PDA

View Full Version : Booting to Raid 0

InqWoN1776
01-07-06, 02:57 AM
I have installed WinXp Pro onto a raid 0 array(2 74gb raptors)... The deal is the only way i can boot into the OS is to have cdrom set as first boot device and wait for the os to load after it asks to press any key to boot from cd. I don't see where the raid 0 array is an option for a boot device. If I set it to hard drives with the raid array as 1st priority it gives me the disk boot error that you get when you leave a floppy in. It isn't the system listed in sig BTW

Wolfhound
01-07-06, 03:20 AM
In the bios you must have have an option to change device prority on boot, out it to HDD first, then you should have another option with HDD device priority on it, put the raid in first, if you are using nforce3 raid it probably shows as "nvidia RAID 0", see the photos in the Hard disk Priority menu you must assign your RAID to the "Ch0", and after in the boot devices options put HDD as first boot device.

Hope this helps you :)

http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1099027437DQDXhU9bbR_2_2_l.gif

http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1099027437DQDXhU9bbR_2_3_l.gif

InqWoN1776
01-07-06, 11:27 AM
I'm using an nforce 4 chipset btw... The only boot devices that are optional are the typical ones: removable, cdrom, hard disk, floppy, disabled. There isn't any kind of nvidia raid option but I have hard disk as first. I have the raid array listed first in the hard drive priority menu. It lists it as SCSI-0. The only thing I could see about channels was in the array itself. Where the first raptor is on channel 0 and second is on channel 1. I have the first one in the Sata1 port and second in the Sata2 port.

Wolfhound
01-07-06, 01:37 PM
I'm using an nforce 4 chipset btw... The only boot devices that are optional are the typical ones: removable, cdrom, hard disk, floppy, disabled. There isn't any kind of nvidia raid option but I have hard disk as first. I have the raid array listed first in the hard drive priority menu. It lists it as SCSI-0. The only thing I could see about channels was in the array itself. Where the first raptor is on channel 0 and second is on channel 1. I have the first one in the Sata1 port and second in the Sata2 port.

Ok then, you activate the raid for both disks?

wheeljack12
01-07-06, 02:44 PM
I just wanted to add about what wolfhound said. In the raid bios (it should a post screen showing the raid arrays, hit f10 to get in as you well know) did you set the raid 0 to be a bootable? At the bottom of the screen in the raid bios there is a option to push B to set boot. If you haven't done this, do this now. I am not sure if this will screw up the OS install because I think it writes a boot block to the array. Meaning you may have to reinstall the OS if this happens.

Wolfhound
01-07-06, 03:12 PM
I just wanted to add about what wolfhound said. In the raid bios (it should a post screen showing the raid arrays, hit f10 to get in as you well know) did you set the raid 0 to be a bootable? At the bottom of the screen in the raid bios there is a option to push B to set boot. If you haven't done this, do this now. I am not sure if this will screw up the OS install because I think it writes a boot block to the array. Meaning you may have to reinstall the OS if this happens.

You´re right sir, thank you for remind it ;)

InqWoN1776
01-07-06, 05:58 PM
I do have it set to be bootable but I can't remember if I did it before or after install... I think I'm going to start all over and reinstall windows. Yea, raid is enabled on both, I have a "healthy" raid 0 array, installed xp pro on it, but it won't boot straight to it.

wheeljack12
01-07-06, 11:15 PM
you probably did it after then. Because that boot writing is similar to a master boot record in the sense of how the board/OS see the array. I know from past experience when a raid isn't set to boot, either it's not shown in the motherboard bios or no OS loads. A healthy Raid array just means you have proper set up of the array in the raid bios along with cables and power. It doesn't mean it's a bootable array. You can have raid that is just storage and not used for OS. That is when you don't tell the raid bios to make it non-bootable.