PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 Rev. 3

Pages : [1] 2

Richteralan
01-05-06, 11:34 PM
I heard some bad words about NV silencer 5 for 6800/7800 series before that the RAM/core cannot touch the heatsink, so the thickness needs to be filed off a little bit....

Is this heatsink having this troubles still?

P.S. and oh yes, how it can compares with Zalman vf700 cu in a closed case. I used to have vf700 in an opened case and it was doing wonderful job.

Darkoz
01-06-06, 01:47 AM
Apparently that problem has been fixed with the rev. 3 Silencer, the RAM part of the heatsink now has some sort of thermal pads instead of just bare metal.
Although I prefer the Zalman V700Cu over the Silencer.

Richteralan
01-06-06, 09:52 AM
Apparently that problem has been fixed with the rev. 3 Silencer, the RAM part of the heatsink now has some sort of thermal pads instead of just bare metal.
Although I prefer the Zalman V700Cu over the Silencer.

I'm worrying that vf700 cannot ventilate the hot air out from the computer case......

Darkoz
01-06-06, 10:06 AM
I'm worrying that vf700 cannot ventilate the hot air out from the computer case......

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the Silencer ventilates bugger all air out of the case anyway, while the Zalman also cools the surrounding componets of your card.

radekhulan
01-06-06, 10:36 AM
I had both Zalman and NV5 Rev. 3, and have to say that Zalman is way inferior (worse cooling, louder, etc.). If you ever go SLI, NV5 Rev. 3 is a must, as SLI cannot be cooled otherwise (stock coolers are too loud).

I am running 2 7800GTXs at 520@1400 in SLI, and the temps in 3D never go above 75C.

http://hulan.cz/temp/sestava.jpg

Zalman is good for mainstream cards only, not for highend, as it leaves hot air inside your case.

911medic
01-06-06, 01:58 PM
If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get the Zalman. My NV5 fits just fine (it has the old metal RAM contacts), but it's difficult to clean. Collects lots of dust & crap inside, and compressed air cannot get it all out. Very silent tho. If you have adequate case ventilation I don't think the Zalman not venting air out of the case is an issue. If your case has poor airflow, you may be better off w/the NV5.

Darkoz
01-06-06, 05:30 PM
I had both Zalman and NV5 Rev. 3, and have to say that Zalman is way inferior (worse cooling, louder, etc.). If you ever go SLI, NV5 Rev. 3 is a must, as SLI cannot be cooled otherwise (stock coolers are too loud).

I am running 2 7800GTXs at 520@1400 in SLI, and the temps in 3D never go above 75C.

http://hulan.cz/temp/sestava.jpg

Zalman is good for mainstream cards only, not for highend, as it leaves hot air inside your case.

Honestly mate, do you actually believe those comments you made?.....because frankly, it's nonsense.

jp5612
01-06-06, 07:04 PM
After running both, my vote would go the Zalman

SquireSCA
01-06-06, 10:55 PM
I could not get the Arctic Cooling fans into my PC because my SLI mobo does not have enough space between the PCIe slots.

So I bought a $20 card cooler and simply bent the bracket at a 90 degree angle and screwed it to the rear panel of my case, so that it blows air between the cards, which allows the stock coolers to be far more efficient. Idle temps are 45C, full load tops out at about 70C, and the card dooler is almost silent at the lowerst setting.

Some pics to illustrate what I am talking about:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=8734995&uid=824011&members=1

Cheap, easy, and very effective, without having to worry about messing up the card or voiding the warranty.

Richteralan
01-07-06, 09:10 AM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions

Scunner
01-07-06, 09:21 AM
I've got two AC Silencer 5s, Rev 3 cooling my 7800GTX SLI. I didn't like the memory heatsinks that came with the Silencer (they just stick to the memory), so I just used the stock GTX sinks. I put thermal pads on the heatsink and secured it to the pcb using motherboard standoff screws on the front side, and complimentary screws on the rear.

Idle temps are 39. I've never seen load go over 65.

It can get a bit fiddly holding the motherboard standoff screws in place while you thread on the other screw, but I can assure you it works perfectly.

wheeljack12
01-07-06, 02:37 PM
I have a friend of which I sold my bfg 7800 gtx 256mb to him. For silent and better cooling he bought the nv silencer 5 rev. 3. He told me he had to either convert the power into molex or use a motherboard 3 pin connector, I am not sure. The question I have is: does anyone else have this problem with the rev. 3 where the power plug won't either fit or work with the video cards fan plug?

Wolfhound
01-07-06, 03:04 PM
Nope in my case I have 2 for my 2 geforce 6800GT and the thingy is plug to the vid card withour problems

Scunner
01-07-06, 08:31 PM
The question I have is: does anyone else have this problem with the rev. 3 where the power plug won't either fit or work with the video cards fan plug?

There was a known problem with some early retail copies of the Rev 3 where the red and black wires on the 3-pin power plug (it only has those 2 wires though) were reversed. This prevented the fan from powering up, and you could watch your card get hotter and hotter in XP. Not good.

The fix was simple; pop out each wire connector from inside the pin, and swap positions.

Boogalo
01-11-06, 09:42 AM
i just picked up one of these since my computer was in pieces awaiting a new PSU. do you need to put thermal compound between the pads and the memchips or is it fine as it is?

911medic
01-11-06, 10:07 AM
If you have the new version with the spongy thermal pads, you don't put thermal compound between them and the chips. They take the place of the thermal compound. If you have the older revisions where there were actual copper "pads" soldered to the main heatsink, you will need thermal compound then.

See this post (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=787182&postcount=140) to see what I mean.

Boogalo
01-11-06, 10:29 AM
yeah i have the rev. 3 with the sponge pads. i have it put together correctly. i guess there wouldn't be much benefit to putting arctic silver 5 between the pads and chips for a little bit better contact.

wheeljack12
01-11-06, 01:17 PM
it wasn't a reversed wire(s) from what I was told. he couldn't plug the fan into the card whatsoever. Bought a molex converter to fix the problem though.

There was a known problem with some early retail copies of the Rev 3 where the red and black wires on the 3-pin power plug (it only has those 2 wires though) were reversed. This prevented the fan from powering up, and you could watch your card get hotter and hotter in XP. Not good.

The fix was simple; pop out each wire connector from inside the pin, and swap positions.

theslug
01-14-06, 02:21 PM
yeah i have the rev. 3 with the sponge pads. i have it put together correctly. i guess there wouldn't be much benefit to putting arctic silver 5 between the pads and chips for a little bit better contact.

I've read that it's not a good idea to put AS5 on the ram because it is electrically conductive. Ceramique or alumina might be better.

Richteralan
01-14-06, 04:08 PM
I got my NV5 silencer Rev3 for my new eVGA 6800GS PCIe.
So far so good!
it's very quiet actually. The slow mode of silencer and vf700cu are both quiet, I would say vf700cu is more quieter and more efficient in slow mode.
In fast/full speed mode, vf700cu is a little more louder than silencer, and silencer seems to have better efficient in full speed mode.

David_L6
01-15-06, 02:53 PM
Arctic Cooling is JUNK! Don't expect them to honor the warranty they advertise either because they won't. I bought one and the fan didn't work - ended up throwing it away. I'll never again buy anything made by Arctic Cooling.

theslug
01-15-06, 08:23 PM
They still make good thermal compound...

einstein_314
01-15-06, 08:29 PM
Arctic Cooling is JUNK! Don't expect them to honor the warranty they advertise either because they won't. I bought one and the fan didn't work - ended up throwing it away. I'll never again buy anything made by Arctic Cooling.
And clearly because you had a problem with their service, everyone will...:rolleyes:

snowmanwithahat
01-16-06, 03:50 PM
Honestly mate, do you actually believe those comments you made?.....because frankly, it's nonsense.

i wouldn't take his word for it, they both cool about as well and the zalman atleast cools the little heatsink on the 6800's for the power regulators, where-as the silencer you ahve to actaully file it down! and as long as you have a case with decent ventilation, you won't have tow orry, i have 5x 80mm fans, that's it, 1 blowing in on my video card and 2 intakes in front, 2 exhaust in back, and it does a fine job on my 6800 GT which with the stock heatsink would get to 89C now it only hits 70C if it can cool a 6800 GT it can cool anything

thomasrm
02-07-06, 01:52 PM
Hello,
just wanted to add a comment about the NV Silenver 5 (Rev. 3).
I just fixed mine and when I started my computer I suddenly got Nvidia Sentinel telling me my gpu was overheating and was clocked down... I did put the screws on tight on the backside and the fan was blowing good. However I did notice that the pads from the heatsink missed maybe 1mm-3mm with their pads on some of the memory modules - could this be the reason?
also, when I took it off I saw that one corner of the GPU - 1/32 of the whole GPU - was without paste...

Well... Stupid as I was I took it off and assembled the old parts together and then my card went dead.... You can guess the mood I'm in right now....
When I put my geforce 6800 GS pcie into my computer there is no life on my computerscreen even thought the fan on the geforce runs...
Anyone knows if it is useless to try to put on the NV 5 on it again?

*sob*