PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing WinXP Pro on NForce SATA Raid Array

landity
01-04-06, 06:22 AM
Hi all,

I've been trying for days now and am almost ready for giving up. Here is the configuration I have at the moment

Biostar N4SLI-A9 Motherboard
1gb memory (2x512 in dual channel mode)
2xSATA 120Gb Hard Disks
AMD Athlon 64 3200
GeForce 6600 GT PCI-Ex

I have enabled raid in bios, and have specified disks to use in a raid array. I have setup a Stripe array using the nvidia raid controller (pressing F10 during boot sequence) and I've set the Raid array as the boot drive in bios.

The motherboard didn't come with a floppy disk supplying any SATA Raid Drivers so I looked on the motherboard web site and found some drivers but I think they were only for IDE Raid. Either way, they didn't work even though I installed both parts of the driver by pressing F6 During boot. I think all I need are the correct drivers, but I can't seem to find them and Nvidia aren't being very helpful.

Thanks for any help

Muppet
01-04-06, 06:54 AM
Which Sata ports are you using the Nforce ones or the Silicon image one. Supposedly the Nforce Sata connections are faster because they use the PCI-E bus.

supra
01-04-06, 09:49 AM
usually the motherboard doesnt come with a floppy disk with sata drivers. They give you a cd with the driver on there and a tool to create a sata driver floppy disk.

landity
01-04-06, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. How can I check which SATA ports I am using? If speed is the only difference, then which ever ones I'm using shouldn't affect the ability for windows to see the raid array should it?

I've looked on the CD, in the Drivers folder I have a directory called SATA which only contains a folder called VT6420 (I have attached a screenshot to show you the rest of the files) I have already tried copying the files in the Driver Disk folder to a floppy and this didn't make a differrence. I also have a RAID folder in the drivers folder but the drivers copied from that folder didn't do anything in windows setup either (screenshot attached to show rest of files). When I try and run any of the setup files I get error messages stating the hardware cannot be found and setup aborts, which I can understand since I don't have VIA raid controller onboard, maybe I'm missing something but it's as if I don't have the correct CD for the motherboard I have bought and the title of the CD doesn't match my board "N101B_K8_0412", I can't find any mention of any NForce 4 Raid drivers anywhere on the CD.

I have also attached a screen shot of some of the directory structure I have on the CD.

Thanks

jAkUp
01-04-06, 12:21 PM
Download the chipset driver from here:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/driver/model.php3?name=N4SLI-A9

Extract to a temp location.

Navigate to ""\Win2kxp\IDE\WinXP\sataraid

Copy all the contents to a floppy disk, use F6 to install RAID drivers.

LBJM
01-04-06, 06:50 PM
make your own windows xp cd with the drivers you need

using nlite it's free
http://www.nliteos.com/

I use it so I don't need a floppy at all and you can customize you winxp installation

madmartyau
01-05-06, 03:31 AM
Boot the computer with the CD that came with the mobo. It will then allow you to create a floppy with the drivers on it.

landity
01-05-06, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the help so far, I'm getting a little further. I created a floppy with the correct drivers to install windows with. Everything went fine, the windows setup program recognised the 2 drives as one raid drive and setup seemed to go fine. I went all the way through the setup routine where I'd choosen the language to use, told it the admin password, specified computer name etc.... no problems at this point. Problem I have now is, after windows had completed the second part of the setup (after the first reboot) when windows reboots a second time after windows is completely installed it gets to the windows logo load screen, and then I briefly see the BSoD then the system reboots. I can't seem to get it to go into windows now. I know this computer used to before when I installed windows in a non-raid setup, but since windows is installed on the raid drive, it won't go past the windows xp logo. I can't believe how anoying this has been, other raid systems have just worked without any messing around, but not this onev :)

Thanks again

landity
01-05-06, 08:35 AM

using nlite it's free

I use it so I don't need a floppy at all and you can customize you winxp installation
I have tried using NLite and included the NForce4 drivers in the installation, but when I got into the first part of windows setup where I choose which partition to install windows, I still get 2 drives where I should only have one. Any ideas?

landity
01-05-06, 09:24 AM

using nlite it's free

Ok, had another attempt at creating an install CD using NLite. This time it seemed to work, the first part of the windows setup recognised the raid array, the second part (GUI part) seemed to work fine, I had made the CD an unattended install by specifying CD Key and regional settings etc... it looked like everything was going to work. Then, I get exactly what I was getting before, the system reboots when trying to get into windows. When I booted in safe mode, the last thing on the screen before it reboots is blah blah \Drivers\mup.sys

any ideas?

landity
01-05-06, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. Eventually got it working using nlite and integrating the 6.70 nvidia drivers. Now I have a fully functioning windows installation running on a Raid 0 array :)