PDA

View Full Version : New card...no improvement.

Pages : [1] 2

slappy
01-14-03, 07:18 PM
Okay I just upgraded to an Asus Geforce4 Ti4200 V9280 from an Asus Geforce2.

Ive been running the Detonator drivers with the nVidia Refresh Rate Fix MKII. Operating System: WindowsXP

Now I have the latest Detonators as of 1/14/03.

Problem is all my games show no improvement in frame rates. What's really strange is that all the games actually do show a much higher fps being 99 in counter strike. But, theres just no way that im getting 99. Looks more like the default 60 without the refresh rate fix.

Anybody else experiencing the same problem?

Chalnoth
01-14-03, 07:37 PM
The main benefit in moving to a GeForce4 shouldn't be framerates, but rather anisotropic filtering and FSAA. I alway sturn on 8-degree anisotropic and 2x FSAA on my GeForce4 Ti 4200, changing the resolution from game to game.

slappy
01-14-03, 07:39 PM
Thanks, but not quite the answer I was looking for.

fastguy94416
01-14-03, 08:19 PM
Counterstike framerates won't benifit. They max out at 100 no matter what card you have. Also, make sure v-sync is off, unless you are running like 100hz refresh, or, tearing drives you crazy

pelly
01-14-03, 08:34 PM
What CPU is being used and how much RAM do you have?

If the CPU is an older model, it is the bottleneck and will negate any benefits the new card provides...

If you go into the Half-Life folder and browse the sytem file...you'll see an entry for max_fps....raise that and see if things even out...

Are you using fraps or the built-in FPS counter? If you haven't tried yet, give fraps a shot and see how its results compare to what you're seeing...

Good luck!

:D

StealthHawk
01-15-03, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by slappy
What's really strange is that all the games actually do show a much higher fps being 99 in counter strike. But, theres just no way that im getting 99. Looks more like the default 60 without the refresh rate fix.

why not? CS isn't that demanding. without AF and FSAA a gf3 can easily get 100fps in CS.

MrNasty
01-15-03, 02:54 AM
Those are subjective tests, a lot of people can't be arsed with gimmicks like AA and AF.

Falkentyne
01-15-03, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
why not? CS isn't that demanding. without AF and FSAA a gf3 can easily get 100fps in CS.

My Geforce2 easily got 100 FPS in CS.
In fact, the GF2 would sometimes go up to 300 + FPS (tested with /timerefresh, although that isn't very accurate; timerefresh ignores the maxfps setting), unless there were a lot of models right in front of you.

jbirney
01-15-03, 07:45 AM
To help becnchmark CS you can use the gamegague switch:

cl_gg = 1

The run your demo map. CS will create a file called fps.txt. In it you will find the avg, min, max and a breakdown of the FPS ever second of the demo (good for histograms). Problem is there is no one good demo to use as a benchmark out there. But when you use that switch you ignore the max_fps cap in the config.cfg. When I test it on a 8500 I would get avg of about 125 using a 1.4 Ghz AMD. Going to a 1600xp+ at same settings bosted the score to about 150 fps. The HL engine can become bottle necked by the CPU. BTW the demo I have only works for CS1.3 :(

Chalnoth
01-15-03, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by MrNasty
Those are subjective tests, a lot of people can't be arsed with gimmicks like AA and AF.

FSAA and anisotropic filtering are far from gimmicks. They are the way that you improve image quality on modern graphics cards now that the high-end cards can generally run at the highest resolutions without running out of steam.

Hellbinder
01-15-03, 11:05 AM
The main benefit in moving to a GeForce4 shouldn't be framerates, but rather anisotropic filtering and FSAA. I alway sturn on 8-degree anisotropic and 2x FSAA on my GeForce4 Ti 4200, changing the resolution from game to game.

You have got to be kidding me....

8x aniso on a GF4 Ti 4200 with FSAA???? What.. Are you running at 640x480? i own a GF4 ti 4200, You turn on 8x Aniso with FSAA at 1024x768 and the Frame rate is history.

Aniso is not a bennefit on the GF4 series at all, you post this on any other site but here and you would be laughed to scorn.

Having said all that....

I really Liked my GF4 Ti 4200. I am not sure why the origional poster is not seeing improved FPS. perhaps you are not pushing the Resolution high enough to really see the benefits?? Try going to 1280x960x32. I think you will see what you are looking for then. And 2x FSAA can be a real benefit when playing at 1024x768. Aniso is ok.. if used at about 2x.

Chalnoth
01-15-03, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder

8x aniso on a GF4 Ti 4200 with FSAA???? What.. Are you running at 640x480? i own a GF4 ti 4200, You turn on 8x Aniso with FSAA at 1024x768 and the Frame rate is history.

Well, as I've said multiple times, I always run my GeForce4 Ti 4200 at 8x aniso and 2x FSAA. Most games I run at 1024x768 at this setting, but a few (Well, pretty much just UT2k3) I have to turn down to 800x600. I always run in 32-bit color.

Aniso is not a bennefit on the GF4 series at all, you post this on any other site but here and you would be laughed to scorn.

Sure it is. After using a GeForce4 and Radeon 9700, I still feel that the GF4 has the best-looking anisotropic there is.

slappy
01-15-03, 05:40 PM
Ok the problem has been solved. Here is what went down.

When I took v-sync off...i'd get 99fps no prob just like my old geforce2. BUT...it WAS VERY CHOPPY. I had an older version of nVidia Refresh Rate Fix MKII 1.1 i believe. Wut I noticed was that when turned v-sync back on i was getting only 60fps. The limitation of WIndowsXP refresh rate. So there was my problem..now fixed. I got the newer refresh rate utility and it works like a charm now.

As far as frame rates go....they mean the world to any game. Forget this FSAA stuff i don't even see a difference at the highest setting.

By the way my system is
Geforce4 TI4200 8x
Asus mobo...getting only 2x agp not 4x wut up with that?
386 ram
Pentium 1.2 gig

Another strange problem im havin with this new card. My cs now loads into a small window when launched. I never changed anything. Plus some of my other games like GTA3 fail to load completely. I get the hourglass for a couple of seconds then nothin. :(

Plus: The highest resolution setting I get with the new Detonators is only 1024*768 Wut up with that??? If I choose a higher res in my games the screen is all garbled. Man what a pain. Not quite as bad as a Creative Banshee I got about 5 years ago. That card was a *uckin nightmare I tell ya.

Chalnoth
01-15-03, 06:22 PM
As far as frame rates go....they mean the world to any game. Forget this FSAA stuff i don't even see a difference at the highest setting.

FSAA and anisotropic filtering both are visual improvements that you notice more when turning them off after having used them for a while. I suggest try leaving FSAA and anisotropic on for a while (I suggest 2x FSAA, 8-degree aniso), at some resolution where you get good performance. Leave these settings on for at least a few days, then turn them off, and see what you think. Then increase the resolution (without FSAA/aniso), and see what you think.

Another strange problem im havin with this new card. My cs now loads into a small window when launched. I never changed anything. Plus some of my other games like GTA3 fail to load completely. I get the hourglass for a couple of seconds then nothin. :(

I have noticed that some games don't like nView, so you can try making sure that's disabled.

Plus: The highest resolution setting I get with the new Detonators is only 1024*768 Wut up with that??? If I choose a higher res in my games the screen is all garbled. Man what a pain. Not quite as bad as a Creative Banshee I got about 5 years ago. That card was a *uckin nightmare I tell ya.

Try reinstalling your monitor INF's. You may be attempting to force too high of a refresh rate at the higher resolutions.

slappy
01-15-03, 06:41 PM
I have noticed that some games don't like nView, so you can try making sure that's disabled.

How do you do this? Its not in add remove programs and when i load the program there's no disable option.

Chalnoth
01-15-03, 06:57 PM
Under Display Properties->Settings tab->Advanced button->GeForce4 Ti 4200 tab->Desktop Utilities. Make sure the "Enable Desktop Manager" box is unchecked.

slappy
01-15-03, 07:06 PM
It was never checked to begin with.

CWB
01-17-03, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder

Having said all that....

I really Liked my GF4 Ti 4200. I am not sure why the origional poster is not seeing improved FPS. perhaps you are not pushing the Resolution high enough to really see the benefits?? Try going to 1280x960x32. I think you will see what you are looking for then. And 2x FSAA can be a real benefit when playing at 1024x768. Aniso is ok.. if used at about 2x.

I have a GF4 TI4600 (325/725) and am able to play every game I have at 1280x1024 with 2xAA and 4x Aniso. Since I was used to playing without either on my GF3, 2xAA and 4x Aniso is a huge improvement in image quality. So Im still quite happy with my GF4.

Smokey
01-17-03, 02:50 PM

How do you do this? Its not in add remove programs and when i load the program there's no disable option.

Im not sure, have you checked your starting programs in, start, run, msconfig
Maybe you can deselect it at start up?

CWB
01-17-03, 03:26 PM

2 places. In Windows Control Panel, open the nView applet and you can disable it from there. I think you can also do it by going to Display Properties, Advanced, xxx, NView.

DaveW
01-17-03, 03:37 PM
I have a Ti4200. I usually play with 2X AA and 4X AF in 800x600. What you consider "acceptable" frame rates varies from person to person. I have tried 2X AA and 8X AF in 1024x768 and I wasn't happy with the frame rate.

Grechie
06-21-03, 05:57 AM
this asus v9280td rocks, this card gets me 10089 3d marks, kicks ass in games, heaps smooth on 1024X768, havent tried FSAA or AF too scared it will chunk up like a b!tch lmao, does anyone know with this asus v9280td wat clock speeds i can use thats overclockign but can use the fan provided on the card for adiqute cooling ? my current clock speeds are CORE 252 and MEMORY 513 ? ive tried 275 & 525, can i keep them like that standard or will over a amount of time eg 5 hours burn the card out ? :)

dare_devil
06-21-03, 06:15 AM
i played CS with 4X FSAA and 8X Aniso
with my Ti4600
i dont have any FPS Problem
no lag at all

Pafet
06-21-03, 12:31 PM
if you buy a new card to play CS you dont deserve higher frame rate :D

seriously, on CS you can see improvements over gf2mx on a P3 450 (I tried). BTW what GF2 was it before?

Nutty
06-21-03, 02:06 PM
IMO, you should leave v-sync on. You wont drop frame rate unless you're not using triple-buffering. nvidia drivers auto enable it now anyways, as long as theres enuff V-ram for it.

Bit pointless using anisotropic texture filtering on CS, cos the textures are soo damn low res anyway. Turning on AF with a GF4, means you lose multi-texturing performance anyhow, so you'll get more benefit leaving it off for CS, and cranking some AA up instead, or using higher resolutions.