PDA

View Full Version : Doubling Ram

seeker
12-30-05, 08:09 PM
My motherboard has 4 ram slots of which 2 are now in use, in dual channel function. I'm considering buying 2 more sticks for the other 2 slots, but I have already learned that it can be pretty picky about matching exact sticks to enable the dual function. What I'm not sure about, is whether this set of slots must also match the previous, or if this is only a factor on each side? For instance, I see a sale on a better quality ram brand and cas, but if I buy these, will the system care?

jAkUp
12-30-05, 08:10 PM
It doesn't have to, but keep in mind you will move to 2T timings. (as superklye would say, only if you have double sided memory though ;))

superklye
12-30-05, 08:14 PM
It doesn't have to, but keep in mind you will move to 2T timings. (as superklye would say, only if you have double sided memory though ;))
HEY! I'm just trying to keep you from misrepresenting the truth, damn it!

Roadhog
12-30-05, 08:14 PM
How do you tell if you have double sided memory? Does that have to do with the chips being on both sides? Just wondering.

superklye
12-30-05, 08:24 PM
How do you tell if you have double sided memory? Does that have to do with the chips being on both sides? Just wondering.
Yes, that's exactly it.

seeker
12-30-05, 08:57 PM
I'm not too good with the jargon. 2T timing means what?

newls1
12-30-05, 09:58 PM
from what i've READ, all 2T means is a little lose of memory performance, but actual game play should be the same. 2T timings show a lose only in benchmarks, games will be the same. But like I said, I've only read this, I've never had 4 sticks in an AMD system before.

superklye
12-30-05, 10:01 PM
from what i've READ, all 2T means is a little lose of memory performance, but actual game play should be the same. 2T timings show a lose only in benchmarks, games will be the same. But like I said, I've only read this, I've never had 4 sticks in an AMD system before.
No, the difference between CL2 and CL3 is pretty much non-existant. 1T > 2T is significant.

I think jAk knows more about it, but I remember somewhere hearing about 10% or more reduction in performance, depending on other factors as well.

seeker
12-30-05, 10:05 PM
I've been Googling a bit, to try to understand T2. I get the impression that this means that instead of DDR 400, that it would drop to DDR 333, which I believe was true with my old motherboard. But in a discussion elsewhere here on this forum, someone advised me that this was effecting my old 3200+ Winchester, and that my new 3500+ Venice should not have this problem, due to better memory management...was this true?

Roadhog
12-30-05, 10:07 PM
does this affect intel chipsets?

superklye
12-30-05, 10:08 PM
2T has nothing to do with the memory frequency. My memory is running at 208MHz and is in 2T. It's just looser timings allowing the RAM more overhead to overclock.

seeker
12-30-05, 10:14 PM
I'm still trying to get a handle on this, without the jargon, would I benefit from adding the ram or not. I realize that it would have a greater capacity, but that is not an issue for me. I'm thinking strictly in terms of performance running apps of various kinds. For me, It's not worth the money, just to increase the capacity.

seeker
12-31-05, 02:37 AM
Thread subscription.