PDA

View Full Version : Networking with a 360 via a Hub?

lmetza
12-30-05, 09:54 PM
Ok i would like to know if i can use a Hub to network with my xbox 360? My ISP allows 2 ip's to connect through 1 modem and i only have 1 pc so theres still room for the 360. Since routers are more pricey and from what ive sen can be trouble when it comes time to play games online / transfer files. Will i be able to stream files to my 360 still if i use a Hub or do i need to install a ethernet card into my pc and network it directly to my pc? I plan to go pick up an ethernet card or a Hub come next week but im unsure which would be best.

evilchris
12-31-05, 11:11 AM
Get a switch instead. Xbox live would suck with local collisions.

PSYCHODAD
12-31-05, 11:45 AM
Our 360 is connected thru a network hub and live plays fine. Live does seem to eat up most of the bandwidth tho, as internet usage on any of the networked computers will definitely degrade Live performance.

lmetza
12-31-05, 12:18 PM
Since ille only be playing on 1 at a time, other then the occasional bittorrent download, looks like a hub will do me fine.
If i still had my nforce 2 board in my system i wouldent have this problem, i think dual LAN's on motherboards should be like a standard, since i found it much easier to network thats way when a friend comes over with his laptop, much easier then useing a router which usualy ends up messing with my internet because of its damn crappy firewall that ends up limiting speed, and causing headaches when creating servers. I honestly hate routers with a passion, until they make them so they work flawless and dont mess with an internet connection in the ways ive experienced (without needing to turn off options manually).

Banko
12-31-05, 01:38 PM
I would strongly suggest buying switches, most retailers don't even sell hubs anymore.