PDA

View Full Version : Socket M2/AM2 and next nFORCE platform?

Pages : [1] 2

superklye
01-09-06, 03:04 PM
All right, seriouslyÖwhatís the deal with this CPU? I Googled it, got this article from Anand, which proved to be the most informativeóand it told me nothing I didnít already know.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2587

Then, I found this Inq. article (so take it with a grain of salt) saying that the socket is now AM2 and features not only new CPUs, but the old ones refreshed for DDR2 support.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28367

It also says that the FX-62 is going to be a measly 67MHz faster than the FX-60, but thatís because the base HTT speed is going up to 333Mhz. Whether thatís just for the FX series or the entire AM2 series isnít specified. It also isnít specified if that means the overall speed of HTT is going from 1000/2000 up to 1665/3330 or if itís staying with a lower multiplier to keep it under 1000/2000, which would be somewhat false advertising as a speed increase. Sure, the RAM is going to be faster because DDR2 inherently runs faster, but itís not as though the system has anymore bandwidth if still at 1000/2000.

And finally, new socket means new motherboard right? I Googled for info on nFORCE5 boards (I REALLY donít want to do this crap site maintenance today, heh), and all I came up with was the Intel SLi boards. I tried nFORCE6 and that gave me nothing.

So, AM2 is set to begin production in Q2 í06 and be out by April or May, but we have yet to hear anything about a new mobo to support them. Something seems fishy about all of this.

jolle
01-09-06, 03:34 PM
Maybe they wont need a new platform for it, I think any info on a new chipset would still be going under the Crush codename, dont usually new Nforce chipsets do that until they are officially named?
Anyhow the ULi based board from ASrock promises M2 support on a expansion board that will become available when the CPUs are, so the chipset ULi put out already supports it apparantly.

EDIT
They acctually mention the new Nforce chipset in that Anand link, they refered to this article:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2584

NVIDIA's roadmaps also extensively refer to the new MCP55. MCP55 s almost identical to MCP51, although we do know it has an additional gigabit PHY and 28 PCIe lanes. This still isn't enough to support x16 SLI without a CK804 or MCP51 acting as a southbridge, unfortunately, so MCP55 will still need to be paired with an MCP51 or CK804 in order to provide true dual x16 support.

Our initial roadmaps claimed MCP55 would show up right around Cebit 2006, which made sense considering we had also heard Socket M2 would launch then. However, these newest NVIDIA roadmaps claim that MCP55 won't show up on motherboards until late Q2'06; right in the June/July timeframe. Unless AMD is planning to launch Socket M2 on a VIA chipset exclusively for three months (I'll give you a hint, they won't) don't expect AMD DDR2 processors to launch at Cebit anymore. Low end C51PV and MCP51 chipsets will also launch right around the same timeframe specifically for Socket M2 Sempron.

Nutty
01-09-06, 04:17 PM
I heard SoundStorm is coming back on the next nForce boards.

superklye
01-09-06, 04:20 PM
Maybe they wont need a new platform for it, I think any info on a new chipset would still be going under the Crush codename, dont usually new Nforce chipsets do that until they are officially named?
Anyhow the ULi based board from ASrock promises M2 support on a expansion board that will become available when the CPUs are, so the chipset ULi put out already supports it apparantly.

EDIT
They acctually mention the new Nforce chipset in that Anand link, they refered to this article:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2584
Heh, I COMPLETELY skimmed over that link. Thanks.

And that'd be sweet if SoundStorm came back, but I'm not ditching my X-Fi for ANYTHING.

Nutty
01-09-06, 04:23 PM
Heh, I COMPLETELY skimmed over that link. Thanks.

And that'd be sweet if SoundStorm came back, but I'm not ditching my X-Fi for ANYTHING.

X-FI pff. I'll take the chip that can actually do Dolby Live encoding for a fraction of the price of the overpriced Creative bollox. ;)

superklye
01-09-06, 04:35 PM
X-FI pff. I'll take the chip that can actually do Dolby Live encoding for a fraction of the price of the overpriced Creative bollox. ;)
*Cranks up 24-bit Crystallizer*

What's that? I can't hear you over this amazing sound!

Nutty
01-09-06, 05:12 PM
Wheres AlphaWolf when you need him. ;) I'm sure he said Crystallizer was rubbish.

superklye
01-09-06, 05:14 PM
Wheres AlphaWolf when you need him. ;) I'm sure he said Crystallizer was rubbish.
Pfft. What does he know? Don't knock it 'til you've been blown away by it. ;)

Nutty
01-09-06, 05:16 PM
Meh. CD's sound good enuff to me and they're 16bit.. I'm sure Crystaliser incorrectly smudges and interpolates between samples which is wrong anyway.

Besides which the only main feature I want is Dolby Encoding, which considering how much X-FI costs, is absolutely daylight robbery Creative dont do it, when a 5 year old Xbox chip costing tuppence can do it piece of piss!

ViN86
01-09-06, 05:34 PM
It also says that the FX-62 is going to be a measly 67MHz faster than the FX-60, but thatís because the base HTT speed is going up to 333Mhz. Whether thatís just for the FX series or the entire AM2 series isnít specified. It also isnít specified if that means the overall speed of HTT is going from 1000/2000 up to 1665/3330 or if itís staying with a lower multiplier to keep it under 1000/2000, which would be somewhat false advertising as a speed increase. Sure, the RAM is going to be faster because DDR2 inherently runs faster, but itís not as though the system has anymore bandwidth if still at 1000/2000.
the boost up to 333 is probably just to keep the DDR2 at 1:1 with the chip, so the standard DDR2 speed will probably be DDR2-667 (PC5400). if they bump up the HTT speed, that might not even offer much of a performance increase, so they will probably just leave it at 1000/2000

the rename is probably just to distinguish the sockets. this makes logical sense to me, let me know if it doesnt sound right :o

superklye
01-09-06, 06:08 PM
the boost up to 333 is probably just to keep the DDR2 at 1:1 with the chip, so the standard DDR2 speed will probably be DDR2-667 (PC5400). if they bump up the HTT speed, that might not even offer much of a performance increase, so they will probably just leave it at 1000/2000
Yeah, that's what I figured. Sucks it won't be DDR2-800. Ah well.

the rename is probably just to distinguish the sockets. this makes logical sense to me, let me know if it doesnt sound right :o
What do you mean? What rename? M2 --> AM2?

jAkUp
01-09-06, 07:06 PM
It may still support DDR2 800 at a certain HT:MEM ratio.

superklye
01-09-06, 08:02 PM
Well yeah, I'm sure you can OC it to support it, just like you can OC and support DDR550 RAM with current Athlons, but it doesn't support it natively which sucks. Ah well. The bad side of an integrated memory controller.

jAkUp
01-09-06, 08:04 PM
Well, what I mean is nativly support it. The ability to run memory frequencies higher than the HTT speed, yea you can always overclock, but I'm talking about running stock.

Many Intel boards natively support DDR800 speeds by increasing the multiplier on the memory.

superklye
01-09-06, 08:21 PM
Well, what I mean is nativly support it. The ability to run memory frequencies higher than the HTT speed, yea you can always overclock, but I'm talking about running stock.

Many Intel boards natively support DDR800 speeds by increasing the multiplier on the memory.
Ooohhh! Gotcha.

borntosoul
01-09-06, 10:13 PM
it will need a different platform, called socket 940.
its probably a bit strange we dont have much info ATM since this processor is supposed to come out in 6 months or less.
also i read that the M2 x2 cpus will start at 4200 and they will have the same clock as the 3800 has now - seems strange to me, thats a lot to make up just from memory speed.

superklye
01-09-06, 11:35 PM
Yeah, they'll go from 4200-5200 at launch...the 4200 is said to be the same as the 3800 in terms of speed and price, which should be sweet.

Hopefully when AM2 launches, the 939 X2s come WAY down in price. :D

bkswaney
01-10-06, 12:15 AM
All right, seriouslyÖwhatís the deal with this CPU? I Googled it, got this article from Anand, which proved to be the most informativeóand it told me nothing I didnít already know.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2587

Then, I found this Inq. article (so take it with a grain of salt) saying that the socket is now AM2 and features not only new CPUs, but the old ones refreshed for DDR2 support.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28367

And finally, new socket means new motherboard right? I Googled for info on nFORCE5 boards (I REALLY donít want to do this crap site maintenance today, heh), and all I came up with was the Intel SLi boards. I tried nFORCE6 and that gave me nothing.

So, AM2 is set to begin production in Q2 í06 and be out by April or May, but we have yet to hear anything about a new mobo to support them. Something seems fishy about all of this.

My mobo is ready to run it now with a cheap addon card.
That's a reason I went with this mobo. More future proof. ;)
I love the fact that I do not have to buy a new mobo again
this year. :D (nana2)

Monnie Rock
01-10-06, 12:30 AM
Thought you guys might like this chart. Cheers

AMD Roadmap (http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/)

superklye
01-10-06, 12:38 AM
Thought you guys might like this chart. Cheers

AMD Roadmap (http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/)
Whoa...sweet deal.

Looks like the 4200 is actually going to be 2.333GHz. And they are FINALLY going to break the 3.0GHz barrior officially with the FX-64. It's about damned time. :p

I'm still a little upset they changed from odd numbers for the FX line.

Monnie Rock
01-10-06, 01:28 AM
I will not be upset when I snap in my FX-60. even or odd

Wish Fx-60 was 6.0 2x3.0ghz hehehe

nutball
01-10-06, 01:40 AM
it will need a different platform, called socket 940.

Huh? Socket 940 already exists (it's what Opterons plug in to). I was under the impression that Socket AM2 = Socket M2 = Socket 1206.

bkswaney
01-10-06, 02:51 AM
Huh? Socket 940 already exists (it's what Opterons plug in to). I was under the impression that Socket AM2 = Socket M2 = Socket 1206.

Yep.... 940 is old now. "lol"
New one is M2.

939 is about to make the way of the 754.

superklye
01-10-06, 08:37 AM
No. M2 = AM2 = 940, but it's a different pin configuration than the existing 940.

1206 is the new socket for Opterons.

ViN86
01-10-06, 06:18 PM
What do you mean? What rename? M2 --> AM2?
nah, i mean the rename of FX-60 to FX-62