PDA

View Full Version : Patch released! overly shiny cube maps fixed!

sirplayalot
01-09-06, 08:53 PM
http://steampowered.com/index.php?area=news&id=498

I know it says ATI cards but reports on their forums indicate that it works for Geforce users also!

slick
01-09-06, 08:55 PM
Omg! That's gotta be a VALVe speed record for a bug fix!

Mr. Hunt
01-09-06, 09:19 PM
Ah :(... overshininess was awesome! ;)

nV`andrew
01-09-06, 09:25 PM
yeah this patch is "really good"

has crashed steam on a countless number of people's computer and just stops at 98%. Then it goes to 131kb/s to 99%, then drops to 1kb/s and so on. Has finally downlaoded on my pc but has just remained frozen on so many others. this problem is all over the steam forums.

smallSHEEP
01-10-06, 06:33 AM
I enjoyed teh crazy shiney meself too it was kind of psychadelic. Not sure what all this talk of ATI is as this affects my Geforce too.

j0j081
01-10-06, 07:47 PM
Everything works better than ever now for me.

Rakeesh
01-10-06, 08:06 PM
I know it says ATI cards but reports on their forums indicate that it works for Geforce users also!

If this only affected geforce users, valve probably wouldn't have fixed it. There are a number of other graphical bugs that are specific to geforce cards (pretty annoying bugs at that) which valve is aware of, but they don't care to fix them.

Superfly
01-11-06, 07:23 AM
If this only affected geforce users, valve probably wouldn't have fixed it. There are a number of other graphical bugs that are specific to geforce cards (pretty annoying bugs at that) which valve is aware of, but they don't care to fix them.

such as.....?

ATI_Dude
01-11-06, 09:28 AM
such as.....?

1. Water banding.
2. The dreaded flashlight bug. Some areas stay pitch black when they should be illuminated by the flashlight beam.
3. Various fogging issues.

etc.

|MaguS|
01-11-06, 09:32 AM
Banding was fixed a LONG time ago aswell as the fogging issue, both also being a driver bug, Not the engines fault.

I also think the Flashlight bug was a driver issue aswell, can't recall exactly though.

Superfly
01-11-06, 09:33 AM
I have no problem with water banding in source games?? - screenie would help.

Acid Rain
01-11-06, 11:56 AM
I know it says ATI cards but reports on their forums indicate that it works for Geforce users also!Fixed problem users with ATI cards...:D

Rakeesh
01-11-06, 01:14 PM
1. Water banding.
2. The dreaded flashlight bug. Some areas stay pitch black when they should be illuminated by the flashlight beam.
3. Various fogging issues.

etc.

Also textures randomly turning pitch black to all light sources instead of just the flashlight, and the dx9 bug where the floor is only shiny depending on what angle you look at it from.

ATI_Dude
01-12-06, 07:05 AM
I have no problem with water banding in source games?? - screenie would help.

Load up the first Coast level. Look at the ocean and you'll notice horizontal banding.

ATI_Dude
01-12-06, 07:56 AM
Banding was fixed a LONG time ago aswell as the fogging issue, both also being a driver bug, Not the engines fault.

I also think the Flashlight bug was a driver issue aswell, can't recall exactly though.

1. The banding issue was first fixed by a driver, but later returned after a Source engine update. It has been there ever since. Load up the first Coast level and look at the ocean. You'll notice horizontal banding which is not present on Radeon cards.

2. The fogging issues are still there and are explicitely mentioned in the Forceware driver release notes as en engine issue ("fog is different on ATI cards..."). It's be pretty stupid of Nvidia to mention the issue if it doesn't exist, don't you think?

3. The flashlight bug is engine related too. I'm sure Nvidia would have fixed it along time ago if they could. Half-life 2 is one of the most popular games which has been scrutinized by many community and computer related websites. This raises the possibility of negative publicity and the need to address the issues (if possible).

Three strikes and you're out :D

ynnek
01-16-06, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=AlphaWolf_HK]Also textures randomly turning pitch black to all light sources instead of just the flashlight[QUOTE]

Hmm, I only had this problem under specific cases.. While waiting to join a server, I would alt tab out from full screen mode back ot my desktop to do stuff.. then I would alt-tab back into cs source full screen mode and notice I already autojoined in. Then either the textures will be all pitch black ot all light sources.. or sometimes I would get relaly "odd" textures..