PDA

View Full Version : Networking Troubles

six_storm
01-08-06, 10:54 AM
Ok, I've got 2 Linksys routers that will not work together for some reason. One of the routers is a B+G Wireless Router (downstairs in my parents office) and the other is a Compact Wireless G Router (upstairs in my room). We hooked the big one up first last night only to find that it gave my desktop a phony IP addy (169.254.53.19) instead of an addy like (192.168.1.2). I tried accessing the router via web browser but I can't even access the firmware. If you were to get on the wireless laptop, you can though and very easily.

Well, I tried to hook up my compact wireless router and it's doing the same thing to my desktop and iBook. I thought that there would be an IP conflict but I've changed the routers IP addy and addy range (hope that made sense). What the heck am I doing wrong?

I've also tried static IP addys but that didn't work either. Also, my dad has tried using the Cd that came with it but it quits whenever you plug up the other router.

Nutty
01-08-06, 12:20 PM
Ideally you want both your routers on the same address space. Otherwise depending what your lan netmask is you wont be able to access it.

Set one to 192.168.1.2, and the other to 192.168.1.3.
Your lan netmask is typically 255.255.255.0

six_storm
01-08-06, 01:46 PM
Ideally you want both your routers on the same address space. Otherwise depending what your lan netmask is you wont be able to access it.

Set one to 192.168.1.2, and the other to 192.168.1.3.
Your lan netmask is typically 255.255.255.0

See, I've tried that because that is the only conflict I can see. Even if you hook up a desktop PC straight to the router and try to access the firmware (web browser way), it doesn't work.

Guess I'ma try fiddlin with it some more.

Nutty
01-08-06, 02:05 PM
If you just got a PC----Router, and got pc using get IP from DHCP, and cant see it, sounds like the routers duff.

Does the PC get an IP from the router ?

six_storm
01-08-06, 02:36 PM
Yeah everything is setup for DHCP. It should plug up and go on its own but it's not. I suspected a faulty router but 2 of them? Geez . . .