PDA

View Full Version : No!! Silverstone Strider 600w dead?

roper512
01-05-06, 10:52 AM
Hey all, I made a thread on hardocp a week or so ago about a problem I was having with my setup..

I have Asus A8N-SLI Premium and latest BIOS, I have 2 512 meg 7800GTX's (evga) and I _HAD_ an Antec 550w TruePower 2...

I bought a Silverstone Strider 600w PSU because of a recommendation from a user who had the same setup I had...

At first, the PSU worked fine for a couple of hours in games that normally shut down the system in 5 minutes..

Unfortunately this morning after a couple hours of World of Warcraft (which actualy never shut down my system) the PSU shut down.. It made clicking noises for about 2 minutes after shutting down..

It now doesn't power back on.. The Antec would at least power back on..

:( :(

Rytr
01-05-06, 11:07 AM
If you don't have a way to test the Silverstone put the Antec back in to see if it will power up your system. If it does you have a bad psu. If it does not you may have a faulty motherboard.

jAkUp
01-05-06, 11:53 AM
You can try the paperclip trick to see if it even powers on anymore.

roper512
01-05-06, 12:26 PM
Plugged my old antec back in and she powered up fine.. looks like everything works.. glad nothing got toasted..

Anyways, I'm going to call newegg and get a replacement PSU.. Maybe it was just a dud..

jAkUp
01-05-06, 12:31 PM
Yea, I know lee63 personally, and he has that same PSU... we swapped his PSU with that one and I know he has had 0 issues.

roper512
01-05-06, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the quick replies Jakup.. One other question:

Could it be that either the motherboard or perhaps even one of the video cards is bad and could be shorting the PSU or something? Or is that unlikely?

roper512
01-05-06, 03:55 PM
I just find it weird that my "inferior" antec 550watt will always power on again, whereas the silverstone turned off once and crapped out and wont start again..

I also find it weird that the silverstone was playing games that i could only play on my antec for 5 minutes for a good amount of time, yet turned off while playing world of warcraft (a game i could play nonstop on my antec)... TOO CONFUSING!!!

hopefully it was just a dud, i dont want to haev to RMA another one =/

lee63
01-05-06, 08:43 PM
Wow Im sorry this is happening, lets hope its a bad PSU,when we put the PC Power&cooling 510 SLi in jAkUp's rig he had no probs at all, his rig is the same as mine except for the mobo's,which leads me to believe its a mobo problem of some kind:confused: