PDA

View Full Version : Best Volume Setting for Subwoofer?

DXnfiniteFX
01-13-03, 05:44 PM
OK, this is going to be a simple post. I enjoy watching movies, be it on my HDTV, PC, etc. Sound is one of the most critical elements in movies, especially action. What I want to know is what volume my subwoofer should be set to?

I need to know the exact volume the subwoofer is best for. A volume too high will shake and quake my living room. A volume too low and well, no bass in a movie sucks.

Let me get to the point:

What is the optimal volume for the subwoofer to hear things the way it was meant to be heard by the filmmaker? My subwoofer has a "gain" setting and I would like to know how much volume it should be pumping. Not too strong or soft, just the amount the filmmaker wanted it to be heard. I need an answer in % please. 80%, 100%, etc.

Thanks in advance. Bass is good, but too much and I get fatigued by it all. I want the original amount of sound the director intended.

madthumbs
01-13-03, 09:53 PM
Lol... depends on the speaker/ sub/ soundcard/ software/ etc. I have mine set to the lowest settings.. does that help?

FastM
01-13-03, 10:07 PM
Like madthumbs said, it really depends on how powerfull your Sub is compared to the rest of your stereo.

For me? i like around 40 - 45% Volume.

NeoGeo
01-14-03, 06:37 PM
its down to personal preference!! If you like it bassy pump up the volume, but the idea is to get a nice balance. No one on here can dictate whats best for you, just see what you like!!

I personally dont have a sub, I have speakers with bass in the first place ;) saves me making decisions like that!

Kain
01-17-03, 05:12 AM
I have mine at 100% volume and it is still no where near enough for me, LOL. :p

Kruno
01-17-03, 06:27 AM
50% is optimal for me, anything over that the house starts to shake.

I have a pair of Altec Lansing speakers and a sub (also Altec Lansing).
I can't fit any more than 2 speakers.

Jan Kivar
01-18-03, 12:34 PM
Are we speaking about computer speakers or Hi-Fi stuff? This is mostly for Hi-Fi gear:

Buy a test CD that has some good test tones and get a SPL meter.

Or take some old rock album (early '90s, new should be good too, depends on the mixing), like Scorpions, turn the high cut-off freq. to about 100 Hz, and tune the volume so the sub doesn't ruin the stereo image. Then adjust the high cut-off freq. and volume until You get it right. This could take several hours. During this listen some other albums, just to check that You're not "re-mastering" the one album for your system.

The main point is: Tune the volume so the sub doesn't ruin the stereo image. In other words, You can't tell clearly where the sub is placed (=not too loud).

Cheers,

Jan