PDA

View Full Version : Revolution is quite small

BioHazZarD
12-30-05, 04:51 PM
http://tinypic.com/j9ptw0.jpg

Gaco
12-30-05, 05:01 PM
I'd preferably have some more power rather than more mobility, but hey that's just me :D
*Gaco hugs his Xbox460* :hug:

jAkUp
12-30-05, 05:11 PM
I don't understand why you need mobility on a console, most people rarely move it.

Edge
12-30-05, 05:53 PM
I'd preferably have some more power rather than more mobility, but hey that's just me :D
*Gaco hugs his Xbox460* :hug:
Yeah, I can't help but wonder if the reason they aren't supporting HDTV, etc. is because the hardware needed for those things would make the console bigger. It's nice that the console takes up less space and all, but I'd much rather have a better experience with the games than have extra space on my shelves.

BTW, what's the Xbox 460? ;)

jAkUp
12-30-05, 06:02 PM
Well to do HDTV you would need a machine capable of at least 1280x720 resolution. I imagine that the cooling, and hardware for that is not quite enough to fit in a 2 year old's shoebox :) Not to mention it will cost them quite a bit more.

I have a feeling that many developers will not port games from the PS3/360 to the Gamecube. They would need to significantly scale down the graphics/textures, and I think that would be too large of a task. Not to mention that they have to try to make it work with the "remote control" when the other consoles are using standard controllers. Maybe the dagger in Nintendo's heart? Who knows...

nV`andrew
12-30-05, 06:02 PM
Hey that's a good comparision graph/chart/picture thingy.

To not support HD is outrageous...

Zelda_fan
12-30-05, 06:11 PM
You don't need mobility in a console, but a small sleek design is gonna sell better than a bulky XBOX360. Maybe not to hardcore gamers, but Nintendo isn't aiming for hardcore gamers. They are aiming at the general public that dosen't play games, and in order to reach them they have to make the deisgn look slick.

Gaco
12-31-05, 02:30 AM
You don't need mobility in a console, but a small sleek design is gonna sell better than a bulky XBOX360. Maybe not to hardcore gamers, but Nintendo isn't aiming for hardcore gamers. They are aiming at the general public that dosen't play games, and in order to reach them they have to make the deisgn look slick.

The Xbox360 isn't much bigger than most DVD players, and especially not the DVD/VRC Combo ones. I don't know what you mean by bulky, I would have had space for a 10 times as big console under my TV, and if you for some reason should think it's a little bulky (???), the design more than makes up for it IMO.

I don't think that's an excuse for not supporting HDTV. Many non-hardcore players would definently want to play on their HDTV. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that the genereal public are totally repulsed if a console is not as small as "a 2 year old shoebox" to use jAkUp's words.
Lower specs, alternative controls methods ect. is all cool, but it is still a little stupid not to support HDTVs. I think that's what will really seperate the men from the boys when the public will have to choose consoles (xmasgrin)

marqmajere
12-31-05, 03:00 AM
Wow. I guess since I don't an HDTV I'm not a man. Spending $1000+ on a tv makes me more of a human being. **** you guys. I'm buying a revolution because of the games, not because it supports a higher rez tv which I can't afford. 2 year old's shoe box. Thank's for making me feel better about my purchasing practices. That's pretty stereotypical.

Toss3
12-31-05, 05:50 AM
Can it even play DVD's ? I mean if it isn't designed for gamers and doesn't support dvd's then what good does it? It's nice that it has a very cool yet simple design but I wouldn't want to pay for a box that can't do anything, except for playing games at the same quality my xbox1 could and my xbox could play dvd's... I'm just confused :-S but maybe you could enlighten me?

Zelda_fan
12-31-05, 10:33 AM
Can it even play DVD's ? I mean if it isn't designed for gamers and doesn't support dvd's then what good does it? It's nice that it has a very cool yet simple design but I wouldn't want to pay for a box that can't do anything, except for playing games at the same quality my xbox1 could and my xbox could play dvd's... I'm just confused :-S but maybe you could enlighten me?

I never said it wasn't designed for gamers, I said it wasn't deisgned for HARDCORE GAMERS. For the morons who think their dick grows bigger becasue of their HDTV, the PS3 and XBOX 360 was made for them. For the rest of the world who plays games becasue they are fun, the revolution will be the console of choice.

It amazes me the logic people use when they bash the revolution. OMG it dosent' support DVD. OMG it dosen't do High Res. Who cares. The point of buying a revolution is to play games on the revolution. If the games are fun, then who really gives a crap about all the "gimic" features.

Zelda_fan
12-31-05, 10:34 AM
The Xbox360 isn't much bigger than most DVD players, and especially not the DVD/VRC Combo ones. I don't know what you mean by bulky, I would have had space for a 10 times as big console under my TV, and if you for some reason should think it's a little bulky (???), the design more than makes up for it IMO.

I don't think that's an excuse for not supporting HDTV. Many non-hardcore players would definently want to play on their HDTV. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that the genereal public are totally repulsed if a console is not as small as "a 2 year old shoebox" to use jAkUp's words.
Lower specs, alternative controls methods ect. is all cool, but it is still a little stupid not to support HDTVs. I think that's what will really seperate the men from the boys when the public will have to choose consoles (xmasgrin)

Most of the public does NOT have HDTVs. Nintendo didn't make a HDTV console because 720p isn't mainstream yet, and they are aiming for the mainstream.

|MaguS|
12-31-05, 10:52 AM
Most of the public does NOT have HDTVs. Nintendo didn't make a HDTV console because 720p isn't mainstream yet, and they are aiming for the mainstream.

Then why do they make mainly childish games? The majority of gamers today are 17+ (over 75%), The PS3 and X360 aren't only for hardcore games but the mainstream. Thats why they will have titles for all age ranges like the previous consoles, the Revolution will probably follow the Gamecubes patha nd only have ha handful of titles that interest older gamers and the rest of children.

Nintendo is a failure in the console market, they haven't been a the top of their game since the SNES. They think they still know the gaming market but the sales show different. You can't make the power argument since the PS2 was the weaker of the consoles and sold the best, its all about the titles on the systems and the Gamecube had the weakest lineup, just like the N64.

To aim to the general public that doesn't play games with a gimic device like the revolutions controller is foolish, if these are people that do not play games they will see the controller as a toy more then a game for the PS3 that aims at their special interest (like working out with the eyetoy (kenetic) or even putting themselves in the game as an interactive movie.)

The Revolution really has nothing over the PS3 if Sony is wise enough to bundle it with the eyetoy.

Zelda_fan
12-31-05, 10:57 AM
If you think Zelda and Metroid are "kiddy" games then I don't know what to say to you. Even though Mario may have kiddy themes, adults can still enjoy it. I really can't believe that people are still using the "childish games" arguement.

You may think that Revolution's controller is stupid, but just about every major developer (Squaresoft, Capcom to name a few) thinks otherwise.

The gamecube was a screw up, i'll admit that. Nintendo's first party titles weren't up to par, but I'm sure they know this and are fixing it.

|MaguS|
12-31-05, 11:10 AM
Who cares about first party titles? You use that as a defense all the time and its a poor one. You cannot win a console war with first party titles only, the N64 and Gamecube have shown this. Sony has proven that to win the console war you NEED strong 3rd party support.

Sure some companies are saying they are interested but how many are going to actually support it? Look at the N64, it was the system that followed the SNES but unlike the SNES, it had poor support as did the gamecube... you saying that magically all the developers are going to make as many titles for the revolution as they did for the PS2? Sorry but thats just stupid hope...

And yes, Zelda is very childish. Sure adults (myself included) can enjoy it but its not a titles that many would consider adult or even mature. Theres not even a love theme within the game...

I would love to see the list of developers signed up for Revolution, If its even half of what Sony has (250 in Japan alone) I would be suprised...

PikachuMan
12-31-05, 12:02 PM
Who cares about first party titles? You use that as a defense all the time and its a poor one. You cannot win a console war with first party titles only, the N64 and Gamecube have shown this. Sony has proven that to win the console war you NEED strong 3rd party support.

Sure some companies are saying they are interested but how many are going to actually support it? Look at the N64, it was the system that followed the SNES but unlike the SNES, it had poor support as did the gamecube... you saying that magically all the developers are going to make as many titles for the revolution as they did for the PS2? Sorry but thats just stupid hope...

It's a waste of time comparing games likes that for this generation. The revolution allows for an entirely different way of playing games, it's not going to produce the head-on-head battle for third-party support as we saw in the PS2 era. The revolution's games cannot be replicated if you get one of the other consoles. Even with less third-party support, the revolution can still have a healthy number of stand-out titles to support it, thanks to the uniqueness of the console itself. Don't get me wrong, third parties are valuable, but they're hardly make-or-break as it was for the N64 or PS2.

|MaguS|
12-31-05, 12:41 PM
It's a waste of time comparing games likes that for this generation. The revolution allows for an entirely different way of playing games, it's not going to produce the head-on-head battle for third-party support as we saw in the PS2 era. The revolution's games cannot be replicated if you get one of the other consoles. Even with less third-party support, the revolution can still have a healthy number of stand-out titles to support it, thanks to the uniqueness of the console itself. Don't get me wrong, third parties are valuable, but they're hardly make-or-break as it was for the N64 or PS2.

Do you honestly think that EVERY revolution game will use the motion sensor? They made an adapter for a joystick for a reason. Plus they still will need great 3rd party support like every other console, it is a head to head battle even if you thick headed nintendo fans try to deny it. Again, you NEEED 3rd parties...Nintendo cannot create enough original titles (do they make any now?) to keep a console alive. Why do you think the DS and GBA are so successful? They have great 3rd party support.

As for them not being replicated, thats false... they can easily be ported to the PS3 with use of the Eyetoy which is far superior to the Revolution controller thanks to its ability to judge depth.

Zelda_fan
12-31-05, 02:12 PM
LOL do you work for sony or something?

Read some articles on revolution.ign.com 3rd parties are not only backing the revolution, but are saying they will develope games that will take advantage of revolutions controller.

Here is a quote from EA the biggest 3rd party ever. "It's a brilliant controller, and as usual we can credit Nintendo with being innovative and neat and fresh and fun. They continue to pioneer in our industry…they make some of the best games in the industry…and we look forward to partnering with them."

And I bet 90% of the games will use the motion sensor controller. It is going to be a lot bigger that you are giving it credit for. And the EyeToy is a piece of crap compared to the revolution controller and you know it. The EyeToy is similar to one of those crappy things they have at science musems while the revolution controller is really tight. And news flash, the revolution controller can judge depth too.