PDA

View Full Version : Slave 7800GTX not being recognised?

DoomUK
01-08-06, 07:02 AM
All of a sudden, my slave 7800 GTX is not being recognised. Upon booting my OS I get an error report saying something alongs the lines of:-

"Your system's config currently prevents the use of SLI"

Specs in sig. My own thoughts are that it could be my (600W OCZ) PSU on it's way out...

agentkay
01-08-06, 07:13 AM
This sucks. Have you tried to run each in solo mode to make sure they both work properly? If they do work, then its either the PSU or your mobo. GL!

DoomUK
01-08-06, 07:18 AM
Tried that, both cards work fine. Also happens with multiple driver rev's. My PSU voltages 12V/3.3V/5V are stable, btw...

:(

agentkay
01-08-06, 07:30 AM
At least the cards are fine. I would be kinda surprised if it was the PSU, OCZ makes quite decent ones plus your voltages are stable. Seems to be your mobo thats the culprit here or do you think it might be the SLI bridge? I definitly had cases where low cost parts failed although they looked visually perfectly fine but then again I never heard that SLI bridges ever failed before.

You could try to install Sandra or Everest and see if they report anything strange. Sorry I donīt have any more ideas at this point.

DoomUK
01-08-06, 07:59 AM
Basically, the master PCI-E slot is running @ 8x lanes, i.e in SLI mode. But devide manager refuses to recognise the slave GTX (IRQ 19 is abundant).

n0trix
01-08-06, 09:25 AM
What says the asus AI Selector and the bios??

DoomUK
01-08-06, 11:13 AM
What says the asus AI Selector
Set to 'Dual Video Card'
and the bios??
SLI mode set to 'Auto' (default). Setting it to 'Dual' makes no difference (see below, however).

It seems to be OK for the time being. Swapped the cards around, tried a couple of soft restarts and it hasn't come up with the error message yet.
The problem seems to be due to different BIOS revs: Curious to note that with card B in the primary PCI-E slot (formerly in the slave slot), the video BIOS info shows up upon POST, whereas it never appeared with card A in the primary slot. The label on the back of both cards says both BIOS revs are the same (5.70.02.11.01), however the (Forceware 81.98) drivers tell me that the BIOS rev in use is 5.70.02.11.10. So, what I need to do is flash one of the BIOS's with the other version. Problem is I've never tried flashing a video card BIOS before, if someone could lend me a hand I'd be most gratefull :).

Fathertime36
01-08-06, 11:37 AM
I'm assuming 'Gigabyte' has a decennt support network, if so you should be able to go to their site and be able to find bios there for your vga's, I have an evga but I think it is pretty much routine across the board for updating bios, they should have a bios download in zip format, you dl it, throw a floppy into your drive and format it, then create a bootable flash floppy, there should be a simple exe inside of the zip file btw, leave this 'flash' floppy in the the drive and reboot, it should flash the card's bios, ummm you have to do one card at a time btw.....pretty simple operation if gigabyte has good bios formats availible....if not maybe you can use bios from other vendors like bfg or evga....not too sure though...sorry.

agentkay
01-08-06, 11:45 AM
Let me c&p the readme from Nvflash 5.13:

GeForce 6 & 7 Flash Procedures.

- Flashing with nvFlash (nVidia) - Use nvFlash 5.13
Standard Procedure for 5.13: (flashing with 5.13 is recommended for the use with the 6x00 series NVIDIA cards,
using the -4 switch forces flash and overrides vender mismatch)

1. a:nvflash -5 file.rom [Enter]

Standard Flash (same card, same firmware)

2. a:nvflash -5 -6 file.rom [Enter]

Standard Flash (same card, same firmware)

3. a:nvlfash -4 -5 -6 file.rom [Enter]

Force Flash (different model card, different firmware)

4. a:nvlfash -4 -5 -6 -a -y file.rom [Enter]

Automatic Force/Blind Flash (In case you screw up and cant see the screen - best to use this string for a
autoexec.bat)

It is highly recommended to use nvFlash over anything else when flashing NVIDIA cards. Flashing from a
Bootable CD is not recommended. If you don't have a floppy, buy one, they are in-expensive while saving loads
of hassles on some system configurations.

*Important* If you are using softmods and other tweaking applications, uninstall them prior to flashing.
This goes for Riva Tuner and others. Why? Because most people flash, leaving those programs resident, so
those utilities, try to force the video card to those saved settings in software and that causes problems
for a card with a fresh flash or a new device ID.

*Remember* To always change out the drivers after a flash, most people forget this and then wonder why the
drivers are giving them problems or why they get strange effects in there games. Always re-install the
drivers and turn off any anti-virus before doing so. Rename the file to something thats easy to remember
and point the string path too.

PaiN
01-08-06, 12:09 PM
That's it! I officially hate the Asus A8N-SLI Prem......I have the same problem the Asus seems to be ramdomly shutting off my SLI, it, also won't do 1T above 225 FSB and not my Aud2 has gone unstable(something its never done on any other board and I've had it for years)...... :x

DoomUK
01-08-06, 02:10 PM
Brilliant, succesfully flashed to .10. Thanks for the help guys :)

Isn't it a little strange that I haven't noticed more glitches than this before while using different revs?...

Lfctony
01-08-06, 02:54 PM
That's it! I officially hate the Asus A8N-SLI Prem......I have the same problem the Asus seems to be ramdomly shutting off my SLI, it, also won't do 1T above 225 FSB and not my Aud2 has gone unstable(something its never done on any other board and I've had it for years)...... :x

Regarding the Audigy 2, I'm pretty sure it's not the A8N's problem, it's rather a general NF4 problem with Audigy 2. I had the same problem with my MSI motherboard, and it persists on my A8N-E, but it worked fine on my P4P800 and it still does now that I've put it back. My older Audigy works fine with the NF4 though.