PDA

View Full Version : Cooling options for GTX SLI?

SquireSCA
12-31-05, 11:35 PM
System is running great, but I sometimes get heat artifacts in some games after about 30 minutes. And I get them at stock speeds on the video cards.

Everything is clean, no dust buildups and the case cooling is very good. Lots of flow and circulation.

Now, with a single card I would be using an Arctic Cooling NVSilencer, but I do not see how that would work with GTX cards in SLI.

I love the NVSilencers because they cool well and dump the heat outside of the case.

Any idears?

Rytr
01-01-06, 12:11 AM
I am not sure about your motherboard but the Arctic Coolers do work on some motherboards in an SLI setup. You would just have to measure to ensure adequate clearance.

OxfordDon
01-01-06, 09:12 AM
Originally I had Arctic coolers on my 7800s, and they do fit, no problem. As you can see from my sig I have the same mobo as you do. I have now gone on to watercooling with the Exos 2, and if you can afford it, I would wholeheartedly recommend that. You will certainly not have any heat issues then!

BrianG
01-01-06, 09:15 AM
Originally I had Arctic coolers on my 7800s, and they do fit, no problem. As you can see from my sig I have the same mobo as you do. I have now gone on to watercooling with the Exos 2, and if you can afford it, I would wholeheartedly recommend that. You will certainly not have any heat issues then!
No, you don't. He has the Abit AN8. It does not have the extra slot between GPUs the Asus SLI boards have.

Roch
01-01-06, 09:15 AM
I've stuck an Akasa Amber 120mm fan next to them, it's worked a treat and cost 9.

BrianG
01-01-06, 09:22 AM
Squire, you could try the Zalman VF700 coolers. If possible, add a fan to the side forcing more air across the two slots. It doesn't take much to get solid results.

OxfordDon
01-01-06, 09:52 AM
No, you don't. He has the Abit AN8. It does not have the extra slot between GPUs the Asus SLI boards have.
Ah yes, sorry, hangover getting in the way (rudolf)

SquireSCA
01-01-06, 10:55 PM
I tried to install one and it was no good. The fan hub hits the other card so that the fan will not spin.

It looks like I would have to get a different mobo to use these coolers, perhaps the new Asus A8N32-SLI board...

jAkUp
01-01-06, 11:13 PM
Yes, the on the Abit board it will not fit. The DFI eXpert board, and the Asus boards are the only mobos with dual slots inbetween the cards.

The best you can get for the GTX's that will fit in a single slot is the Zalman VF-700's

SquireSCA
01-02-06, 12:10 AM
One thing that I want to try is making sure the stock fans are spinning at 100% under load. I don't think that they are.

They are louder when the system boots, and then as it goes into Windows they slow down, and during gameplay I do not hear them go back to full speed.

How can I make sure that they are spinning at full speed? What app can I use to force them to spin up?

hemmy
01-02-06, 10:11 AM
put your ear next to them with the case panel off? my 6800 at lowest speeds is louder than all of my case fan

snowmanwithahat
01-02-06, 12:46 PM
Squire, you could try the Zalman VF700 coolers. If possible, add a fan to the side forcing more air across the two slots. It doesn't take much to get solid results.

that'd be my suggestion

radekhulan
01-02-06, 12:52 PM
System is running great, but I sometimes get heat artifacts in some games after about 30 minutes. And I get them at stock speeds on the video cards.

Everything is clean, no dust buildups and the case cooling is very good. Lots of flow and circulation.

Now, with a single card I would be using an Arctic Cooling NVSilencer, but I do not see how that would work with GTX cards in SLI.

I love the NVSilencers because they cool well and dump the heat outside of the case.

Any idears?

Artic Cooling NV Silencer Rev.3 is the best choice, as it blows air outside the case. I tried 2 Zalman VF700-Cu as well, and they were much inferior for SLI solutions.

2 NV5 in action: http://hulan.cz/temp/sestava.jpg

I am able to overclock 2x NVIDIA 7800GTX SLI @ 520/1400 MHz, rock stable for hours of play...

radekhulan
01-02-06, 12:54 PM
//edit: But you must get Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Asus A8N32-SLI or DFI Expert board, with enough place to squeeze those two coolers.