PDA

View Full Version : BIOS Run Slowdown

seeker
12-30-05, 07:14 PM
I have found that the Bios run slows down significantly while detecting IDE devices when I plug in my WDC IDE harddrive. Is this a motherboard or harddrive problem? I do have the drivers installed from off the installation disk and I do not think that there is an update available. Is there anything else that I can do to remedy the problem? I was considering buying another IDE drive, but if the problem is in the motherboard, then I would not want to live with this problem.

seeker
12-31-05, 01:38 AM
Thread subscription.

bugmage
12-31-05, 08:21 AM
see if the manufacturer of the mobo has a forum and drop this in there

seeker
12-31-05, 10:12 PM
It appears that Gigabyte has no forum, at least not on their own website. I've found other forums, but I tend to post where I have a degree of confidence in the membership. I have always gotten pretty good advice here. However, I may post this elsewhere if necessary.

I have been poking around on the Gigabyte tech support pages, and I found what appears to be an update for the BIOS, but that is something that I have never messed with before, and am a bit cautious. It's probably silly questions, but they number the BIOSES by a revision #, mine is given as F6, and there is an F7 available that says that it deals with updating the DMI pool. First off, I'm not certain that F7 is an update to F6, or if it's just another version, for a different board...I suspect the former. If it is the right BIOS, the IDE detection slowdown is on a page previous to the listing of the DMI pool, so I don't know if it would help or not. I do not like the idea of flashing a bios unless it's absolutely necessary. I wish I had known when I bought this board, that they had a board with a dual bios available, basically the same board as mine with an extra chip. The socket location is marked on the board, but I don't know if it's possible to add the chip now or not.

seeker
01-03-06, 10:01 PM
I solved this problem, I just had to set the IDE as slave instead of master.