PDA

View Full Version : Gaming only; widescreen or not?

Henno
01-07-06, 09:23 AM
Currently i have a 17" LCD and i'm lookin for something bigger. Now i wanted to know how widescreen feels like, so i fired up CSS windowed (1280x768 16:10) with a black bar top/bottom. Sitting very close to the screen should give me a widescreen feeling now.

But i'm not impressed..., i have the feeling more or less that i see the world through a mailbox opening. 4:3 gives me a more natural look. Is it me or do more people have this?

For movies etc. widescreen rules, ofcourse i know this, but for gaming i have my doubts.

Sazar
01-07-06, 09:34 AM
http://img433.imageshack.us/img433/1179/csdust5fi.th.jpg (http://img433.imageshack.us/my.php?image=csdust5fi.jpg)

If you play a game like CS which has a native widescreen support, you can see more on the screen at the same time. It is not stretched out.

It is impressive if you have a widescreen display and everything is shown natively rather than being made to look widescreen on a 4:3 display.

Consider the screenshot. I doubt I would personally ever go back to regular 4:3 gaming.

dandano
01-07-06, 12:23 PM
Widescreen is not widely supported in gaming. It is very nice for watching movies, and I do enjoy it, even on the games where my screen looks a little stretched. With nvidia, you can even set scaling so that it doesnt get stretched, you just have black bars on each side.

Other than Doom 3/Quake 4 and the Source games, I don't think anyone natively supports widescreen. (Painkiller?) Anyway, widescreengamingforum.com is the best place for info if you need it.

danh

Sazar
01-07-06, 01:00 PM
Quake 4 stretches it, unfortunately.

It looks the worst of any of the games I play which claims to have 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratios.

F.E.A.R. looks decent and the source engine has the best ws implementation IMO.

Monnie Rock
01-07-06, 04:57 PM
Henno,

I feel the same way that you do. I perfer 4:3 anyday since I do gaming and websurfing on my pc for the majority of the time. I have a 22" mitsubishi now and would love something bigger but NOT WIDESCREEN. I agree, to view most software through a "Mailbox slot" is just not my style.

I like my CRT and only would consider a TFT LCD if I could find a big 4:3 one. NEC makes one with 2048x1536 native and is 21.3". Not enough to make the move. Dell's new 30" is nice but back to widescreen uggghh