PDA

View Full Version : Just bought an X-Fi - any tips?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Superfly
01-11-06, 04:27 AM
As the title says I just got myself an X-Fi card (for 1/2 price) :cool:

other than grabbing the latest driver/Audio console what do I need and what settings do you guys recommend....?

I use a combination of speakers for listening to music (Hi-Fi speakers) and posh headphones for gaming.

I look forward to your advice.

thanks.

Superfly
01-11-06, 06:28 AM
did JAkUp solve his popping problems?? - I started reading the thread over at the creative forums but its just goes on forever and I got bored.

thanks.

Fotis
01-11-06, 06:47 AM
The popping issue will go away with a future driver update but my advice is to try all pci slots and see if the problem is still there.I'm not sure if the popping issue applies to VIA mobos too so you might be fine anyway.
There is nothing else that comes to mind but the headphone sound quality improvement you will notice.Enjoy!

Superfly
01-11-06, 06:52 AM
Ok thx - I dont have the card yet - should arrive on Friday and hopefully I wont have any popping issues......

Should I leave the crystalizer off??

Fotis
01-11-06, 07:12 AM
I'd say give it a try.Some people like it, some hate it.
In my personal experience it improves poor quality audio samples like mp3 but its kinda useless with high quality samples.

superklye
01-11-06, 08:27 AM
I'd say give it a try.Some people like it, some hate it.
In my personal experience it improves poor quality audio samples like mp3 but its kinda useless with high quality samples.
I disagree...I think it sounds fantastic on everything.

Use Winamp in combination with the 4Front EQ plugin for the best settings possible. I use the Creative, Winamp and 4Front EQs all in combination to get the perfect sound.

What kind of speakers do you have?

Superfly
01-11-06, 08:37 AM
Hi Superklye, Im using Sony Pro DJ headphones (MDR-SA3000) for gaming/solo music listening http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=MDRSA3000&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_Headphones_CDSeriesStudioMonitor

and 2.1 Logitech speakers for gereral playback/entertaining.

jolle
01-11-06, 10:46 AM
For gaming, use the HeadPhone setting and CMSS 3d, its really really great IMO.
Altho it might be pretty personal, I demoed it to a friend and all he heard was the sound panning left to right and back again, while I can close my eyes and point in the exact direction of the sound.

The different modes is a "bit" of a hassle, good part is they remember their own speaker settings, so when I switch to "entertainment" to play MP3, it will remember the "2 speaker" settings, and any other setting I have changes, like turning off CMSS for example, or changing the degree on the Crystalizer.

My 1 wish at the moment (other then more game support for EAX5) is something similar to NVs profiles for the drivers, so it autochanges modes depending on the app, ofcource that could collide if you launch WinAMP and a game at the same time, but that can be sorted out by priorities..

Superfly
01-11-06, 11:04 AM
sounds good - thanks mate.

CaptNKILL
01-11-06, 11:26 AM
The crystalizer sounds amazing to me... generally I do like excessively clear sound (maybe its to make up for some hearing damage I got a few years back...), so to me the crystalizer on 100% sounds fantastic most of the time. Others will probably find it too sharp (thats how i would describe it anyway).

Also, if you have a seperate center\sub connection (ie, for 5.1), MAKE USE OF THE BASS REDIRECTION. My system sounded pretty muddy when I left bass settings alone, but when I lowered the sub crossover frequency to 90 it sounded a LOT more clear and after some EQ tweaks, everything sounds balanced and the bass has a hell of a punch without sounding "boomy". Im using Logitech Z5500s though, so if youre using anything else Id recommend testing things yourself to see what settings you prefer.

Also, when you install the software off the CD, go through it carefully. Theres some nasty crap on there I wouldnt touch with a 50 foot pole. After youre done installing from the CD, install the updated driver from their website. If you just install the update alone, youll be missing a lot of cool features. Theres an OpenAL update around here somewhere too... search the forums a little, Ive heard a few people say it fixed some problems for them.

I did everything I listed above and this card has been fantastic. All of my games sound great. My music sounds amazing. Movies sound great. I havent had any problems at all.

Great card :)

ynnek
01-11-06, 12:22 PM
Install the minimum drivers install. it gives you that option.. Then go over to creative labs site and get the webupdates.. Also get the latest OpenAL stuff. BTW, I had some wierd quicktime problem that caused the installer to not work, untill I removed quicktime from my computer. strange..

I don't use crystallizer, and levae the CSDD 3d whateve rits called on though..

Bass redirection didn't seem to work very well for me though.

Actually, I perfer using 5.1 speakers on gaming too.. It sounds better, and to me, its easier to tell where things are, especially behind me, with a 5.1 speaker setup vs headphones.. I also have my speakers nicely positioned and wide apart, and my computer is in its own room too though.

I just leave mine in gaming mode... Only time I switch it is when I view a DVD.. but still evenhaven't checked out a DVD with DTS to test out the DTS decoding of the X-Fi.

It is a great card.. I was skeptical at first, but I'm glad I tried it out.

superklye
01-11-06, 01:33 PM
The crystalizer sounds amazing to me... generally I do like excessively clear sound (maybe its to make up for some hearing damage I got a few years back...), so to me the crystalizer on 100% sounds fantastic most of the time. Others will probably find it too sharp (thats how i would describe it anyway).

Also, if you have a seperate center\sub connection (ie, for 5.1), MAKE USE OF THE BASS REDIRECTION. My system sounded pretty muddy when I left bass settings alone, but when I lowered the sub crossover frequency to 90 it sounded a LOT more clear and after some EQ tweaks, everything sounds balanced and the bass has a hell of a punch without sounding "boomy". Im using Logitech Z5500s though, so if youre using anything else Id recommend testing things yourself to see what settings you prefer.

Also, when you install the software off the CD, go through it carefully. Theres some nasty crap on there I wouldnt touch with a 50 foot pole. After youre done installing from the CD, install the updated driver from their website. If you just install the update alone, youll be missing a lot of cool features. Theres an OpenAL update around here somewhere too... search the forums a little, Ive heard a few people say it fixed some problems for them.

I did everything I listed above and this card has been fantastic. All of my games sound great. My music sounds amazing. Movies sound great. I havent had any problems at all.

What stuff on the CD wouldn't you touch? I just did a "full" install because meh. I turn off all the stuff in the startup file so apart from the volume control thing and the few other bare minimum drivers running, all the other Creative stuff is disabled.

And I think I tried using the redirection, like ynnek, and found it to sound worse. I'll give it another shot though, because of everything, it seems the bass is the muddiest sounding part.

And I agree 100% with the Crystallizer. It's AMAZING. The sound is so crisp, clear and sharp when it's at 100%, plus, using the three EQs, I'm able to fine tune to my heart's content.

Such an AMAZING soundcard. I love it so much.

DansFace
01-11-06, 05:39 PM
Turn the volume up :D

einstein_314
01-11-06, 07:49 PM
I absolutely love my fatal1ty!! I had no problems when installing it (I had read tons of horror stories about getting it to work so I was nervous). All I did was uninstall my old Audigy2 ZS drivers, power off and remove audigy2, put in x-fi, boot up and install drivers. Then I updated to the newest ones. Like superklye, I did a full install and have had no problems. I just made sure none of the stuff starts up.

I just tried the bass redirection thing and wow, I like it. The bass was quite muddy and overpowering before (I had to turn it down on my Z5300's) Now I can run it at normal and it sounds great. I put it at 80 (there is a little arrow there and apparently that's the THX recommended setting?)

And the crystallizer sounds amazing. I have it at 100% and all my music sounds so much better.

I leave it in entertainment mode all the time except when playing games. And the headphone 3d cmss thing is amazing. I use it with my Sennheiser HD555's. :D

superklye
01-11-06, 08:17 PM
Holy. Mother. of. God. I tried out the bass redirection again, putting it at 80Hz as the THX recommendation said, and HOLY CRAP. The bass sounds absolutely amazing! I cranked up the 31Hz and 62Hz EQ settings in 4Front one more notch and it just sounds fantastic! It's so crisp and clear now!

HOLY CRAP!

EDIT: Listening to All the Love in the World, it's amazing what the redirection did. It not only cleaned up the bass, but everything else! The piano, tamborine and snare drums all sound so much more crisp and clear. God, this is AWESOME.

OWA
01-11-06, 08:27 PM
Yeah, like someone else mentioned, if you use headphones the X-Fi is great, especially for gaming.

For gaming, I have the crystalizer off and the 3D mode on.

For music, I have the crystalizer on and the 3D mode off (although, if I watch a movie or something I'll sometimes turn on the 3D mode).

I use headphones almost exclusively.

CaptNKILL
01-11-06, 09:10 PM
What stuff on the CD wouldn't you touch? I just did a "full" install because meh.
Heh, I dont remember them exactly but as soon as I saw a checkbox for Free AOL I decided to go through carefully. Ive seen AOL-related programs destroy computers just by being installed. F*** that :p

LTech221
01-12-06, 12:34 AM
I just picked up an X-Fi Platinum too to replace my Audigy 1 Platinum & M-Audio Revolution combo :D. But I gotta question about the crystalizer. Does that just only work when u play music or mvoies through creatives suite of players or is it once u set it its system wide, like say it will be in effect if I use foobar or something?

superklye
01-12-06, 12:52 AM
It's a system-wide effect. It's turned on in the drivers and anything that uses the X-Fi for sound will have whatever effects are currently being used applied to it.

LTech221
01-12-06, 02:17 AM
As I now see :D . Loving the sound im getting from this card right now although I would have really wanted the Elite Pro for its upgraded dacs/output but from what im listening too its = if not better than the Revolution. I know it kills that card in gaming but im surprised how good this is sounding for Movies/Music right now (nana2)

Superfly
01-12-06, 05:09 AM
roll on tommorrow so I can get this thing installed.

jolle
01-12-06, 09:15 AM
If I understand it right the Crystalizer will give best results on compressed and lowbit rate audio, since it basicly upsamples the sound, and tries to guesstimate the blanks or some such..

acrh2
01-12-06, 09:39 AM

What's this Bass Redirection thing you speak of?

Superfly
01-12-06, 09:56 AM
its a fequency crossover setting AFAIK........was found under speaker settings on my old Audigy 2

acrh2
01-12-06, 10:18 AM
I didn't install the drivers from CD. I never do, which is why my system tends to run smoothly, like buttah. I just installed the latest from Creative website. All I got is Creative Audio Console. There's no setting like that there.

Any X-FI owners, could you plaese tell me where exactly that option resides so I can install only that ap.

Thanks.