PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Cooling Solution for XB360

jAkUp
12-31-05, 01:24 PM
http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4227

Toss3
12-31-05, 01:37 PM
http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4227
I don't know about you, but I think this seems a bit over the top; I know the xbox360 is noisy and everything but is watercooling really the answer? You could just change the fans or something... I still think that watercooling could be cool if you were able to overclock your xbox360 ^^(not happy with the quake4 demo performance) and futuremark should develop a benchmarking tool for consoles so this "my console is better than your console" feud would end! But happy new year to everyone and especially to you jakup for bringing the news to nvnews! (cheers)

BioHazZarD
12-31-05, 02:39 PM
Bit overkill i have mine on now for 5 hours and its getting warm but sure its normal and the dvd aint that noisy what most people whine although they could have faulty xbox i speak for myself when i say the heat woes is just nothing to worry about as long as you dont hide the box in a closer or something.

msxyz
01-01-06, 03:46 AM
My Xbox works fine now, in winter , with a room temperature of 21-22°

But considering how hot is the air coming from within, I'm really afraid to discover how it will work when the temperature will rise to 28-30° in summer.

Edge
01-01-06, 08:40 AM
Technically, the Xbox 360 is already liquid cooled. It seems odd they would add this liquid cooling system onto the existing one, since it would seem to make more sense that they'd refine their current system and make it more efficient rather than, well, slapping a huge fan on the side. Besides, in most cases it seems the powerbrick is overheating, not the console itself, so if anything they should just encase that thing in a liquid shell and be done with it.

msxyz
01-01-06, 09:33 AM
I've heard as well about the supposed overheating of the power supply unit.

But my Xbox power supply is barely warm at touch, thus I find hard to believe that is the source of the problems unless it has some manufacturing defects.

LiquidX
01-01-06, 10:58 AM
I dont think its gets that hot to need liquid cooling but its louder than my gaming system which I hate. Does anyone know if its the drive that so loud or the system fans? It doesnt seem to get loud when a demo is being played.

nV`andrew
01-01-06, 12:16 PM
I dont think its gets that hot to need liquid cooling but its louder than my gaming system which I hate. Does anyone know if its the drive that so loud or the system fans? It doesnt seem to get loud when a demo is being played.

On mine, it sounds like the 2 60mm fans..they shouldve tried to mod a single 80mm instead...mine is loud as well

lmetza
01-01-06, 02:47 PM
I managed to get a good cooling system up for my 360 that didnt cost be 1 penny. Since i live up north in the rockies and its its below freezing outside, i cracked open the window that is directly behind the 360. The power brick is right next to it so all the cold air coming in from outside (about -15c) is keeping my 360 cold while i play, it used to get a little warm on the back but it dont anymore since i opened the window. I figgure ille do this as long as its winter and it doesnt rain through the window, the screen stops any snow so no moisture gets in, just ice cold frigid air. Even the power brick is ice cold to the touch.

If you live where its cold and have your 360 setup by a window like me, this is very effective way if you dont mind your room being a little cooler. Cant argue with -15c air flowing over the console, it definetly works.

But hey i though of this solution while i was baked out of my mind, probably others figgured it out long before me.

Marvel_us
01-04-06, 09:59 AM
HardOCP has a full guide on how to watercool the 360 as well. Seems to produce great results.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTM5

evilchris
01-04-06, 10:57 AM
My power brick barely even gets warm when my house is 75 degrees F. Neither does my X360. It's noisy, however.

ENU291
01-04-06, 12:54 PM
The loud sounds you hear don't seem to be coming from the fans. I believe it is coming from the DVD-ROM drive. Running fully functional game demos of Quake 4, NFS:MW, Kameo etc for hours does not cause the exhaust fans to spin up to the point that they cause a noticably loud sound. The only time that a loud whirlling sound is emitted from the 360 is when I play games off the DVD-ROM.