PDA

View Full Version : Antec NeoPower 480W and 2 BFG 7800GTX OCs

shoman24v
12-30-05, 08:46 AM
I had a SeaSonic S12 600w PSU that was more then capable of doing SLi. I have a friend who wanted to trade me for a pratically new Antec NeoPower 480w. He had gotten a case were the wires from the NeoPower wouldn't reach inside his case (due to it's modular design). I also wanted a PSU that would offer loomed wires and Modular design, so he called me up and we traded.

Anyways I love this power supply, now I have a chance to get a second BFG 7800GTX OC from him for $375 shipped which is a great deal. My question is will the NeoPower 480 have enough juice to power my rig and 2x 7800s?

BrianG
12-30-05, 10:35 AM
I'm thinking no. It'll be close as the NeoPower does sport quite a bit of 12V power for a 180W PSu, but only 33A? You may want to look at upgrading.

Medion
12-30-05, 03:46 PM
It will be close. Should be able to handle the job as long as you bring both cards down to standard clock speeds. Anything over that will be trial and error.

Roliath
12-30-05, 04:48 PM
Nice of you to help a friend out and all, but I would have kept the seasonic..
just my two cents.

shoman24v
12-30-05, 05:08 PM
Nice of you to help a friend out and all, but I would have kept the seasonic..
just my two cents.
It's not that big of a deal. I had problems with trying to wire things with that PSU. The wires were too long and I didn't use 3/4 of them.

It will be close. Should be able to handle the job as long as you bring both cards down to standard clock speeds. Anything over that will be trial and error.
How would I know if the PSU didn't have sufficent power. Also if I went SLi I woudn't overclock the cards.

Medion
12-30-05, 07:02 PM
How would I know if the PSU didn't have sufficent power. Also if I went SLi I woudn't overclock the cards.

Best way would be to borrow your old SeaSonic. Benchmark the cards with each PSU and see if there is a dropoff with the Antec.

Most ofthe time, if your PSU is lacking in power, the system will either shut down, or the GPU/CPU will be a bit slow.

|JuiceZ|
12-31-05, 12:26 PM
It won't, I have tried it. Your pc will boot up just fine but as soon as you open a 3d app it'll reboot. Another member on the forums experienced the same problem. Hang onto that SeaSonic S12.