PDA

View Full Version : wait for 85 drivers!?!? (Pure Video)

Shamrock
01-08-06, 10:34 PM
http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=3486

just spotted the following on BitTech: NVIDIA has shown off H.264 video decoding using its GeForce cards for the first time, today.

We were able to watch a GeForce 7800 use its GPU processing power to decode 20mbit, 1080p high definition content encoded with the H.264 standard. With the GeForce running at full throttle, CPU usage was throttled back to below 50%.

NVIDIA took some time out to explain their strategy for high-definition decoding - a strategy which will click into place in just a couple of months, with the release of ForceWare version 85.

H.264 is the codec used by both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, and at a high bitrate such as 20mbit, most CPUs struggle to decode at full speed.

The GeForce video engine
GeForce 6 and 7 GPUs all have a video engine built into them. The engine, powered by the PureVideo software, will get an upgrade in ForceWare 85 that will enable the H.264 decoding. Most GPUs from the 6600GT and upwards will be able to handle full bitrate, 1080p content, according to NVIDIA.

The quality of the acceleration depends directly on the speed of the GPU. At 300MHz, the acceleration is going to be minimal. As you scale on up towards 500MHz GPU clock speed, acceleration gets to the point where less than 50% CPU is being used to deliver full speed playback.

Avivo?
This is different from ATI's Avivo technology, which decodes H.264 video on Radeon X1000 series cards. Avivo uses pixel shaders to decode the video, and this places a limitation on what cards can handle what resolutions. The X1300 can handle 480p H.264 video, the X1600 can handle 720p and the X1800 can handle 1080p.

In contrast, the integrated graphics chipset GeForce 6150 can handle 720p, whilst 6600GT, 6800, 7600 and 7800 cards can all do 1080p.

Laptops

Because the PureVideo update in ForceWare 85 is backwards compatible, it means that existing users will be able to upgrade to this functionality. Since the video codec is being used in HD-DVD, NVIDIA were able to demonstrate a notebook using GPU acceleration to deliver HD-DVD, which we've shown you below.

The new version of PureVideo will also hardware accelerate VC1, the codec powering Microsoft's WMV HD.

We can't wait to get our hands on ForceWare 85 and start doing some direct comparisons between the new PureVideo and Avivo.

retsam
01-08-06, 11:19 PM
nice find!!..so i take it this will work with the 6xxx series!!

TierMann
01-09-06, 02:19 AM
Unless you've got a cripled one. *raises his hand*

Shamrock
01-09-06, 02:22 AM
whilst 6600GT, 6800, 7600 and 7800 cards can all do 1080p.

I would say it will, they specified 6800!

Peoples-Agent
01-09-06, 03:58 AM
My previous card, a 6800GT couldn't decode anything other than MPEG-2.
Borked Video Accelarator... as more most if not all AGP ones.

sharangad
01-09-06, 06:36 AM
This was already posted in another thread:

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2665&p=2

The 6600GT lowered CPU utilisation in a 1080p clip down to 50%.

They did say that you needed a Cyberlink, Intervideo or Nero codec to actually make use of the acceleration. nVidia will have their own new and improved PureVideo hardware accelerated decoder to buy.

911medic
01-09-06, 07:08 AM
My previous card, a 6800GT couldn't decode anything other than MPEG-2.
Borked Video Accelarator... as more most if not all AGP ones.Yep...the original NV40-based AGP 6800 series cards all had video processors with limited functionality. Great for us "early adopters!" The later PCI-Express boards (NV45) did not.

I don't imagine this driver release is going to magically fix this.

EDIT: Although, I do find this statement interesting: NVIDIA has finally provided us with a working demo of the technology and they have also committed to us that it will work on all GeForce 6 and 7 GPUs (AGP and PCIe).Combined with the statement about it needing only the driver and a compatible version of WinDVD, PowerDVD, or Nero (no mention of requiring the PureVideo Decoder), and it's starting to look interesting...

ekloot1978
01-09-06, 09:40 AM
Hopefully Nvidia gives us some concrete info about whether or not the h.264 decoding will work for us AGP 6800 users. After the whole video processor fiasco months back where no one could get an answer if WMV would be accelerated...I think we are owed a direct answer this time so we don't have to wait around and wonder if our cards will accelerate h.264 video too.

Richteralan
01-09-06, 10:39 AM
Yep...the original NV40-based AGP 6800 series cards all had video processors with limited functionality. Great for us "early adopters!" The later PCI-Express boards (NV45) did not.

I don't imagine this driver release is going to magically fix this.

EDIT: Although, I do find this statement interesting: Combined with the statement about it needing only the driver and a compatible version of WinDVD, PowerDVD, or Nero (no mention of requiring the PureVideo Decoder), and it's starting to look interesting...

The NV45 is actually just NV40+HSI.
So NV45 still suffers from borked OVP.

911medic
01-09-06, 11:25 AM
OK, so ALL the 6800 owners out there got the screwed up video processor. Misery loves company!

Gentle
01-09-06, 11:52 AM
So, uh...

1) Does this take the place of the purevideo decoder they were selling?

2) I am a Windows 2000 Professional user, and as such, I don't have an option to upgrade to Windows Media Player 10. This is a requirement for the purevideo decoder. If this takes the place of purevideo, will I be able to use it as I don't have Windows Media Player 10 ?

3) I am a 6600GT AGP user it uses an HSI. Will this be an issue as well?

Thank you.

Gentle

ViN86
01-09-06, 01:20 PM
im confused as to how this will work with AGP cards, as the majority of the bandwidth is one directional. the down stream to the card is much larger than the up stream from the card. as opposed to PCIe where all the data is fully bi-directional.\

unless, sending the data back to the RAM/CPU isnt necessary?

sharangad
01-09-06, 03:02 PM
So, uh...

1) Does this take the place of the purevideo decoder they were selling?

2) I am a Windows 2000 Professional user, and as such, I don't have an option to upgrade to Windows Media Player 10. This is a requirement for the purevideo decoder. If this takes the place of purevideo, will I be able to use it as I don't have Windows Media Player 10 ?

3) I am a 6600GT AGP user it uses an HSI. Will this be an issue as well?

Thank you.

Gentle

They will have their own H264 PureVideo decoder, like the current MPEG-2 PureVideo decoder. But as Anandtech points out (http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2665&p=2) it will work with Cyberlink's PowerDVD, Intervideo's WinDVD and Nero's own thing with a special codec ( proly sold separately like the current ATi supporting Cyberlink codec. ).

The press release on the Cyberlink site at http://www.cyberlink.com/eng/press_room/view_960.html indicates that Cyberlink will support H264. The image at Anandtech shows WinDVD 7 ( or 6, the latest version ) playing back H264 on a 6600 GT.

The article at Bit-Tech seemed to imply that nVidia will provide their own new and improved codecs which'll accelerate both MPEG-2 HD as the current PureVideo decoder does as well as WMV HD and H264.

PureVideo works fine with WMP9 under Win2k.

We'll find out soon enough.

sharangad
01-09-06, 03:09 PM
BTW, the Bit-Tech article appears to be wrong (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/01/07/nvidia_decode_h264/). They indicate at the bottom that the Toshiba Quosimo notebook with a HD DVD drive is decoding H264 with a 7800. However, the AnandTech picture at http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2665&p=3 states that this laptop comes with a 7600 card and not a 7800. Unless they have models with both cards and I'm completely wrong.

smurfer
01-09-06, 04:09 PM
Since the 81.85's I've been playing all my recorded HD content in 1080p and 1080i, with a PX 6800 GT even all my games are in Hi Def, been at it for about three years as far as games. I just hooked up an XFX 7800 GT to my Syntax HVE 37" I posted some screenies of Moto GP2 @ 1920x1080p at Guru, AVS, and HiDef forums. And I don't know what the big deal is about H.264 I've been playing QT clips using QTplayer and I watch all my rec HDTV shows using PDVD anyway I never got sucked into the nVidia codec cause I don't use WMP it's so lame it's only good for mpg1 and music that's it. I play my DVD's upconverted from 480i to 1080p and my AMD doesn't even break a sweat running .ts or WMV HD clips using PDVD. Cpu usage is around 30 or under now when I run a QT clip in 1080p uusing QT player I get anywhere from 40 to 80% cpu usage it's never hit 100 but it does fluctuate but seems to settle around 40/70% but playback is very acceptable using QT. Playback using PDVD and viewing recorded .ts content "via firewire" in 1920x1080i I get less than 30% cpu usage and playback is prety much flawless I'm only pushing it with a 3500 Winnie not even overclocked on an upconversion from 1080i. Of course my XFX is @ 469/1.05 so I'm sure that helps. Iin Moto GP I easily get 60 fps using 81.89's with no drops and perfect Hi Def game play @ 1920x1080p. But on a 37" there really is no difference in PQ for 1080p mto look right it has to be on a 50" or over screen, but your going for frame rates when gaming.;)

j0j081
01-09-06, 09:56 PM
so when will this be out?

RanCorX2
01-10-06, 06:52 AM
yea are we getting some new drivers soon?

SLippe
01-10-06, 04:34 PM
This all sounds cool and all, but not sure how it will effect me. I use PowerDVD. How can I tell it my 6800 GT works at this moment or not? Kinda new to this video thing, but so far, everthing I play runs fine, but I don't run any HD stuff either, so... I'm lost. I can't wait for the 85.xx set though...woohoo!

Gentle
01-11-06, 12:39 PM
PureVideo works fine with WMP9 under Win2k.

From the Nvidia website...

NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder System Requirements

Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Professional, or Windows XP Home Edition
DirectX 9.0 or higher
Windows Media Center or Windows Media® Player 9.0 or higher for DVD Playback
DirectShow compatible software for MPEG-2 file playback
DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) compatible graphics processor supports, such as NVIDIA GeForce4™ series, GeForce FX series, GeForce 6 series, or GeForce 7 series

Looking at the requirements above, I am seeing Windows XP as a requirement.

Are you saying it is not?

I tried to use Windows Media Player 9 to play a DVD and I can't get anything to happen, DVD's just aren't an option with Windows Media Player 9. This would appear to be a Windows Media Player issue rather than an Nvidia issue, do you know what is the reasoning behind that?

Maybe I'm just not getting the "concept" here. Windows Media Player 9 won't play DVD's, Purevideo works on DVD's, right? How can I watch a DVD and get Purevideo benefits from Windows Media Player 9 on Windows 2000 Professional?

Gentle

sharangad
01-11-06, 02:18 PM
From the Nvidia website...

NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder System Requirements

Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Professional, or Windows XP Home Edition
DirectX 9.0 or higher
Windows Media Center or Windows Media® Player 9.0 or higher for DVD Playback
Looking at the requirements above, I am seeing Windows XP as a requirement.

Are you saying it is not?

Gentle

WMP9 plays back DVDs if you have a codec. I use Win2k with WMP9 at work with the PureVideo decoder and did manage test an MPEG-2 file ( I have wound up buying two licenses, once for the Bronze and later when they introduced the better versions the Platinum ). I'm pretty sure it'll be able to playback DVDs ( I think I tested it once ) though I dunno if all the hardware features will be used. I only have an FX5200 at work.

Gentle
01-11-06, 03:44 PM
O.k. I found an mpeg-2 video file and see that Purevideo system tray icon. I know it works then.

However, I don't see any way to play DVD's in Windows Media Player 9, and I believe I have a DVD codec as I've used PowerDVD on this machine recently to play DVD's.

Gentle

xgman
01-12-06, 01:09 PM
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=166830

sharangad
01-12-06, 02:57 PM
O.k. I found an mpeg-2 video file and see that Purevideo system tray icon. I know it works then.

However, I don't see any way to play DVD's in Windows Media Player 9, and I believe I have a DVD codec as I've used PowerDVD on this machine recently to play DVD's.

Gentle

You put a DVD in the drive and the go to file\open in WMP9 and select the Video_TS.IFO file in the VIDEO_TS folder.