PDA

View Full Version : BF2 CD-Key Lost

Pages : [1] 2

nV`andrew
01-03-06, 10:38 AM
I have BF2 on my other PC that is not in use right now unless i plug it back in. So as many of you know, I finished building my PC and about 5 minutes ago i was about to install BF2, but i can't find the manual anywhere :(

am i doomed? im gonna go look some more, the only other place it could be is in my other cd boxes or something.. :'(

rewt
01-03-06, 10:47 AM
CDKey is stored in the registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games]

More specifically,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\ergc]

However if you've installed the latest patch chances are the key is hashed and won't do you any good as far as new install goes.

I recommend to backup and restore the registry file (and entire installation folder) from the other machine. You shouldn't have any problems playing it then.

nV`andrew
01-03-06, 10:56 AM
CDKey is stored in the registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games]

More specifically,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\ergc]

However if you've installed the latest patch chances are the key is hashed and won't do you any good as far as new install goes.

I recommend to backup and restore the registry file (and entire installation folder) from the other machine. You shouldn't have any problems playing it then.

i will try this thanks....

rewt
01-03-06, 11:01 AM
No problemo.

One more thing , if you get missing DirectX or D3D dll file when launching BF2 simply download and install the latest DirectX December Update (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3F2828FA-0E3C-4837-AFC0-6C67DCAA54BF&displaylang=en) from Microsoft. This will help in cases where you don't want to (or can't) reinstall the entire game.

nV`andrew
01-03-06, 11:29 AM
I'm on the PC with BF2 right now, and i have searched through all the registry files and could not find anything. I did find some things that said CDKey but when i opened them it would ask me my CD Key or it would just be some file with meaningless words..

rewt
01-03-06, 11:34 AM
Go to Start > Run > Regedit

Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\ergc

There should be a value there, on the right hand side. DO NOT post it on the forum.

If there are 20 characters then that is your CD Key. IF there are lots more than 20 characters there, then that is the hash of your CD Key. The hash of your CD key is not useful for reinstall. It is only useful for exporting.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2

Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and and go Export. Then you can Import it on your new machine after you have copied over the game folder. Install the DirectX December update, and Play the game.

rewt
01-03-06, 11:43 AM
I did some editing there to my last post and added a little bit better instructions. If you read it earlier, then you might wan't to look over it again.

nV`andrew
01-03-06, 11:49 AM
Thanks again.

sorry im a noob at this stuff
I did go through that but could not find any folder or file under named "ergc". There was something called "wdc" underneath but all it contained was a file name "(Default)". Also..to view the value or the cd-key do i need to view the binary data?

rewt
01-03-06, 11:52 AM
Ah I see. Under "wdc" and the (Default) key. Double-click on (Default). Is the value 20 characters long?

rewt
01-03-06, 11:55 AM
On my machine the key hash is under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\ergc (Default)

and under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\wdc

(Default) equals "true"

I also have Special Forces expansion pack and latest patches installed. Perhaps thats why yours is different.

nV`andrew
01-03-06, 12:05 PM
bleh...

when i double click it wants me to enter the value name or change the value data. the value data is: "true"

rewt
01-03-06, 12:10 PM
(Default) equals true on my machine too. But the key (or key hash) should be under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\ergc

not

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\wdc

Do you have BF2 Expansion Pack installed?

nV`andrew
01-03-06, 12:21 PM
No but i do have the latest patch installed, not sure if this has something to do with it

eh..if i cant find it sometime soon i mgiht just go out and buy it again, cuz i think my manual is long gone...

but thanks for ur help so far

rewt
01-03-06, 12:30 PM
Patch 1.12? Yeah I have that installed too. But my CD-Key is still there. Sorry man I really don't know what else to tell ya. I would say use a key maker but you need your original key in order to play online.

ynnek
01-03-06, 12:37 PM
This is why I throw the manual back into the original box, and store it away up on a shelf in my closet... Lost a cd key before, vowed to never have that happen again.

$n][pErMan
01-03-06, 01:20 PM
This is why I throw the manual back into the original box, and store it away up on a shelf in my closet... Lost a cd key before, vowed to never have that happen again.
Likewise. Boxes are so small anymore... I just line my games up like books so I can always look back for a CDKey if need be. Maybe call EA games and give them a rundown and perhaps your account info.. they MIGHT be able to help.

nV`andrew
01-03-06, 01:44 PM
It is real funny, i have all my games in this shelf thing, all have all their manuals, advertisements, etc. inside. So does BF2, has everything except the manual. I think i might of left it out and my mom was probably cleaning and dumped it..

I will probably go and just buy a new copy from best buy with my gift card. Wonder if they have the DVD version, as some CDs can get pretty loud in my drive.

Thanks for the help

de><ta
01-03-06, 01:54 PM
If you have registered the product online I am pretty sure you can retrieve a lost cd key. I have my cd key burned on a cd along with the patches etc.

nV`andrew
01-03-06, 02:02 PM
If you have registered the product online I am pretty sure you can retrieve a lost cd key. I have my cd key burned on a cd along with the patches etc.

hmm ill try this right now thanks, i found a folder that will let me register

edit: nevermind, u have to have ur cd=key to register lol. im gonig to best buy in about an hour. cant wait to try it out on my new system! :D

Gaco
01-03-06, 03:10 PM
Poor me, I lost my BF2 key too, but I formatted the HDD right after :cry:

ynnek
01-03-06, 04:34 PM
It is real funny, i have all my games in this shelf thing, all have all their manuals, advertisements, etc. inside. So does BF2, has everything except the manual. I think i might of left it out and my mom was probably cleaning and dumped it..

LMAO.. Man, my mom used to do the same thing. She would always go through my stuff, and throw out stuff that she thought wasn't necessary.. I got into countless arguments with her, about not touching my stuff, or at leats not throwing anything away...

Fast foward years and years, I've grown up and moved out into my own place.. My parents come to visit.. Guess what she does while I'm out at work? Goes through my garage and clears, boxes, and throws stuff out.. Here's the kicker, I started putting together a few models in my garage, so you can imagine I had a whole bunch of pieces and stuff laying around, in piles and stuff.. in various stages of prep and completion.. Well, she took everything and threw it halfhazardly in a few boxes, and stacked them up ina corner, and threw away all the instructions/identifcation material. Even with my dad and my wife trying to tell her, "I don't think you should touch that".. You can imagine the look on my face when I came home from work and opened up my garage...

Cheers.. lol

nV`andrew
01-03-06, 07:39 PM
LMAO.. Man, my mom used to do the same thing. She would always go through my stuff, and throw out stuff that she thought wasn't necessary.. I got into countless arguments with her, about not touching my stuff, or at leats not throwing anything away...

Fast foward years and years, I've grown up and moved out into my own place.. My parents come to visit.. Guess what she does while I'm out at work? Goes through my garage and clears, boxes, and throws stuff out.. Here's the kicker, I started putting together a few models in my garage, so you can imagine I had a whole bunch of pieces and stuff laying around, in piles and stuff.. in various stages of prep and completion.. Well, she took everything and threw it halfhazardly in a few boxes, and stacked them up ina corner, and threw away all the instructions/identifcation material. Even with my dad and my wife trying to tell her, "I don't think you should touch that".. You can imagine the look on my face when I came home from work and opened up my garage...

Cheers.. lol

Yeah we get into arguements about this stuff all the time...I boguht a new copy and installed then shut my pc off and later tried to put more memory in and now it won't boot lol

a12ctic
01-03-06, 07:46 PM
ET:QW will be beter and that games such a resource ***** why even bother...?

Banko
01-03-06, 08:36 PM
If you don't want to spend much money I think you can buy keys from ebay.

nV`andrew
01-04-06, 11:07 AM
oh well, i got it for $39 from Best Buy...the last copy in the back. I won't play it much until i get my RAM issue sorted out, right now i only have 1gig, ill need to order another to play smoothly on multiplayer