PDA

View Full Version : What do you like dislike about the XBox 360?

Pages : [1] 2

LiquidX
01-01-06, 01:44 PM
Well I have been playing mine for over a week now and I must say I am more impressed than I thought I would be. My likes and dislikes.(mikec)

Likes!!

System, design and color - At first did not like the looks of the 360 at all and thought white with the tacky chrome was way off base. But having it close up I must say it has a beautiful design and the chrome makes it look very elegent if not high-end. I dont have anything that really it matches besides my Dreamcast on top of it it but at the same time it doesnt clash and look out of place at all. Its very sleek when lying down and a little more than contemporary. AV enthusiasts I think will enjoy having this among there pricey setups.

Wireless Controller - This is heaven. The wireless controller as exceeded my expectations. It feels great and it has a very long range (I was able to turn it from about 50 feet in another room through a wall). It's also great that you can use it to turn the XBox 360 on and off and the battery life is not bad at all.

Market Place and Live - I did not care for Live at all on the previous XBox even though I thought it was well done but Live so for on the 360 is more than worth it IMO and I will be extending it to 1-year gold. Also we has PC owners are use to downloading a demo with ease right after its release but this was not the case with a console where we either had to subscribe to some magazine or buy them. The 360 changes all of that being that you can now download demos directly to the system. This is especially helpful for console users being that games cost more and stay at a premium longer. There is also alot of other things such as classic arcade games, trailers and even custom themes. I love this feature as it has already saved me $60 because after playing the Condemed demo I decided not to pick it up.(xmasgrin)

PC Monitor support- Right now I have the 360 connected to my 22" monitor which is great being that I can still get HD quality graphics while waiting for a price drop on HDTV's or the release of new models.

Interface Customization - Its kind of like using window blinds to change the look of your desktop. I love this feature even though its not such a big deal. You can put pictures aswell as a custom wallpaper as a background which is a great touch.

DVD Playback - Some people dont think the quality is that great and also think it stresses the system but I dont think this is the case. I actually like the playback quality and the audio output through optical is great.

Dislikes!!

Noise - When playing DVD's, demos and any other hard drive content its very quite but when playing a game its way to loud which is kind of a problem for me being that I play late at night when someone else is sleeping and I have to keep things down.

Streaming - Besides being able to save wallpapers from my PC as a background I find it worthless. They really should have made it possible to transfer files instead of just streaming them. For camara, Ipod or other MP3 users though this might be a welcome feature.

________
So for those are my likes and dislikes. Although a big time console gamer, the 360 early on was not impressing me at all and it even lost me as a day one buyer which was a first since I have bought every system since Sega Genesis on day one but after some time with it all reservations have gone away. PGR3, Kameo and RR6 have been a joy to play and and games that are cross platform like COD2 and NFS: MW (which I prefer on the 360) are just as impressive as they are on a high spec setup. I have not really gamed on my PC since and I may sell it and rebuild once powerhouse titles like UT07 are about to be released.(xmasmile)

KilrB
01-01-06, 03:32 PM
You really nailed it all IMO.

Noise is really my only complaint. I love the marketplace and downloading demos and such.

My only complaint on the market place is having to pay $1 or so for avatars and wallpaper. Some of it is worth the money, by most of it is utter crap. The only reason 99% of it would be worth the time to download it were if it were free

Treason
01-01-06, 05:02 PM
The only thing I don't like is that there isn't a Microsoft splash screen in the beginning just after you power the 360 on. I would like the general populace to acknowledge the mother coporation the blessing it has bestowed upon us.

(cheers)

Toss3
01-01-06, 05:17 PM
I dislike: 1) You have to pay for updates 2) and for very old games(smash TV etc.) 3)you have to pay to play online on weekdays 4)teamkilling shouldn't be allowed(mostly in PDZ, and what I mean is that teamkillers should be punished harder) 5) most of the pre-rendered gamevideos stutter? 6) it should have more usb ports so that you would be able to connect a keyboard and mouse(I know it's a console, but the ps3 will have keyboard support) 7) Games are expensive! , well I had to get that off my chest... (snowman)
I like: 1) The design of the console 2) The wireless controllers 3) That it is easy to use 4) The achievement system 5) Free demos 6) Long RJ45 cable! 7) That you don't have to buy the harddrive and such separately(ps2)

nV`andrew
01-01-06, 06:14 PM
yes the noise is almost as loud as my dell, which is LOUD...

Toss3
01-01-06, 06:54 PM
Btw Is there any way to get a web browser for the xbox360? (xmasgrin)

six_storm
01-01-06, 07:46 PM
Btw Is there any way to get a web browser for the xbox360? (xmasgrin)

I'm sure that will come down the road a bit. Remember, a "web-cam" accessory is in the works for Spring 06, so . . . woo hoo. I do have to complain about the noise of the 360 and that's really about it. I can't wait to grab the VGA cable tomorrow and really play PGR3 in Hi-Def. w00t!

GamerGuyX
01-01-06, 09:57 PM
To be honest the noise level is what really surprised me about the 360. Not in the way all of you are thinking mind you. I think it's pretty damn quiet.

evilchris
01-01-06, 11:50 PM
I pretty much like everything about it other than the noise factor when games are running. I also think the DVD playback is piss poor but then again my reference is a Denon.

Mr. Hunt
01-01-06, 11:53 PM
I pretty much like everything about it other than the noise factor when games are running. I also think the DVD playback is piss poor but then again my reference is a Denon.

You just GOTTA mention your little Denon don't you? :(... I see you mention it so many times... MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! I FEEL LIKE CRAP BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE ONE!@#

msxyz
01-02-06, 02:34 AM
Dislike ?

Uhm...
Color: I don't like white CE, not even in my kitchen :P
Gamer Profile thing: I don't like the idea of a centralized profile management.
Small memory cards: Ok, there's the hard-disk, but how I'm supposed to move my content around ?

Slyder
01-02-06, 03:36 AM
5) most of the pre-rendered gamevideos stutter? !

I thought this was just my 360 that was up the duff. :eek: Is this a known problem then ? I noticed this when watching the first fmv in PD:Zero and on the 2k sports logo on Amped 3

My N64 did not stutter like this.... (mikec)

PeterJensen
01-02-06, 03:58 AM
Whats not to like? :D

Toss3
01-02-06, 05:11 AM
I thought this was just my 360 that was up the duff. :eek: Is this a known problem then ? I noticed this when watching the first fmv in PD:Zero and on the 2k sports logo on Amped 3

My N64 did not stutter like this.... (mikec)
I don't know, but what I do know is that the videos don't stutter on my ps2 or Xbox games! :( I have to do a little checkup to see if anyone else has got the problem...

EDIT: Hmm, seems like others are having the exact same problem, but it seems to be game specific(PDZ at least and PGR3?)

Edge
01-02-06, 06:26 AM
I dislike: 1) You have to pay for updates 2) and for very old games(smash TV etc.) 3)you have to pay to play online on weekdays 4)teamkilling shouldn't be allowed(mostly in PDZ, and what I mean is that teamkillers should be punished harder) 5) most of the pre-rendered gamevideos stutter?
Err, some of these seem a bit off. Updates/patches are always free, the pay subscription is so that you can play online ANY time instead of just "special weekends", and teamkilling is almost always left as an option, and you're free to leave bad feedback to teamkillers (which will cause the Optimatch system to avoid putting you on servers that the person is on, or at the least put you on the opposite team from them).

Also, what games have pre-rendered videos that stutter? If you're talking about Xbox 1 games, then it's just because the emulation for games is pretty slow at this point, so it's more of a general problem with the emulator than it is the videos. Right now my #1 complaint about the Xbox 360 from what I've played is the issues with backwards compatability. Mostly from a lack of speed but also because a large majority of the games I want to play on it aren't supported yet.

Toss3
01-02-06, 07:05 AM
Err, some of these seem a bit off. Updates/patches are always free, the pay subscription is so that you can play online ANY time instead of just "special weekends", and teamkilling is almost always left as an option, and you're free to leave bad feedback to teamkillers (which will cause the Optimatch system to avoid putting you on servers that the person is on, or at the least put you on the opposite team from them).

Also, what games have pre-rendered videos that stutter? If you're talking about Xbox 1 games, then it's just because the emulation for games is pretty slow at this point, so it's more of a general problem with the emulator than it is the videos. Right now my #1 complaint about the Xbox 360 from what I've played is the issues with backwards compatability. Mostly from a lack of speed but also because a large majority of the games I want to play on it aren't supported yet.

Well I read somewhere that you have to pay "points" for game updates and game patches, but maybe I'm wrong... And I know that you can give feedback for teamkillers, but tha doesn't stop them from doing it anyways! And I ws talking about xbox360 games and I'm not the only one getting stutters and it's quite annoying. (snowman)

Mathesar
01-02-06, 07:27 AM
- I wish there was a way to disable autoplay when a game disc is inserted or when you power up with a game in the drive.

- The noise levels are pretty insane on the 360 when the dvd drive is in use,I have my xbox 1 sitting underneath the 360 and the difference in noise levels is pretty huge.

- DVD playback quality isn't very good compared to my Sony DVP-NS725P player, but the Sony has extra video options not found on the 360 (Block noise reduction adjustments ,Digital video enhancer which acts like an Unsharp mask and is adjustable ,sharpness / color / contrast / brightness etc which can be setup with user memory presets, progressive scan mode can be manually changed from film to video or auto mode.. but my 360 DVD playback complaint isnt a big deal really being its more convenient to use the standalone player anyhow.

- I wish the wireless controller batteries & play and charge battery pack would last alittle longer between charges ,in comparison my wavebird batteries on gamecube last much longer, but then again wavebirds dont have Rumble support so of course battery life is going to be longer.

- 360 runs pretty darn warm, Ive had absolutely no lockups / crashes since launch day but we'll see if that trend continues in the summertime when its 110F out here.

Other than these minor complaints I think the 360 is great and have no regrets buying one :thumbsup:

Edge
01-02-06, 09:03 AM
Well I read somewhere that you have to pay "points" for game updates and game patches, but maybe I'm wrong... And I know that you can give feedback for teamkillers, but tha doesn't stop them from doing it anyways! And I ws talking about xbox360 games and I'm not the only one getting stutters and it's quite annoying. (snowman)

Updates/patches are free, but charging for extra content is left to the developer. It's pretty much the same as the original Xbox, where some content is free (Ninja Gaiden Hurricane Packs, Yavin Station for KOTOR), and some of it will cost extra (packs for Mechassault and PGR2). And giving bad feedback can stop TKers, if they recieve enough of it to get them banned from Live ;)

BTW, for those complaining about the DVD playback, how does it compare to the original Xbox's? I found that to be pretty good, as long as it's not as bad as the PS2's I'll be fine with it.

|MaguS|
01-02-06, 09:41 AM
1) My original died and had to wait over a month to recieve my replacment.
2) System is LOUD, It's fighting with my Pc for top noise level.
3) Ugly as hell, Sure you can change the face plate but the rest of teh system then doest match and just looks stupid. It looks too much like a toy which doesnt blend in very well.
4) Ability to stream videos from my PC would have been awsome, I would love to be able to watch my fansubs on it...
5) Did I mention that its LOUD?

I don't use it for DVD playback, but from what I have seen its better then the xbox by a large margin since the original xbox did not support Progressive scan on dvds. The PS2 is better then the original xbox...

six_storm
01-02-06, 10:47 AM
- I wish there was a way to disable autoplay when a game disc is inserted or when you power up with a game in the drive.

Totally agreed. I was going to do something in the dashboard while inserting a DVD and it went ahead and played the DVD. AHh! The DVD playback seems just fine in my 360, from what I can tell. I just want some other games, that's all.

Toss3
01-02-06, 10:52 AM
1)4) Ability to stream videos from my PC would have been awsome, I would love to be able to watch my fansubs on it...

I read somewhere that you will be able to stream videos to your xbox360 with Windows Vista! ;)

Edge
01-02-06, 11:37 AM
I don't use it for DVD playback, but from what I have seen its better then the xbox by a large margin since the original xbox did not support Progressive scan on dvds. The PS2 is better then the original xbox...
Ugh, the PS2 player was TERRIBLE at first. Slow, compatability problems, and didn't support progressive scan. The updated version of the DVD player that came out after 2003/2004 was a decent amount better, but it still had slower access speed than the Xbox player (it did support progressive scan, however).

I read somewhere that you will be able to stream videos to your xbox360 with Windows Vista! ;)
You can already do that if you have Windows XP Media Center Edition. Otherwise pictures and audio can be streamed using Windows Media Connect. Vista sounds like it will have all the functionality of XP MCE, so the Xbox 360 should also let you stream videos from that.

Oh, and for the autoplay issue, could you just leave the tray open while you work on whatever, and then close it with the controller when you're done doing whatever you need with the dashboard?

six_storm
01-03-06, 12:02 AM
One thing I just really noticed. I like the fact that you can download movie trailors and demos, pretty awesome idea if you ask me. But the download times are just horrible. It took me 45 minutes to d/l a 720p trailor for PDZ!

I don't mind waiting a little bit . . . but here's the other thing. You can't look around while downloading something. You're basically stuck!!!! How crap is that?

Mr. Hunt
01-03-06, 12:06 AM
Dislikes:

Launch games
I don't have one

kev13dd
01-03-06, 12:58 AM
Dislikes:

Launch games
I don't have one

I agree except for the launch games one

K