PDA

View Full Version : Is my card toast? Help please

RiciN
01-07-06, 10:18 PM
Hey all,

Just want to say I am a long time reader of these boards and never had to register until now. Well I think my card has died on me and just wanted to make sure. I loaded up cod2 and my monitor abruptly turned off and went into power save mode(blank monitor with orange power light). My system rebooted itself and after windows loaded my whole screen artifacted. I tried a few different things and everytime I got the same result. I can boot into safe mode...which pretty much makes me think my card is jacked. I also opened up my case and noticed alot of heat coming from my card.

Thanks in advance

Bowen
01-08-06, 05:48 AM
Did you notice if the fan on your video card is turning or not? One of my friends has a Radeon 9600XT and the fan on her card quit completely. She was wondering why the game spontaneously rebooted while playing WoW. I was amazed that it worked at all without a fan despite how much cooler 2D mode is.

It looks like your card is probably fried but you could make sure by using ATi Tool. Go here for the newest version 0.25b11: http://forums.techpowerup.com/archive/index.php/t-7103.html Don't worry it works for both ATi and nVidia cards. You want to Scan for Artifacts with it. If the card is fried, it either won't work at all or the program will freeze or your computer will spontaneously reboot. That's a sure sign your vid card is dying or died.

RiciN
01-08-06, 06:31 AM
Yea, it doesn't work at all...RMA time.

Bowen
01-08-06, 07:34 AM
Yup, I've had a video card go bad before. A TnT 2 Ultra went bad on me.

RiciN
01-08-06, 11:20 AM
This is the 2nd 6800 GT I've Had crap out on me in the past year. I really want to buy a 6800 GS but the AGP version will be a downgrade...looks like I have to buy a x800xt till I upgrade for g80.:(

Son Goku
01-08-06, 11:50 AM
It does sound like your card died. And if the fan died (not sure) that could quite well kill the card. I had a fan die on my old GF3 FX500, and there was simply no more video. Underneath that dead fan, the chip was visably burnt.

If this is the second one in 1 year, you should probably be able to get an RMA. It isn't like you had either card very long, and many cards come with a "lifetime" warranty, well to the original purchaser.

BTW, and just in case it is something like the fan, you might not want to buy one from that same board maker again. Not sure who's card you have, but I haven't heard of gfx cards dieing as often as this... They might be putting a crappy fan on that chip (compared to other board makers?), or who knows...

RiciN
01-08-06, 08:33 PM
Well the first one was a gainward 6800 gt GS and this one was a leadtek 6800 GT. It was the single slot cooler and had overheated on me before. The fan still moves so I think the core just gave out on me. I went ahead and bought a evga 6800 gs and a pci-ex mobo. Costed the same as a x800xt anyways-I'll just sell my RMA. Thanks for help fellas