PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty 2 and SLI ....I know , another thread

Peoples-Agent
12-30-05, 06:24 AM
Hi folks,

Sorry to go over old threads as such, I have only just got around to playing Call of Duty 2 ...seems there is alot of hoohaa about this game when it comes to performance / settings etc.

Just wondered if somebody could tell me if this performancewise is acceptable for my system. It's like something doesn't "feel right" as such.

I am using the 82.12 drivers, game is set to 1280 by 960, X2AA, Smoke set to World Only and everything else set to max or "Extra" as the game calls it.

In the console I have forced the r_multigpu 1 , and played with the r_gpusync command although the default 3 seems to feel the best.

I dunno, look at this screenie, bearing in mind I have turned off v-sync ...around 30-40 fps seems to be pretty damn terrible.
For some reason in that screenie is upto 45, but usually on that scene it isnt.

Heres the screenie.....

Anyone have any ideas? ...I tried that picmips thing and very little help.

- D , any pointers would be welcome.

rewt
12-30-05, 09:06 AM
Having textures set to Extra is probably killing your performance. Try setting them to High instead. You probably won't notice much difference in quality.

OWA
12-30-05, 09:17 AM
You can add this: +set r_multigpu 1 to the shortcut to avoid having to set it in the console or set it from the menu options every time you play.

Peoples-Agent
12-30-05, 09:19 AM
Ahh thanks for the tips .....

I will see if there's much difference setting the textures to High instead of Extra.

rewt
12-30-05, 09:24 AM
Might just be the game engine. Even jAkUp says the performance of this game is not too spectacular, and he has two 7800 GTX 512MB.

Peoples-Agent
12-30-05, 09:32 AM
Yeah , that had crossed my mind ....I think its one of those things, fixed intime with patches and what not.

OWA
12-31-05, 12:01 PM
Yeah, the game is pretty tough on systems.

jAkUp
12-31-05, 12:57 PM
Yea performance is horrible considering the graphics.

Graphics are good, but not fantastic. 1600x1200 2x/4x here and its dipping maybe to the mid 20's in FPS at times. The FPS fluctuate quite a bit.

Its pretty obvious that not much effort went into the PC version, just look at that SLI option that keeps getting unticked. How could you miss that??!! Yet they still haven't released a simple hotfix to fix that problem. Yea you can add the switch to the shortcut, but they still should have addressed this by now.

Peoples-Agent
12-31-05, 05:14 PM
Its the action in numbers I love, constant bombardment of crap everywhere... explosions and what not, gets so immersive at times the frame rate dont seem to matter much. Even at 35/40 fps you hardly notice it , unlike other games. I was WTF WTF WTF when playing the British campaign and saw all those germans running across from the horizon.

Just never assumed a game would fall over so badly, I thought the PC had MADE CoD as big as it was, not sure how they could neglect it so much.

sillyeagle
01-01-06, 03:08 AM
Having textures set to Extra is probably killing your performance. Try setting them to High instead. You probably won't notice much difference in quality.

With my 12 pipe x850 Pro I actually run with textures on EXTRA, and drop some of the ohter settings down a notch to make up. I happen to think those extra textures don't have that big of a performance hit compared to some stuff and make more of a difference than anything else visually, especially on the gun models. Seems to draw me in more when the gun right in front of my face is as real as it gets.

Review
01-01-06, 04:34 AM
In that screeny your graphics cards aren't maxed out...

Peoples-Agent
01-01-06, 05:04 AM
In that screeny your graphics cards aren't maxed out...

Well thats the thing, I'm not sure how the hell it even got that high for that scene, think I had been playing with the picmips and hadnt set it back to high again.

Happy New Year

Burnt_Ram
01-02-06, 10:26 AM
that performance seems awful low for 2 7800's imo. i run it at 1024x768 2xAA 8xAF, with softsmoke on "world only" shadows on, lighting normal with everything else maxed, and i'm getting 40-85 fps in multiplayer with vsync and tripple buffering forced. runs great except the odd slow down on the winter maps ;) not bad for "one" 7800GT eh ...

Peoples-Agent
01-02-06, 01:37 PM
I run it in 1280 by 960 or 1280 by 1024 tho m8.
And everything maxed out including the lighting. Details and what not set to Extra.

Perhaps im asking a little too much from this game.

Burnt_Ram
01-02-06, 01:59 PM
I run it in 1280 by 960 or 1280 by 1024 tho m8.
And everything maxed out including the lighting. Details and what not set to Extra.

Perhaps im asking a little too much from this game.as you should be able to with 2 7800's don't you think. imo you should be able to run at 1600x1200 with 2 card's and get great fps. i've seen guys that do ? at 1280 you don't get any better than i do with one card ?

Peoples-Agent
01-02-06, 02:22 PM
Ive got a feeling something isn't right.
Not sure whether its driver related or what, only this poxy game that has me stumphed.

Burnt_Ram
01-02-06, 03:41 PM
Ive got a feeling something isn't right.
Not sure whether its driver related or what, only this poxy game that has me stumphed.
i got a feeling you are right about something not being right ;) with SLI enabled you "should" be doing alot better !