka smellfinder aka hellbinder's purple faced, spittle flecked monitor, rants over at Rage3D. The 17k score on a stock XP has upset some apple carts.

zakelwe
01-15-03, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by SurfMonkey
Yeah, I just noticed Ms Sma's name when I was checking another hellforleather aka smellfinder aka hellbinder's purple faced, spittle flecked monitor, rants over at Rage3D. The 17k score on a stock XP has upset some apple carts.

LOL

I try to be reasonable over there as it is their forum and it's good to be enthusiastic about hardware and to " support your team " but sometimes when I have been drinking and the bashing too much I have been known to go over the top as well :)

We'll soon see though, their either be lots of humble pie eaten or lots of **** eating grins depending on the benchmarks for the FX.

Regards

Andy

SurfMonkey
01-15-03, 04:31 AM
I started off at Rage3D and within three days I'd fallen foul of the other confrontation is best fool, PoopScooper aka DoomTrooper, who promptly followed me to every board I visited to have a bash :rolleyes:

I like Rage3D, but it is a complete vipers nest, and the amount of pure chest bashing that goes on is amazing. It's about the only forum where I feel the need to pack virtual heat :D

Though I did have a go at DT over at Beyond3D in a thread that promptly got locked tighter than a nuns chuff!

Blakhart
01-16-03, 01:20 AM
Oy, that's tight!