PDA

View Full Version : How well do Creative's Xi-Fi sound cards work with NV MB's?

jpinard
12-31-05, 04:43 AM
I've seen a lot of angry fires brewing over in the Creative Labs forums about people having massive problems with NForce4 motherboards and the new XiFi sound cards by Creative Labs.

So I thought I'd come here and see how people are doing with it. If you do or don't have issues can't you say how you like it/dislike it?

Thanks!

AthlonXP1800
12-31-05, 05:10 AM
I am not vote yet as I was ordered a Creative X-Fi card for 65 today, should arrive next week. You saying here are lots of angry people having problem with X-Fi cards on Nforce4 mobos at Creative Labs forum? That funny cos I was visited Creative Labs forum on Thursday 2 days ago to looked around to see if any people still have problems with X-Fi cards as here were none so I decided to order a X-Fi card.

Here are some people on NvNews forum like JakUP has X-Fi card on NForce4 mobo, I dont think he have any issue with it.

jpinard
12-31-05, 05:18 AM
Oh yes, I've been covering the CL forums for the past month and there are lots of problems. Are you sure you were at the right one? This is it, and it's LOADED. http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board?board.id=soundblaster

Please come back to this thread and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

AthlonXP1800
12-31-05, 05:52 AM
Hmmm I read that if you have the X-Fi card revision D or later that didnt experienced cracking and pop sounds occured in revision A to C in October batch shipment. I dont think I will have issues cos I ordered it today, it should come from new December batch shipment.

newls1
12-31-05, 08:02 AM
HERE I HOPE THIS HELP YOU GUYS OUT! I have had 3 different XF_I cards from the fatal1ty, platnium, and xtreme music, and ALL of them would lock my PC at the POST screen! Talking with creative's 3rd level of advanced support, they did start shipping the new cards with the UPDATED FIRMWARE to fix the NF4 bug WEEKS ago, so in order to make sure you get a card that will give you 100% compatiblity here is what you have to do: On the retail box, flip the box over and read the serial number (right below the model #) it will have something like 16 or 17 digits (I THINK) what you need to check is the 9th, 10th, & 11th digits and add them up. If they = a number greater then 541 your good to go. My 3 cards were 538/524/536 and none of them worked. My last platinum was 548 and worked great! Hope this helps you guys, as it seems that not alot of people know this.

OWA
12-31-05, 09:46 AM
I voted works perfect with the nforce4 but I need to qualify that. I've used the X-Fi Xtreme Music and X-Fi Fatality with the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium and both work(ed) perfectly. With the Abit Fatality A8N-SLI motherboard and the X-Fi Xtreme Music card, I had to flash the motherboard to the latest bios before things worked. Before I did that, I'd get a BSOD during the boot process. After flashing to the latest bios, things are working perfectly. Also, I bought the Xtreme Music and Fatality X-Fi cards as soon as they were available locally so I probably have some of the earlier revisions (if that matters).

superklye
12-31-05, 11:04 AM
Apart from not booting when the CPU frequency was at 250 and having to set it back to 249, I've had no problems with my X-Fi at all...this card is AMAZING.

CaptNKILL
12-31-05, 11:25 AM
Mine has been amazing... not a single problem, and the sound quality is FANTASTIC. The crystalizer set high + Logitech Z5500 speakers = an orgasm for the ears :p

Tym
01-01-06, 11:13 AM
The card works perfectly when I use a single GPU, and I have to say that the sound quality, positioning, etc. are brilliant. However, with graphics cards in SLI mode, I get crackling and popping in every game... Still haven't found a solution to that.

Saibot
01-01-06, 11:56 AM
Mine has worked perfectly right from the start.

Roch
01-01-06, 12:34 PM
Absolutely perfect with nf4 and SLI, lovely card, very glad I bought it.

jpinard
01-02-06, 04:31 AM
So I picked up a card at Best Buy, and it is revision "C". I have not opened the box yet (note - it was the last one on Best Buy's shelves)... what should I do?

CaptNKILL
01-02-06, 10:14 AM
Wow I didnt realize x-fi+nforce 3 was such a rare combination... maybe its because the sound card costs about $30 more than my motherboard :o

Limitless
01-08-06, 09:24 AM
XiFi Elite Pro, Logitech Z-5500 THX speakers, Monster Z3 speaker cables,
ATI X850XT video card, Soyo mobo,3.02 Ghz CPU, Dell 2405 FPW
Widescreen HD Monitor, Monster Reference Ultra DVI cable, secondary sound card External RME Fireface 800, Sata 200 gig 10,000 rpm hard drive,
one LaCie 1 Terabyte firewire 800 7,200 rpm external drive. I have to have
nothing but the best, seconds will not do!

jpinard
01-09-06, 03:34 AM
XiFi Elite Pro, Logitech Z-5500 THX speakers, Monster Z3 speaker cables,
ATI X850XT video card, Soyo mobo,3.02 Ghz CPU, Dell 2405 FPW
Widescreen HD Monitor, Monster Reference Ultra DVI cable, secondary sound card External RME Fireface 800, Sata 200 gig 10,000 rpm hard drive,
one LaCie 1 Terabyte firewire 800 7,200 rpm external drive. I have to have
nothing but the best, seconds will not do!

Huh? Confusing post, since the best video card is not the X850XT, and a 3.02 Gig Intel Processor is really crappy compared to an AMD's competeitve chips...

TierMann
01-09-06, 03:52 AM
There's no firmware update available to update to revision D?

Anyway, since you have a revision C and probably a reciept you can try it out and if you have problems then you can always return it, right? I think they have a 14 day return policy. I forget. But after that you're stuck mailing it back to creative on warranty so they can update the firmware themselves and send it back I guess.

Dazz
01-09-06, 04:16 AM
I was one of the first people to get a X-Fi Fatality and it worked pefectly on my ASUS A8N SLi Premium also although i always flash my BIOS to the lates. Creative says you should do that but for people thats can't or have an OEM then an updated firmware for the sound card is just as good.

jpinard
01-09-06, 05:25 AM
No I, believe between revisions they shaved chips (I could be wrong though)

AthlonXP1800
01-24-06, 02:11 AM
I got Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic installed last week, 1 week on, I had no issues with the new card, the card number is 568 and came with the heatsink. I found the sound quality of X-Fi amazing that I didnt heard on Audigy.