PDA

View Full Version : What settings should I run for Q4?

GuOD
01-09-06, 10:51 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm a little confused as to what settings I should be able to run in Q4. I also can't seem to change antialiasing in game - it always turns off after I reboot the game.

system specs:

2.5ghz 1mb cache x2
250mhz 3-4-4-8ram 2gb ram
490/1320 gtx SLI (256mb)
1920x1200 resolution.

I tried running Q4 using all high and Vsync on and then in the nvidia control panel I put 4x AA and multisampling for transparcny AA. But the game runs REALLY laggy at certain parts.. like when I open a door it comes almost 15 fps but in the middle of a firefight with bad guys it seems to run perfectly fine. I don't know what's cuasing the problem. SLI is locked on predefined. Also, should I be configuring all my games through the control panel? Like, if I change it to 4x AA and DONT chekc the box, does it still apply it?

I scored 12700 in 3dmark05.

Thanks for all the help!! I wanna play this game so badly with all th eye candy!

Edit: OH sorry I forgot to add. Nothing in-game has changed since I upgraded to dual core/SLI .. it's just slower now :(

agentkay
01-09-06, 11:07 AM
If a game has a setting for AA/AF (ingame), then leave the Nvidia control panel to application-controlled, but if the game doesnīt have these settings, then you can enable them thru the Nvidia control panel. Quake has settings for both AA (ingame), and AF (cfg file) and to make them stick, I would I would set the cfg file attributes to read-only if it should keep changing the settings.

How much ram do you have? For Ultra Quality you need a 512MB video card, but you might get away with it if you have 2GB Ram, but thats really about personal preferance, some people donīt mind small hicups, and others need to be completely stutter free.

Since you have a dual core, you need to install the beta Q4 dual core patch, and make sure you have the dual core driver and Windows fix installed. If you have all that, you should see a decent gain in performance as well.

If you have 2GB, you should be able to play the game at 1920x1200 with 16AF and at least 2AA at Ultra Quality and driver set to HQ. If you experience many hicups caused by HDD reloads, change the game to High Quality. You can enable the flashlight shadows manually thru an edit of a config file, check the thread in this section, its on Page 2. The visual difference between UQ and HQ settings is very small, far less irritating than hicups or stutters. Just experient and find the best setting for yourself.

GuOD
01-09-06, 11:14 AM
I'm not quite sure what video quality it's set to. Once I changed my resolution in the config file it went all weird in game I believe. I didn't set it to ultra though (only high).

Where can I find the cfg parameters for AA and AF? That was my original plan but I didn't see them anywhere. Also, what should I do with transparency AA?

I downloaded the hotfix and installed it. I also created the Dword with a value of 0 to disable (I think I'm supposed to keep it as a 0 value?) and I have proc drivers/ 1.0.5 quake patch.

oops sorry, i updated my ram values. and yep 2gb

If a game has a setting for AA/AF (ingame), then leave the Nvidia control panel to application-controlled, but if the game doesn´t have these settings, then you can enable them thru the Nvidia control panel. Quake has settings for both AA (ingame), and AF (cfg file) and to make them stick, I would I would set the cfg file attributes to read-only if it should keep changing the settings.

How much ram do you have? For Ultra Quality you need a 512MB video card, but you might get away with it if you have 2GB Ram, but thats really about personal preferance, some people don´t mind small hicups, and others need to be completely stutter free.

Since you have a dual core, you need to install the beta Q4 dual core patch, and make sure you have the dual core driver and Windows fix installed. If you have all that, you should see a decent gain in performance as well.

eli
01-09-06, 11:25 AM
bring down the consoe=ctrl alt +` key ( the one next to 1)
type seta com_allowconsole 1
after this pressing the button next to 1 brings up the console.
for AA type r_multisamples x x=the value you want
for anisio= image_anisotropy x x= the value you want.
typing the command without the value tells you what the current setting is, for example type r_multisample press return and the value is shown:)
Also check out tweakguides.com for Q4 settings and commands.

agentkay
01-09-06, 11:28 AM
Check this post of mine:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=726708&postcount=21

I bascially wrote about the differences of the settings/values between "High Quality" and "Ultra Quality" and how to enable the cool flashlight shadows in HQ mode. In this same file (Quake4Config.cfg) you can find the setting for AF, but I am almost 99% sure that you can find the settings for AA as well (called multisample or something like that). If you want to use TAA, then you might have to disable AA ingame, and change/adjust it inside Nvidias control panel. You will run most likely into problems or artifacts as soon as you enable it both ingame and in the control panel.

GuOD
01-09-06, 12:31 PM
thanks agentkay I will take a look at that later tonight.

I tried using the console and disabled those items ingame and controlled it using nv control panel..

I'm still droping into the 20fps range at times and only averaging about 40fps in some place with 2x AA, 1x AF, no TSAA. It seems really weird.

agentkay
01-09-06, 12:42 PM
Thats weird for sure. You have the latest drivers (video, mobo,gart) installed? Try to disable vsync and see if it improves FPS and try to enable this green SLI bar thingy that shows you if both cards are working properly in SLI mode. I agree with you that framerate should definitly be higher.

GuOD
01-09-06, 02:13 PM
Well I finally got it working. Thanks a lot for all the help. Strangely when i enabled the green bar SLI stopped working.. no idea just something went funny (my fps was halved) so I rebooted, and I set the profile to ingame settings, and I'm running @ 2x AA , 8x AF without problems @1920x1200.

Thanks again! I also disabled "usecache" (previously I had it set to 1)