PDA

View Full Version : Need desperate help (building a computer)

-Arkan-
01-04-06, 11:13 PM
Hey all, I'm having difficulty finishing up building a computer for which I recently received all the parts.

I used an IGN guide to put it together, but when I thought I completed contstruction, I booted the system and nothing is showing up on the monitor. Here is another thread I made for extra information (and to show some of my stupidity, hehe).

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=39179&st=0 (my third post is where my current problem starts)

The specifics for the system are as follows:

ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUX motherboard
Ultra UV Wizard Black Mid ATX Case UV Blue Side
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Venice) Socket 939 BOX CPU
Seagate 250GB EIDE HD 7200/8MB/ATA-100
Corsair 2048MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz (2 x 1024MB)
2 (Two) eVGA GeForce 6800GS 256MB PCIe w/DVI/TV-OUT
NEC ND-3550A Black Internal 16X DVD Burner
Aopen DVD 1648L 16X DVD-ROM Drive
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live 24 Bit
Ultra 500W X-Finity Power Supply 120mm Fan / Black
X2Gen MG19MY 19" TFT LCD 1280x1024

Any help would be appreciated.

nV`andrew
01-04-06, 11:28 PM
So it boots but nothing comes up on the monitor? Make sure everything is in the right slots and in all the way, you have power to both cards, and that the monitor plug and pins are fine and plugged in the right card.

Level 4

Another question:

When using the power cable that comes with the video card(s), it has a connection that splits into two seperate power connectors. Should I put a corresponding plug into each of these or just one? And should I do it for both video cards.

in both, and get power to both. if you don't have enough psu connectors for it, you can buy little adapter connectors that will break down a 4 pin connector to two 3's etc.

keith33
01-04-06, 11:29 PM
Get everything working with ONE card first, then add the second, it'll simplify things much more.

Good luck!

-Arkan-
01-05-06, 12:22 AM
Get everything working with ONE card first, then add the second, it'll simplify things much more.

Good luck!

That's what I've been trying to do...but I still can get anythign to come through on the monitor. I've checked and double checked and everything seems to be connected securely. The LED lights aren't even coming on, nor is the PC speaker making any beeping noises.

Superfly
01-05-06, 08:23 AM
so it does'nt boot then - not what your first post suggests.

do the fans on the Power supply spin up????

have you plugged it in?? - lol could'nt resist!!!!!!!

rflair
01-05-06, 09:21 AM
Be more specific.

I guess its your first PC build if your using a guide.

Are there any beeps? Beeps can be a good or bad sign, if there are try and remember them and post back.

Do the fans on the PSU spin up? If not check to make sure the switch on the PSU itself is on. The PSU will also fail to turn on if there is an electrical short somewhere.

If the PSU fans do spin when the PC is turned on but no post, turn it off pull everything out except the MOBO, CPU and RAM, don't worry about video or any type of hard drive, or DVD/CDROM. Power it up it should give you a beep code that pretains to missing video, if it does power down and try inserting one video card an boot up again.

There are many possibilties, be as specific as you can.

P.S. This isn't directed at you in general but when building a PC wear shoes, if you can buy an anti static wrist strap do (esp. for novice PC builders) or keep touching a large metal obeject to get rid of any static charge in your body (the PC case is good enough), don't build a PC in a carpeted area or on your bed to much static charge.

-Arkan-
01-05-06, 06:11 PM
Be more specific.

I guess its your first PC build if your using a guide.

It is, but I've been tinkering around inside computers since old 3-486s and whatnot. Switched out I don't know how many hard drives, sound/video, memory and other components I've moved in and about computers....

Are there any beeps? Beeps can be a good or bad sign, if there are try and remember them and post back.

None that I can hear, and the PC speaker is hooked up to the correctly labeled panel connector.

Do the fans on the PSU spin up? If not check to make sure the switch on the PSU itself is on. The PSU will also fail to turn on if there is an electrical short somewhere.

It turns on and the fan does spin.

If the PSU fans do spin when the PC is turned on but no post, turn it off pull everything out except the MOBO, CPU and RAM, don't worry about video or any type of hard drive, or DVD/CDROM. Power it up it should give you a beep code that pretains to missing video, if it does power down and try inserting one video card an boot up again.

I'll give that try next.

P.S. This isn't directed at you in general but when building a PC wear shoes, if you can buy an anti static wrist strap do (esp. for novice PC builders) or keep touching a large metal obeject to get rid of any static charge in your body (the PC case is good enough), don't build a PC in a carpeted area or on your bed to much static charge.

Unfortunetately, I HAVE learned this the hard way in the past, hehe.

-Arkan-
01-05-06, 08:05 PM
SWEET JESUS PROGESS! I've got beeps!!

rflair
01-05-06, 08:29 PM
Great!

If you get stuck post the beep code your hearing or check http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

-Arkan-
01-05-06, 08:39 PM
WTF? Now I can't even turn the thing on!

nrs421
01-05-06, 08:44 PM
have you connencted all those little cables...you know the ones with the really thin wires (http://www.tomshardware.com/2002/09/18/building_your_own_pc/page14.html) that are in the case...anyways read this as well

http://www.tomshardware.com/2002/09/04/building_your_own_pc/

http://www.tomshardware.com/2002/09/18/building_your_own_pc/

-Arkan-
01-05-06, 10:13 PM
Nothing is working. I switch the PSU on, and the Standby/On LED lights up on the motherboard, and I've got the Power Switch cable plugged into the panel, but now, absolutely nothing is happening.