PDA

View Full Version : Coming back to Nvidia - need help choosing card!

Flavius
01-02-06, 02:36 AM
I'm sick and tired of terrible sub-20 FPS dips at 1024x768 at 2XAA and HQ with my ATI X800XT card in Quake 4. I'm convinced it is due to the shadows, as disabling them gives me 60FPS constant!!

Sooo.... I've decided to switch to Nvidia again so the shadows don't kill me!
But, I'm not sure what to get... it has to be AGP, under $300, and 6800 series. Do I go with the GT? The Ultra? The GS? Basically, I need a steady 50 or more FPS with NO dips on my P4 3.0GHz HT 1GB @ 800MHz D875PBZ rig when running 1024X768XHQX2XAA and shadows enabled. Is that too much to ask?! And what manufacturer? I've liked Leadtek before, are they still the best? Or is BFG better? Or?

On a related note, have they, with the 6800, fixed the weird "flicker" problem a bunch of people were having with the 5900 series a few years ago? I remember them releasing beta drivers to fix it.

Thanks for any advice!!

Flavius
01-02-06, 02:58 AM
Would this be good?

eVGA GeForce 6800 GS 256MB DDR3/8x-AGP/TV-Out/DVI (Retail Box) (ETA 1/16) for $215??

The GT cards in AGP form I can't find cheaper than $350?!? Help!

Infinity666
01-02-06, 03:16 AM
The GS is about the best bang for your buck card at the moment and gives almost identical performance as the gt

DSC
01-02-06, 06:37 AM
6800GS AGP(350MHz core) is your best choice I guess, but it's a lot slower than the PCIe version(425MHz core). Or you can find a 6800GT for under $300, then it's better than the GS AGP.

john19055
01-02-06, 09:32 AM
A6800 ultra would be good if you can find one that not shy high ,if not I would wait for the 6800GS it is showing to be a great card.

Kojiro
01-02-06, 10:29 AM
It may not be GPU. It could be CPU usage (even if you have the fastest CPU, unles you disable all the usless processes, you will not get 100% CPU performance in games. It could be RAM: Most games now days take 2 GB of RAM. And finaly computer mantainence: If your computer takes a long time to load windows and/or there is long lag when background processes are loading (this is when you come to the desktop right after the windows splash screen. There is a small lag where you can't click on anything untill everything loads. With freshly installed Windows this will be very fast and may not even be noticable. On a well maintainenced PC it will be a small pause. But on a poorly mantainaced PC it will be slow and feel slugish for a while untill everything is loaded. IF it is slugish right after a cold boot or reboot, then you have to go and do some maintanace work in order to make it run fast again. One of the quickest way to do so is to reinstall windows, but if you must do so on a regular basis, then you have no clue on PC mantainace. (xmastong)

Flavius
01-02-06, 12:00 PM
6800GS AGP(350MHz core) is your best choice I guess, but it's a lot slower than the PCIe version(425MHz core). Or you can find a 6800GT for under $300, then it's better than the GS AGP.

Why would the PCIE version be 75MHz faster for the same chip compared to AGP? That makes no sense.

Flavius
01-02-06, 12:04 PM
What the heck?! The AGP version IS 75MHz slower than the PCIe version of the GS! Why the heck would they do this? That is incredibly lame and means a GT will be my only choice I think.

jAkUp
01-02-06, 12:16 PM
You will get stuttering on any 256MB card when you are running HQ on quake4. Quality looks almost identical and will run much better.

Flavius
01-02-06, 12:24 PM
You will get stuttering on any 256MB card when you are running HQ on quake4. Quality looks almost identical and will run much better.

Did I say ULTRA? No, I said HQ = High Quality. You're thinking Ultra. I am fine on HQ. I tested this on two computers, it's the shadows, that's why I want Nvidia now with their Ultra Shadow II, and it looks like the 6800 GT AGP is my only reasonable choice due to the mysteriously crippled GS AGP. I want the Leadtek version, but it is like finding a needle in a haystack! It's like all these companies only produced 5 cards each. Insane.

jAkUp
01-02-06, 12:36 PM
Whoops sorry, yea well that and the poor opengl performance on ATi cards compared to nV. If you can find a 6800 Ultra that would be even better... but those are rather hard to get a hold of.

hectorsm
01-02-06, 12:51 PM
What the heck?! The AGP version IS 75MHz slower than the PCIe version of the GS! Why the heck would they do this? That is incredibly lame and means a GT will be my only choice I think.

Because they are using the old core (NV40) on the AGP version which does not clock as well as the newer (NV42?) core on the PCI-e version. To use the newer core they would need some kind of bridge chip which would have increased manufacturing cost.