PDA

View Full Version : DDR Drive

retsam
01-02-06, 08:54 PM
wow this is everything that i wanted out of the giga-byte I-RAM

http://www.ddrdrive.com/

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28647

its PCI-express and holds 8 gigs of ram ..(xmassign)

http://public.globaltechpost.com/DDRdriveX1_Prototype.jpg

makes my mouth water

jAkUp
01-02-06, 09:03 PM
Does it have a battery though incase your power goes out? I hope its SATA2 :D

nV`andrew
01-02-06, 09:28 PM
what would this cost about, $200? since it is just coming out maybe 3 or 4 hundred? or more? lol.

im on my lapytop because i just booted up my new pc and im installing the OS woot! (xmasgrin)

Mr. Hunt
01-02-06, 09:45 PM
I think I'm in love... Lol... next upgrade I definitely want to get one of these... seem like they would be VERY nice to have for stuff.

nV`andrew
01-02-06, 09:59 PM
I think I'm in love... Lol... next upgrade I definitely want to get one of these... seem like they would be VERY nice to have for stuff.

yeah same here, plus another gt for sli :D

anyways, anyone know what they will be priced at or their released date? this looks sooo cool. pc lover's dream!

retsam
01-02-06, 10:42 PM
Does it have a battery though incase your power goes out? I hope its SATA2 :D
it has an external power outlet. ya i hope its sata2 also. i think it maybe considering they used pci-express and all. hay jakup how did you make out with the I-RAM you had going on?

GamerGuyX
01-02-06, 10:48 PM
it has an external power outlet.

Yes, but the point he is trying to make is what happens to the data that is stored on the DDRdrive when the power goes out?

jAkUp
01-02-06, 11:04 PM
it has an external power outlet. ya i hope its sata2 also. i think it maybe considering they used pci-express and all. hay jakup how did you make out with the I-RAM you had going on?

Still working on it :) Got a lot of stuff going on right now... I will work on it some more tommorrow (cheers)

retsam
01-02-06, 11:21 PM
Yes, but the point he is trying to make is what happens to the data that is stored on the DDRdrive when the power goes out?
he knows what happens when you loose power, hes been working with the i-ram for a little while now. on the back of the ddr drive there is an outlet for an external power outlet so when you re-boot or just shutdown the static ram doesnt loose it state.the i-ram uses a battery if the you reboot or shutdown. the problem i have with the i-ram is how do you know when the battery is bad. what happens if the battery is bad and then you goto reboot your machine...splat!!!..all data is lost.

retsam
01-02-06, 11:22 PM
Still working on it :) Got a lot of stuff going on right now... I will work on it some more tommorrow (cheers)
cool!!!. let us know how you make out with it...(rudolf)

GamerGuyX
01-02-06, 11:51 PM
he knows what happens when you loose power, hes been working with the i-ram for a little while now. on the back of the ddr drive there is an outlet for an external power outlet so when you re-boot or just shutdown the static ram doesnt loose it state.

I realize this. But what happens to the data on the DDRdrive when the power to the whole building goes out? This is the point I was originally trying to make. Obviously the I-RAM has the battery that will keep everything stored into memory if such a thing happens.

retsam
01-03-06, 09:08 PM
Obviously the I-RAM has the battery that will keep everything stored into memory if such a thing happens.ya i hear ya. i wish it had both .

i just got a reply from the makers of ddrdrive they said that the drive uses the pci-express bus instead of the sata bus....sounds cool to me

slick
01-04-06, 12:59 PM
Get an APC Battery/surge protector (you really should have one anyways) and you get the best of both worlds. :D I'm looking forward to this, hopefully it won't be too ridiculously expensive.

jAkUp
01-04-06, 01:03 PM
Yea that would work good... I imagine it uses low power so the APC should be able to feed it for quite a while.

nutball
01-04-06, 01:36 PM
Looks a bit small for my tastes (http://www.superssd.com/products/tera-ramsan/) (xmastong)