PDA

View Full Version : NV Raid vs. Add-in Controller

zillatech
01-04-06, 10:32 AM
I'm looking for some advice about using the nvRAID that comes on the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe vs. buying an Add-in RAID controller. I want to use (2) 150GB Raptors in RAID-0 for the C:\ Drive (Boot & System) and then a single WD400GB for a D:\ Drive (Data, no RAID).

1st: have there been any problems with the onboard NV RAID setups that I should be aware of?

2nd: How about performance differences between the RAID controllers?

3rd: How much would having (2) raptors in RAID-0 really help vs. just (2) in a "NON-RAID" configuration? I currently have (2) 74GB raptors as stand alone drives C:\ & D:\ and the performance is good but I'm looking for more capacity and even more performance for a new system I will be building in a couple of months. I will also be using an FX-60 or A64 X2 4800+ as the minimum CPU spec.

Thanks in advance ~ (newyr)

zillatech
01-04-06, 10:57 AM
Well, I think I found the answer for the 3rd question & it pretty much negates questions 1 and 2. Here is the scoop on RAID-0 for anyone that hasn't already read this information:

http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=SingleDriveVsRaid0

Looks like I might be using (2) 150GB Raptors as stand-alones or maybe 1 raptor and 1 WD400GB or a fast C:\ and larger capacity D:\.

~ zillatech ~

NuBee
01-13-06, 02:16 AM
I would use the Raptors in Raid-0 for C: and eventually one more partition for games (if you're a gamer).
The nVidia Raid is better!
Good luck!