PDA

View Full Version : UT2007 Will Be Launched on PC First & Demo Coming Before Release!!!

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
01-02-06, 12:05 PM
PC first. We're not scheduled to be a ps3 launch title, not certain where those news sites are getting that from. There will be a pre-release demo (on the PC at least).

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508027

Toss3
01-02-06, 12:13 PM
http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508027
well maybe he doesn't know everything?(hoping that he's wrong here:) ) I was really excited for the ps3 release and now it seems like I have to buy a new pc after all... :(

Fotis
01-02-06, 12:18 PM
ETA for the PC version?(cheers)

jAkUp
01-02-06, 12:38 PM
Yea I'm wondering if these 512's are enough for UT2K7 maxed out... And where is the PPU??!!

Edge
01-02-06, 02:05 PM
Yea I'm wondering if these 512's are enough for UT2K7 maxed out... And where is the PPU??!!
I hope that dual 7800 512MB GTX cards are enough to run a new game on high, because if not then I think we're getting a little excessive on hardware requirements.

But anyway, I'm not sure if it's going to be a PS3 launch title or not simply because we still don't know when the PS3 is going to be released. I'm sure they'll release the game on each platform as soon as it's done, but if the PS3 won't come out until later in the year then it will probably be released on PC first.

jAkUp
01-02-06, 02:15 PM
Well, it wouldn't be a requirement, but if they added a little future proofing on their engine by adding extremely advanced features for the highest of high end cards, I wouldn't be disappointed, nor should anyone be.

Gaco
01-02-06, 02:57 PM
Somehow this seems like a blowback for PS3.. Now it's perhaps not even a PS3 title? Hm :)

Intel17
01-02-06, 02:58 PM

Don't be ridiculous. Of course your cards will be able to play the game maxed out. Remember, Epic is a business and as such, new features must be justified. They would not put any time/effort into a feature that virtually nobody could use.

jAkUp
01-02-06, 03:00 PM
Hey you never know, there are still some games that I cannot max out.

Max out for me is 1600x1200 4x/16x with all options maxed with acceptable framerate.

I can't max out Fear, I can't max out CoR, I can't max out COD2.

Without a PPU you likely will not be able to max out UE3 either.

Doom3 had 512MB textures before there were even 512MB cards, so I think its justified to add future proofing to their engine. Not to mention, becomes the posterboy of all benchmarking tools, which adds more publicity.

Intel17
01-02-06, 03:03 PM

Max out for me is 1600x1200 4x/16x with all options maxed with acceptable framerate.

Oh, with the specifications you provided, that may be another issue! ;)

$n][pErMan
01-02-06, 03:45 PM

Doom3 had 512MB textures before there were even 512MB cards, so I think its justified to add future proofing to their engine. Not to mention, becomes the posterboy of all benchmarking tools, which adds more publicity.
If I recall ... did'nt UT2k3 require 256mb of ram on the video card to be truely maxed out aswell? (back at that time 128mb was the max on cards out)

jAkUp
01-02-06, 03:57 PM
Yea I think so... but UE3 seems like its gonna be an even bigger jump in detail...

But yea, in my interview with Tim Sweeney, he did say a 6800 Ultra would be "perfect" for a 6800 Ultra at 1024x768 everything maxed...

Freeman: And will a 6800 Ultra be able to run Unreal Engine 3 with all the options maxed at 1024 by 768?

Sweeney: Yeah, 1024 by 768 should be perfect for an Ultra, of course by the time Unreal Tournament 2007 ships at the middle or the end of next year, you'll have even higher-end cards than that; you'll have four times the performance, so you'll be able to run 1600 by 1200 on those.

I would like to max out UT07. Like 1920x1200 4x/8x or at least 1680x1050 4x/16x. But I'm going to buy two G71. jAkUp, do you stick with your 512MB GTXs?

BeyondUnreal says the following about the requirements:

That's ok imo.

If the G71's are killer like I expect them to be, I will probably switch for those.... I really wanted my next card to be SM4.0... but since UT2K7 will likely come before those I want the best I can get for UT2K7

aAv7
01-02-06, 04:00 PM

All your questions lay with one answer....nv50. (xmasgrin)

I think nv50 is THE card for UE3.0 engine based games and even later doom3 engine games like quake wars and prey. Put two of those in sli and w00t! You have quite the e-pen0is

G71 is a great refresh, but I doubt it will get you anything above 1280x1024 w/ 2xaa 8xaf.

Now this is merely my opinion...but it's also how I understand buisness. They Make a game that needs this bull**** feature to get us to pay $700 for a new card, then a new game needs this feature so we run out and get another card, when to be honest, if they took half the time to optimise a PC game vs. a console game, the hefty requirements wouldnt really be needed. (This isnt toward epic, they do a great job with their engines) (and yes I understand the thousands of systems they would need to test, but such is life, do it whole heartedly or dont do it at all...stop the half-assed pc games)

I find it hard to believe a 6800 Ultra is gonna run at the highest quality 1024x768 no aa/af, 800x600 seems more likely. I mean look at the 256MB 7800GTX, thats already showing age and looking weak...the 256mb 7800 gtx seems more likely a canidate for 1024x768 no aa/af with smooth frames.

jAkUp
01-02-06, 04:21 PM
Very true, however, I have great faith in Epic that they will optimize their game to the fullest extent, and we will get justified performance. (Something that seems missing these days.)

The Unreal Engine has always ran great, and had decent graphics to boot. Today our cards plow through UT2K4 like its Doom2, but yet the graphics are still half decent. All, while at the same time we have games like COD2 that look only marginally better, but run about 30x worse.

Epic and id are about the only 2 software companies for the PC that do a good job of optimizing anymore... Monolith and Crytek aren't too far behind though

aAv7
01-02-06, 04:43 PM
And I call dibs on one of those 512's :: drools :: lol

jAkUp
01-02-06, 04:45 PM
Make sure to remind me when the G71/R580 hit :)

aAv7
01-02-06, 04:53 PM
I will say this, my hat is off to epic for not bitching out like so many other developers, and throwing it on console simutaneously with the PC launch. Cough cough oblivion cough cough.

At least Epic is showing they are in it till the end with PC Gaming FIRST. That's like...man...I didnt think I could respect them anymore than I already did, and they go and show their true to PC like this....makes me wanna shed a tear since i'm such a biased pc gamer. =)

For those that mention Gears of War, two things, one...I beleive it is eventaully coming to pc, and two..it's a brand new IP for consoles....the Unreal Tournament series has always been on PC first and that isnt changing anytime soon.

Dazz
01-02-06, 05:08 PM
Yeah i think you guys are under cutting the 7800 range too much. Considering we have seen ingame futage of the 7800 cards in action, during their alpha demo.

anticitizenzero
01-02-06, 05:52 PM
I will say this, my hat is off to epic for not bitching out like so many other developers, and throwing it on console simutaneously with the PC launch. Cough cough oblivion cough cough.

I agree with you 100% on that, nothing I hate more than when developers sell out to the consoles when they know they can bring better quality games on the PC.

Mr. Hunt
01-02-06, 05:54 PM
I agree with you 100% on that, nothing I hate more than when developers sell out to the consoles when they know they can bring better quality games on the PC.

How does PC = quality? I have seen more polished console games than PC games, and console games can get out there to more people, so I understand why PC devs "sell out" to develope games for consoles...

mullet
01-02-06, 05:54 PM
Very true, however, I have great faith in Epic that they will optimize their game to the fullest extent, and we will get justified performance. (Something that seems missing these days.)

The Unreal Engine has always ran great, and had decent graphics to boot. Today our cards plow through UT2K4 like its Doom2, but yet the graphics are still half decent. All, while at the same time we have games like COD2 that look only marginally better, but run about 30x worse.

Epic and id are about the only 2 software companies for the PC that do a good job of optimizing anymore... Monolith and Crytek aren't too far behind though

WERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW Mr.Hunt i saw call of duty 2 on the Xbox 360 and it looked like poo, not to mention the Quake 4 screens.

aAv7
01-02-06, 06:06 PM
How does PC = quality? I have seen more polished console games than PC games, and console games can get out there to more people, so I understand why PC devs "sell out" to develope games for consoles...

That's my entire point though. If developers would put as much polish in a pc game as they do a console game, the Pc gaming community would be in a better position. It's become the norm to throw a half arsed port to a PC just for extra revenue....that needs to change. It's also becoming a growing trend to co-release pc and console versions. Whereas before, most franchises that started on PC made sure that the PC version got extra care and pushed out the door way ahead of a console. So again, my hat is off to Epic for staying true to that. They know where the gamer loyalty lies and it seems in return, their loyalty is with us pc gamers as well.

Now if only microsft wouldn't be so idiotic as to wait for vista before pushing PC Gaming again. They need to push it now so when Vista hits, the ball is already rolling. They swore to more shelf space and advertising dollars for pc games...ironically at the mall today ebgames had thrown all the pc games in a bin...I sh*t you not..a bin...all scattered...and in the pc games old spot were game boy advanced titles...:: sigh ::

Mr. Hunt
01-02-06, 06:09 PM
That's my entire point though. If developers would put as much polish in a pc game as they do a console game, the Pc gaming community would be in a better position. It's become the norm to throw a half arsed port to a PC just for extra revenue....that needs to change. It's also becoming a growing trend to co-release pc and console versions. Whereas before, most franchises that started on PC made sure that the PC version got extra care and pushed out the door way ahead of a console. So again, my hat is off to Epic for staying true to that. They know where the gamer loyalty lies and it seems in return, their loyalty is with us pc gamers as well.

I understand... but the sad part is, is that there isn't anywhere near as much money in PC games as console games... I know it sucks, but it is the truth. They usually put more polishing in console games because generally they won't be patched, whereas with PC games, they patch the crap out of them and they even usually have a patch out before the game is shipped.

EDIT: Except id Software... I love them... they may not make the greatest games ever... but when they come out, they are usually VERY polished.

aAv7
01-02-06, 06:30 PM
I understand... but the sad part is, is that there isn't anywhere near as much money in PC games as console games... I know it sucks, but it is the truth. They usually put more polishing in console games because generally they won't be patched, whereas with PC games, they patch the crap out of them and they even usually have a patch out before the game is shipped.

EDIT: Except id Software... I love them... they may not make the greatest games ever... but when they come out, they are usually VERY polished.

I agree with ya man. ID does make a solid game....er...engine at least (xmasgrin) . Actually I didn't mind Doom 3, very repetitive, but doom has always been like that, they refuse to move on, and rather stick with an original concept, won't make them rich, and now I think they have that figured out. Can't wait for Quake Wars and the new IP they're working on.

SH64
01-02-06, 07:37 PM
Bring on teh d3m0!! (xmasgrin)