PDA

View Full Version : Handling Hardware: Safely...

nV`andrew
12-28-05, 09:21 PM
Well, since that other static electricity thread was a bout a different issue, I didn't want to ask again in there because then someone would reply and the original author would be flamed and so on.

I'm not super worried, but its my first build (a costly one) for the thousandth time, and I don't want to ruin anything. So, when I am touching my hardware and building my comptuer, on which surface would be the best to do this on (i have wood, tile, carpet, concrete in my garage). Should i wear shoes, no shoes. Stuff like that. The computer won't be on so touching the back supposively won't ground me.
Yes, I have worked on computer before, I want to be extra careful with this beauty though :)

Thanks again guys!

rev.
12-28-05, 09:40 PM
Best thing, rubber soled shoes and concrete or tile and use a static strap to ground you. Honestly, I dont even worry anymore myself...I just keep a part of my bare skin touching the case somewhere to ground myself. I think lately I have been in socks on my carpetted dinning room LOL..... Don't try this at home (rudolf)

brady
12-28-05, 10:08 PM
Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never worried about it. I was running around in my socks on our carpet during my last build.

nV`andrew
12-28-05, 10:18 PM
in ur carpeted dining room, and socks...

i was installing fans yesterday in our carpeted dining room with socks lol

Infinity666
12-28-05, 11:12 PM
you dont hae to be super catious wear shoes put it together on anything but the carpet and touch the case to discharge any static ive built a machine in my bed before while eating and watching some simpsons

brady
12-28-05, 11:16 PM
I remember how scared I was when I was installing my first video card at 14. I was so afraid of frying the "electronics."

nV`andrew
12-28-05, 11:38 PM
I remember how scared I was when I was installing my first video card at 14. I was so afraid of frying the "electronics."

heh well then you know how i feel, im the same age, suprisingly...i guess ill wear shoes and build on the tile
at my age, im still prepared and i know what I'm doing. didn't just buy this stuff for trial and error or something, im gonna put my time into building tihs carefully and i will prtoect this system with my life ;)

Absolution
12-28-05, 11:40 PM
i wear socks when i build and im usually on carpet :p

then again i hardly get static in my basement

EMunEeE
12-29-05, 02:05 AM
I've become comfortable enough to not even worry. I do take the steps to be sure my components don't become useless, but I mean, my latest system build was on a rug in socks...and my PC is still flawless. Just make sure to ground yourself.

nV`andrew
12-29-05, 11:34 AM
Thanks for help so far guys

Still excepting suggestions and tips, stuff like that...

CaptNKILL
12-29-05, 12:15 PM
Ive zapped parts once or twice and never damaged anything. In all the years Ive been working on this stuff I cant say Ive seen any direct static-related damage.

brady
12-29-05, 12:20 PM
Ive zapped parts once or twice and never damaged anything. In all the years Ive been working on this stuff I cant say Ive seen any direct static-related damage.

Yeah, I'd like to hear somebody with a story regarding static-related damage. If anyone out there has a static-related damage story please post it!!! Seriously though, I've even used a vacuum cleaner hose to clean out the inside of one of my PC's. Vacuums can create a tremendous amount of static. Again, perhaps I'm just lucky; however I've developed an idea in my head that computer harware is generally more tough than most people think.

nV`andrew
12-29-05, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I'd like to hear somebody with a story regarding static-related damage. If anyone out there has a static-related damage story please post it!!! Seriously though, I've even used a vacuum cleaner hose to clean out the inside of one of my PC's. Vacuums can create a tremendous amount of static. Again, perhaps I'm just lucky; however I've developed an idea in my head that computer harware is generally more tough than most people think.

Good to hear, thisk ind of ''reassures'' me :luv: myabe im being 2 cautious

Starscream
12-29-05, 12:40 PM
The computer won't be on so touching the back supposively won't ground me.

An extremely easy way to ground yourself in a situation like this is to take the power supply, plug it in to AC power and flip the switch on it to off. Then just touch the bare metal of the power supply once in a while or if it's mounted in the case touch the bare metal of the case.

I do this all the time while building pc's in my store.

Knot3D
02-06-06, 10:09 AM
Question : yesterday i finalized my X2 4800 machine in the Antec P180 case.

While fastening the last outside screw of the case's side panel there was some static between the screw and my screwdriver. I did wear rubber soles though, I touched the case, the pc was on a wooden cupboard, unplugged.

It freaked me out :( Fortunately it did boot up perfectly and it ran memtest without any error the whole afternoon 'til midnight.

Should i be worried paranoid ? :(

ynnek
02-06-06, 12:58 PM
I'm telling you man.. If you're that worried. Just get an ESD strap and/or foor mat. $10 for piece of mind.

I personally don't use one though.

Starscream
02-06-06, 01:17 PM
Should i be worried paranoid ? :(

No.

Tygerwoody
02-06-06, 03:50 PM
I think of computer parts to new builders the same way I do babies to new parents.

The first one you are extremely gentle with.... after experience you realize the parts arent as fragile as you might think they are. I've built well over a 1000 computers by now. I've never fried a part, nor ever even shocked a part. I've never grounded myself. :p